British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

10 favourite British riders

1 hour ago, chunky said:

How splendid of you to post in response to your post which had no other responses posted in between your previous posted responses...:blink:

Steve

That's the trouble when you are wearing the wrong spectacles and have a touch of 'fat fingers on the keyboard'. Advancing years to blame.

Nigel (100%) Boocock. Peter Collins, Dave Jessup, Chris Morton, Tai Woffinden,  Mark Loram, Uncle Freddie, Simon Wigg, Joe Screen and Jimmy McMillan

I have done a great dis/service in leaving out a great Wimbledon der can’t,Roger Johns from my list.Never one of the best British riders,but a favourite Of mine,none the less

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I have done a great dis/service in leaving out a great Wimbledon der can’t,Roger Johns from my list.Never one of the best British riders,but a favourite Of mine,none the less

Having watched Roger ride for Eastbourne and a regular second-halver and occasional team member at Cowley (due to our promotional tie up) he slipped the net and when he eventually moved up ended up at Plough Lane where he gave sterling service over many years. Speedway can only exist with riders such as Roger and the 'Bernie Leighs' of this world.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Having watched Roger ride for Eastbourne and a regular second-halver and occasional team member at Cowley (due to our promotional tie up) he slipped the net and when he eventually moved up ended up at Plough Lane where he gave sterling service over many years. Speedway can only exist with riders such as Roger and the 'Bernie Leighs' of this world.

I recall attending a Bank Holiday home and away against Oxford where Roger was making an early appearance for us and Bobby McNeil for you and there was a comparison between the two.One announcer,possibly the Oxford one was trying to make out they had made the better signing.Bobby was something of a disappointment.I thought he would go on to better things,But was it an injury that stopped his development?

Eastbourne did an amazing job turning out young talent for the sport in this period

Edited by iris123

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

I recall attending a Bank Holiday home and away against Oxford where Roger was making an early appearance for us and Bobby McNeil for you and there was a comparison between the two.One announcer,possibly the Oxford one was trying to make out they had made the better signing.Bobby was something of a disappointment.I thought he would go on to better things,But was it an injury that stopped his development?

...unfortunately Bobby was another who got away from us. Again a regular second-halver (great days those at Cowley) but he rode for Reading during their championship winning year (1973) snd when they closed returned to Oxford in 1974 (doubling up with 'The Eagles' - perhaps one season too many?) When he eventually moved up appeared down the rode at Swindon.

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...unfortunately Bobby was another who got away from us. Again a regular second-halver (great days those at Cowley) but he rode for Reading during their championship winning year (1973) snd when they closed returned to Oxford in 1974 (doubling up with 'The Eagles' - perhaps one season too many?) When he eventually moved up appeared down the rode at Swindon.

Alot was expected of Bobby when he signed for Swindon and he did have one good season then he went on the slide.I really think the jump from NL to full time BL racing then was damn hard for any rider and bareing in mind the NL was a tough environment as well.

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Alot was expected of Bobby when he signed for Swindon and he did have one good season then he went on the slide.I really think the jump from NL to full time BL racing then was damn hard for any rider and bareing in mind the NL was a tough environment as well.

...what basically finished Bobby was witnessing the terrible crash at Hackney that left Vic Harding dead and Steve Weatherley paralysed. He has admitted since that he took it hard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...what basically finished Bobby was witnessing the terrible crash at Hackney that left Vic Harding dead and Steve Weatherley paralysed. He has admitted since that he took it hard.

That was it.I knew a crash played a part in his career somewhere along the line

• Like 1

Frank Varey, Jack Parker, Tommy Roper, Eric Boothroyd, Arthur Forrest, Graham Plant, Nigel Boocock, Mark Loram, Andrew Silver and Kenny Carter. I never saw Varey ride but we were born in the same village and he was a friend of my dad, who was also a motorcyclist.

Martin Ashby, Bob Kilby, Clive Hitch, Pete Munday, Mike Broadbank, Mike Keen, Geoff Bouchard, Bernie Leigh, Peter Collins and Terry Betts.

Slight Swindon bias I will admit

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Eastbourne did an amazing job turning out young talent for the sport in this period

Bobby McNeil signed for Swindon in 1975 I think. He spent the whole year at reserve and didn't do as expected until the final match of the season, when he suddenly top scored with 14 points.

The following year, he continued as he left of at the end of 75 and became a good heatleader for the Robins for a couple of years until injuring his coccyx in a crash, which halted his progress. I remember it well, as it was how I learned what a coccyx was, so it was not only an unfortunate injury but it was also very educational.

Pretty sure his average went over 8.00 at some point.

I always enjoyed his spotty face mask in particular.

He moved on to Hackney after that. I seem to remember reading he lost interest and quit speedway because of Vic Harding's crash.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 2

Peter craven,  mort, PC, Joe screen, Andy Smith, Mark loram, Kenny Carter,  Mike Lee, Stoney, Gary Stead.

No particular order.

Peter Craven, Peter Collins, Chris Morton, Martin Ashby, Arnold Hayley, Clive Featherby, Dave Morton, Simon Wigg, George Hunter, Malcolm Simmons