British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PElford

National League Riders Championship at Wimbledon in 1975, 1976 and 1977

Hi

Does anyone know if there were any tape recordings (visual or audio) made of the above three meetings please? I can't find anything on You Tube but am hoping that someone was covering meetings at Plough Lane around this time.

Thanks for looking and for any information that you can provide on this.

Paul

I really doubt that there is any video footage, but there is a good chance that Wally Loak may have covered them on audio cassette.

Not sure if anyone else knows, or perhaps even has the recordings.

Steve

• Like 1

I was going to say the same,Steve.Pretty sure Wally Loak would have taped them

I was there for those meetings and what great days they were.Always one of my season highlights with all the various fan groups in attendance

Edited by iris123

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

I was going to say the same,Steve.Pretty sure Wally Loak would have taped them

I was there for those meetings and what great days they were.Always one of my season highlights with all the various fan groups in attendance

Aye, what a night that was in '77... Superb maximum from Colin, including one win in 60 seconds dead...

Steve

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chunky said:

Aye, what a night that was in '77... Superb maximum from Colin, including one win in 60 seconds dead...

Steve

Saw Colin as a 15 year old riding during the interval at Cowley in 1974. A match/exhibition race was put on between him and another 15 year old a certain Michael Lee and Colin was the victor. 1977 was Colin's year and he was another who didn't fulfill his undoubted potential (in my opinion) in the higher sphere of racing although he had a couple of initial useful seasons at Plough Lane before injury slowed him down and after moving to King's Lynn he eventually ended up back at Arlington.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Does anyone know the best places to look out for the Wally Loak recordings?

I too recall Colin Richardson winning his first race of the night in 1977 in 60.0 and this was greeted with a huge roar when the time was announced over the tannoy.  I also remember the final race of the night which was effectively a title decider between Colin, Martin Yeates and Tom Owen. If my memory serves me correctly, Yeates made the best start and led for about a lap before Colin lined him up on the home straight and overtook him on the bend where the pits used to be. The race was effectively over then and nothing could stop him from winning the championship with a brilliant 15 point maximum.

As a regular at Crayford, I was also lucky to see Colin Richardson break the track record there twice in 1977.  The first of these was in June 77 and the second took place a month later. The track record was broken for a third time that year in August by the then current World Champion, Peter Collins who visited Crayford with his Belle Vue side in a Challenge Match. Happy Days!

Paul Elford

• Like 2