British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

World U21 championship final round Pardubice Friday October 4th live on TV

7 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Not a very good meeting in my opinion, not much passing at all. The dominance of the Polish riders is killing this year's u21 series. If You ain't a Polish fan, or maybe a Danish fan, it is not worth watching. There are five Poles and four Danes in this year's junior world series. Way too much! I want to see some more Brits and Aussies, and where are the Americans, and the Swedes? I'd like to see each nation limited to a amximum of three riders in the final series, that's enough.

But all riders have gone through qualifiers haven’t they ?  So go there by right. The argument with the senior GPs is “we want to see the best in the world racing”, but there seems to be an unwritten rule only so many from one country can be represented. So, when the under 21’s work differently, seem to allow as many from a country as qualify, the call from some is to stifle that. Particularly with the younger ones, I think there has to be a free reign, if you good enough and qualify then you can ride in it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

But all riders have gone through qualifiers haven’t they ?  So go there by right. The argument with the senior GPs is “we want to see the best in the world racing”, but there seems to be an unwritten rule only so many from one country can be represented. So, when the under 21’s work differently, seem to allow as many from a country as qualify, the call from some is to stifle that. Particularly with the younger ones, I think there has to be a free reign, if you good enough and qualify then you can ride in it.

12 did- 3 wild cards- Moser ?????? Lidsey and Smektala

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

12 did- 3 wild cards- Moser ?????? Lidsey and Smektala

Wasn’t Dominik just outside the quali places? I don’t think he is good enough after the early hope with him swapping life in. Germany for Denmark. But he was one of the better of the unqualified riders from memory.

Not really for quotas, but the wildcards should be used intelligently for unlucky riders and to widen the countries a bit

Crowd of 2,000 isn’t bad for a junior meeting

Edited by iris123

10 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Not a very good meeting in my opinion, not much passing at all. The dominance of the Polish riders is killing this year's u21 series. If You ain't a Polish fan, or maybe a Danish fan, it is not worth watching. There are five Poles and four Danes in this year's junior world series. Way too much! I want to see some more Brits and Aussies, and where are the Americans, and the Swedes? I'd like to see each nation limited to a amximum of three riders in the final series, that's enough.

Agree with you about the racing as it was exactly great, meeting also spoilt by an over officious referee would made some strange decisions. As for the dominance of the Polish riders it not something that's new and IMO will continue for some time yet, the other nations need to start producing their youngsters. As you say it looks like Denmark have got one or two coming through and I am liking what I see in Jan Kevech. Britain does have decent looking riders coming through at younger age levels, hopefully they will get the time and investment to make it.

• Like 1

The dominance of the young Poles and Danes is too much. Limiting them to no more than three finalists in the world under 21s would be benefitial for the rest of the speedway world. 

I think the difference with the Polish juniors is the amount of support both financial and with the extraliga race format that they get. They have rocket ship bikes and are so sharp from the starts. And of course they are rather good. 

I thought the racing was awful. Seen much better at that odd shaped track in the past. The outside dirt line appeared for heats 19 & 20 only and the regrading before the semi's & final eliminated it.

Yes the Ekstraliga format does aid the young Poles but it is not all down to that, didn't Eliteserin have something similar & there are hardly any young Swedes looking like prospects. Having watched more Swedish league racing this year than I ever have before only Hellstrom-Bangs comes to mind.

I have to wonder how fit Lambert is, a shadow of the rider that won the SEC event at that venue last year.

The money available in Polish speedway is surely encouraging the best young bike racers to look to speedway rather than other sports. Add in the best of equipment and it's inevitable that they will have a conveyor belt of talent. 

As for Gustrow, it's like Mildenhall without banking. Without its banking a great little race track like West Row would be an awful kerb-crawling paradise - like Gustrow. Someone praised the racing last night. It speaks volumes about the standard of racing they must normally endure.

For every Katowice or Torun that One Sport use there's at least one dud like Gustrow. Sadly too many venue choices are based on anything but speedway....

Edited by RobMcCaffery

Güstrow actually used to be a very good racers track, just have to ask Andy Smith about it. But from comments I have read it has changed the past few seasons.Some have complained that it is good to start and then after about 12 heats the big track work during the break destroys the surface. Didn’t see last nights meeting, but I know one meeting this year seemed to show just that. Some very good racing, then the last few heats nothing

I also note that when I first went to the track about 15 years ago they still had rakers there, but a few years later it was just the tractors

Edited by iris123

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Güstrow actually used to be a very good racers track, just have to ask Andy Smith about it. But from comments I have read it has changed the past few seasons.Some have complained that it is good to start and then after about 12 heats the big track work during the break destroys the surface. Didn’t see last nights meeting, but I know one meeting this year seemed to show just that. Some very good racing, then the last few heats nothing

I also note that when I first went to the track about 15 years ago they still had rakers there, but a few years later it was just the tractors

To be honest Iris, I thought it was a decent meeting, maybe as I was there watching it live, always ads more excitement!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sommelier said:

To be honest Iris, I thought it was a decent meeting, maybe as I was there watching it live, always ads more excitement!

I have said before, that I have enjoyed a meeting at Vojens and later read comments on here and it seemed people st home were watching a different meeting, so I can understand

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col said:

I thought the racing was awful. Seen much better at that odd shaped track in the past. The outside dirt line appeared for heats 19 & 20 only and the regrading before the semi's & final eliminated it.

Yes the Ekstraliga format does aid the young Poles but it is not all down to that, didn't Eliteserin have something similar & there are hardly any young Swedes looking like prospects. Having watched more Swedish league racing this year than I ever have before only Hellstrom-Bangs comes to mind.

I have to wonder how fit Lambert is, a shadow of the rider that won the SEC event at that venue last year.

Couldn't agree with you more Col, regarding Lambert and you quite rightly posted that Lambert a shadow of the rider last year winning SEC at the same venue. Was there last night and the contrast in watching the riders in the pits was amazing, this is not a knock at Lambert, but the focus of the poles not a girlfriend to be seen, so different as a onlooker where as Lambert seemed to be spending far to much time with his partner. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I have said before, that I have enjoyed a meeting at Vojens and later read comments on here and it seemed people st home were watching a different meeting, so I can understand

Funny enough Iris we were at Vojens last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it, well the speedway anyway, as far as Vojens just absolutely nothing to do, and to find somewhere decent to eat was impossible! total contrast to Gustrow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sommelier said:

Yes, of course being there enhances the experience, and the appreciation of it. If nothing else there are too many distractions when watching at home, but sadly that is all I have to work with now due to my health. 

Being in good company and enjoying a great day out in an interesting part of the world puts you in a positive frame of mind and perhaps you remember the good moments rather than the bad. 

It seems to this remote observer that far too much of the incident at Gustrow comes from sneaking through on the white line. I'm a total fan of the big handful round the outside. I plead extensive experience of Belle Vue and Hackney in my youth as mitigation (the family Morton being a common denominator) ... There were a couple of outside moves at Gustrow but as the meeting drew on it began to fail to hold my attention. I do't enjoy the Eurosport commentaries either (I know, I'm a heretic) and I tend to tune out mentally , especially since the pro-One Sport statement abyss of last season during the pairs. 

I had a couple of years working weekly at Mildenhall and know exactly how good a track like it can entertain. Looking at Gustrow I see a missed opportunity - all it needs is banking and itcould emulate West Row and finally give Germany a track that people looked forward to seeing racing from. They're similar in length and plan, with the finish line just off bend four, hence my comparison. 

Okay, I'm still recovering from the disgrace that was Norden.

Edited by RobMcCaffery

11 hours ago, Bavarian said:

The dominance of the young Poles and Danes is too much. Limiting them to no more than three finalists in the world under 21s would be benefitial for the rest of the speedway world. 

Doing what you suggest would make the strength  of the meetings weaker, and some are already saying the racing wasnt that good anyway, me included.

• Like 1