Sigalos

Cook

Penhall

Autrey

Columbo

Nutter

B.Bast

Ott

Kelly & Shawn...I'm with Carter on the rest of 'em. Too much whooping and yee-hawing for my liking.

Oh Randy Green, even though he was hopeless. :D

On 1/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, gustix said:

Who are - not in riding order or having seen them - your top 10 favourite American riders? Here are mine:

Wilbur Lamoreaux, Jack Milne, Cordy Milne, Manuel Trujillo, Lloyd 'Sprouts' Elder, Bruce Penhall, Charles 'Pee Wee' Cullum, Mike Bast, Scott Autrey, Ernie Roccio.

It's interesting to recap on one's nominees for this thread. I first saw Wilbur Lamoreaux ride for Wembley in a match at New Cross in 1948. I only ever saw Bruce Penhall once- when he won his world title at Wembley in the early 1980s. My first sight of Charles 'Pee Wee' Cullum was as a Belle Vue rider, again at New Cross in 1949. And Scott Autrey as an Exeter rider at Wimbledon in the 1970s. Ernie Roccio when he was a Wimbledon rider in the early 1950s. Of those who I never saw ride the one who I would liked to have seen is Manuel Trujillo - once described by Jack Milne as 'speedway's most spectacular leg trailer'.

Edited by Guest

My favourite 10 are : McKnight, Autrey, Woods, Keeter, Hancock, Nutter, M. Bast, S. Bast, K. Moran and Penhall

Was never a fan of Gresham or Siggy

Edited by briggo

52 minutes ago, briggo said:

My favourite 10 are : McKnight, Autrey, Woods, Keeter, Hancock, Nutter, M. Bast, S. Bast, K. Moran and Penhall

Was never a fan of Gresham or Siggy

I remember the very brief UK stay by Steve Bast. Didn't he sign for Wembley in 1970, stayed about a week, then went back to the USA claiming it was too cold and damp in the UK and that he didn't like British food. I think his UK mentor was Bert Harkins. 

On 1/29/2019 at 7:45 AM, waiheke1 said:

I think its pretty clear noone is confused in that regard, given that Greg Hancock hasn't made any lists but others such as Lucero, pyeatt and Alan Christian have?

Unless you are implying mike bast would have filled all ten slots if this was a greatest riders list. 

The thread's not supposed to be 'greatest  riders' but one's own personal favourites.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, gustix said:

The thread's not supposed to be 'greatest  riders' but one's own personal favourites.

That is what waiheke1 is saying, John...

Steve

Why is there an anti-Mike Bast undertone in this thread - at least when I mention his name. So far as I recall he never did anything that could claim to have belittled British speedway. I did include him in my 10 FAVOURITE American riders. Result - adverse comments from some quarters.

Yet looking at other members Posts where Mike Bast is mentioned no response at all. It may be because ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO I made a comment that he rated among the world's greatest riders. Upon later reflection I retract that view. Or is it the famed BSF phenomen "...when a person makes a comment that is wrong don't let them forget it..." even when they make a retraction?

12 minutes ago, gustix said:

Why is there an anti-Mike Bast undertone in this thread - at least when I mention his name. So far as I recall he never did anything that could claim to have belittled British speedway. I did include him in my 10 FAVOURITE American riders. Result - adverse comments from some quarters.

There is not - and never has been - an anti-Mike Bast undertone on the BSF.

Now move along, there's nothing to see here...

Steve

• Like 1

As a matter of interest Mike Bast does appear in John Chaplin's book "Speedway Legends" which is an excellent publication with some fascinating photos from the Somerville Collection.

Sam Ermolenko, Bruce Penhall, Greg Hancock, Billy Hamill, Bobby Ott, Ronnie Correy, Dennis Sigalos,, Bobby Schwartz, Josh Larsen, Shawn Moran