British Speedway Forum
ZagarRacing

Premiership Supporters Cup

What a complete dogs dinner, which numpty thought this would be a good idea. Its clearly open to abuse and i'm seriously beginning to think my time as a fan is coming to an end ...

• Like 2

Personally as team manager i would just hold back my top performer on the night for heat 15. Then chuck 2nd-5th into the vote, worst case scenario is you get 4th&5th in ht 14 and 1st&2nd in ht 15. 

I hope the voting numbers are published at some point, what would happen if everyone boycotted the stupid system and there was no votes for heat 14?

10 hours ago, tellboy said:

To me it sounds like your best 4 riders on the night will be in hts 14 and 15 the fans are just deciding the heats they would like to see them in.I think team managers would be foolish not to name their top 4 for ht14.

Exactly. I don't understand why some people are struggling with this concept.

I actually think it is a good idea, just with slightly uninspiring implementation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Why do stadiums need wifi? 

As a non-mobile phone user myself, I assume the majority that are, have to be on contract to get wifi, but those that have just a bog standard Pay-as-you-Go phone and text facility, are unable to take part in the voting.  Many older people in particular can't afford these sort of packages, and that includes myself, as much as I'd like to be able to, as I feel left out.

I think it's quite a fun idea. When it seemed that it was a case of just voting for heat 15 it seemed open to abuse, but this way it works well, as it's for heat 14 rather than heat 15.

I do think there should be some way of supporters at the stadium to vote, if they wish, without using a phone. I certainly won't be logging on to Twitter while at a match, although I appreciate some people will do that.

I can't see it ever catching on, but as a bit of fun for a season opening tournament it might be ok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crumpet77 said:

Will there be anything in place to prevent opposing fans and people following updates from influencing the vote ? There is also the fact that not every supporter has a smart phone.

Why should there be? Isn't that what it's supposed to encourage anyway. As long as the managers put their top 4 up for the vote then it's swings and roundabouts anyway. If you are voted weak in heat 14 you are strong in heat 15.

36 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Personally as team manager i would just hold back my top performer on the night for heat 15. Then chuck 2nd-5th into the vote, worst case scenario is you get 4th&5th in ht 14 and 1st&2nd in ht 15. 

I hope the voting numbers are published at some point, what would happen if everyone boycotted the stupid system and there was no votes for heat 14?

You will never get a boycott,,, cos there will be plenty of fans that will think it's a good idea.   

30 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Why do stadiums need wifi? 

Are you not supposed to vote via the clubs twitter feed. A Internet connection would be useful. 

The format of the competition sees the Premiership clubs divided into two groups, with the winner of each group progressing to a two-legged Final. Races prior to Heat 14 will be run under the old 13-heat format.

Any links to old 13-heat format?

16 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

As a non-mobile phone user myself, I assume the majority that are, have to be on contract to get wifi, but those that have just a bog standard Pay-as-you-Go phone and text facility, are unable to take part in the voting.  Many older people in particular can't afford these sort of packages, and that includes myself, as much as I'd like to be able to, as I feel left out.

I am an older person, i.e. retired; I do have a smart phone; I do have PAYG, even though I can afford  a contract, but am sensible enough not to be sucked into living my life with it in my hand and running my life. (In fact I'm seriously thinking of reverting to my old Nokia, - just need to check if its WiFi is compatible with my car's system.)
No, I wont be partaking in the scheme, even if every stadium does have WiFi. - 2ndbbh is right to ask: remember, most supporter are of the same generation as me, and won't have or know what 4G or 5G is or means, and will be unlikely to convert for this scheme to become meaningful.

• Like 1