British Speedway Forum
ZagarRacing

Premiership Supporters Cup

The reason for the decline for me is the sport no longer has anything left for the supporters to get ramped up about. 

The whole working man's aspect has disappeared. Rider punch ups, deliberate fencing, aggressive racing, argumentative managers with referee's etc. It's all gone.

The sport is to clean cut, rider's all mate's. No passing is attempted much unless an easy opportunity presents itself.

For the supporters, more often than not you part with your hard earned, listen to abysmal centre green presentation, abysmal music, abysmal processional racing, abysmal atmosphere but people claim £17-£18 is cheap for a "professional" sport?!?!?

The sport currently, is so abysmal, many wouldn't part with a £1 on a weekly basis with the extra costs of meeting day fuel, food and drink etc.

British Speedway is in an absolute quagmire and there's absolutely no chance of a fix.

British Speedway is 'bleeding out' and waiting for it's last breath to be taken.

I firmly now believe that the promoters know then end is coming and are intentionally winding down the sport until it's completely unviable. 

Clubs are now closing as buyers are impossible to come by. 

I think we just have to get into the mind set for the inevitable. Those that still get enjoyment will continue, those that don't will never return, that's where we are, the point of no return folks.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The reason for the decline for me is the sport no longer has anything left for the supporters to get ramped up about. 

The whole working man's aspect has disappeared. Rider punch ups, deliberate fencing, aggressive racing, argumentative managers with referee's etc. It's all gone.

The sport is to clean cut, rider's all mate's. No passing is attempted much unless an easy opportunity presents itself.

For the supporters, more often than not you part with your hard earned, listen to abysmal centre green presentation, abysmal music, abysmal processional racing, abysmal atmosphere but people claim £17-£18 is cheap for a "professional" sport?!?!?

The sport currently, is so abysmal, many wouldn't part with a £1 on a weekly basis with the extra costs of meeting day fuel, food and drink etc.

British Speedway is in an absolute quagmire and there's absolutely no chance of a fix.

British Speedway is 'bleeding out' and waiting for it's last breath to be taken.

I firmly now believe that the promoters know then end is coming and are intentionally winding down the sport until it's completely unviable. 

Clubs are now closing as buyers are impossible to come by. 

I think we just have to get into the mind set for the inevitable. Those that still get enjoyment will continue, those that don't will never return, that's where we are, the point of no return folks.

Racing at the NSS is anything but boring, even from the gate races are close, and I firmly believe that other tracks that once provided good exciting races still can if prepared better. As for promoters intentionally winding it down, do me a favour, nobody intentionally throws good money after bad. I heard our promoters have a 5 year plan to turn Belle Vue round, I sincerely hope they can. As for the cost, when compared to other professional sports Speedway is relatively cheap, it's the extras that one can do without to keep one's cost down. 

• Like 1

So the Nss provides good racing,, how big are the crowds?? And how many people live in and around Manchester? 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

So the Nss provides good racing,, how big are the crowds?? And how many people live in and around Manchester? 

The sport is on a downward spiral and there is nobody out there who has the power or knowhow to fix it fullstop  . I would imagine in 10 years time we will be lucky if there are enough teams to run a 4TT event . I'm afraid it's just a gradual wind down.  The sport needs a lot of radical changes to survive costs have got be cut, it doesn't matter who you support or you have of the better stadiums at the moment .The simple fact is the sport is already on it's knee's and there is no easy way to rescue it from the inevitable

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Despite the continuing  decline at virtually every track the crowds at the NSS have increased significantly when compared to the the numbers at the dog track. 

There are fans who stopped attending after the move to the dog track who have now been attracted back because of the quality of the racing on offer at the NSS and some new fans. Nowhere near enough of them but certainly enough to show that entertaining racing does have an affect.

3 hours ago, hyderd said:

Racing at the NSS is anything but boring, even from the gate races are close, and I firmly believe that other tracks that once provided good exciting races still can if prepared better. As for promoters intentionally winding it down, do me a favour, nobody intentionally throws good money after bad. I heard our promoters have a 5 year plan to turn Belle Vue round, I sincerely hope they can. As for the cost, when compared to other professional sports Speedway is relatively cheap, it's the extras that one can do without to keep one's cost down. 

The NSS is an exception to the rule but unfortunately the new stadium has come along 20 years to late for the sport

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

Despite the continuing  decline at virtually every track the crowds at the NSS have increased significantly when compared to the the numbers at the dog track. 

There are fans who stopped attending after the move to the dog track who have now been attracted back because of the quality of the racing on offer at the NSS and some new fans. Nowhere near enough of them but certainly enough to show that entertaining racing does have an affect.

But there could/should be more people there.  It still relies too heavily on things which existing fans seem to focus on i.e. the actual racing, there is still virtually nothing going on apart from that and the back straight fans are segregated from the home straight amenities.

21 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

But there could/should be more people there.  It still relies too heavily on things which existing fans seem to focus on i.e. the actual racing, there is still virtually nothing going on apart from that and the back straight fans are segregated from the home straight amenities.

I agree that we need a lot more people there. More also needs to be done to entertain fans but steps have been taken. Most meetings are now completed in less than 2 hours, Chase the Ace has been introduced and the music has moved on from the 60/70's.

Fans were also segregated at Hyde Road but that is now a health and safety issue, which the promotion can do nothing about, as is the lack of facilities in the South Stand, which is a matter for the council.

Edited by Aces51

9 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I agree that we need a lot more people there. More also needs to be done to entertain fans but steps have been taken. Most meetings are now completed in less than 2 hours, Chase the Ace has been introduced and the music has moved on from the 60/70's.

Fans were also segregated at Hyde Road but that is now a health and safety issue, which the promotion can do nothing about, as is the lack of facilities in the South Stand, which is a matter for the council.

Can you elaborate please on this?  It is a purpose built stadium and they decided to segregate?  At other tracks you can access all parts of the stadium, including the pits and there are no H&S issues which prevent it. In fact, having to walk through a car park and up a steep bank presents health issues (particularly if not athletic, mobile and extremely alert like me ;)

Edited by SPEEDY69

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

the city of manchester is vast with 2 of the top premiership football teams & many other teams at lower level !! also 5/6 rugby league teams also rugby union lancashire cricket team ice hockey team manchester has far more other sporting events/teams to support than any other speedway team has FACT 

Edited by geoff58

54 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Can you elaborate please on this?  It is a purpose built stadium and they decided to segregate?  At other tracks you can access all parts of the stadium, including the pits and there are no H&S issues which prevent it. In fact, having to walk through a car park and up a steep bank presents health issues (particularly if not athletic, mobile and extremely alert like me ;)

So far as I understand it the segregation is because as a new build stadium it had to comply with the current health and safety requirements. These requirements do not apply retrospectively to existing stadiums.

11 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

So far as I understand it the segregation is because as a new build stadium it had to comply with the current health and safety requirements. These requirements do not apply retrospectively to existing stadiums.

correct doubt we will see another purpose built speedway stadium from scratch i mean not built around a existing stadium !! i feel green eyes are all the NSS :unsure:

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I walk through a car park at every track and where the hell is this steep bank?

Had a look on google maps and street view and I can’t find anything. 

3 minutes ago, ouch said:

I walk through a car park at every track and where the hell is this steep bank?

Had a look on google maps and street view and I can’t find anything. 

To get to the stand on the back straight.  Don't know if there's another way to reach it or not but just after the turnstile it's a big grassy bank to get up to the stand.