British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

10 favourite British riders

Craven The Boococks Ashby Betts Hitch Broadbank Wilson Steady Woffy Bomber Scotty Rico are the ones I've seen ride

40 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Craven The Boococks Ashby Betts Hitch Broadbank Wilson Steady Woffy Bomber Scotty Rico are the ones I've seen ride

That's an interesting new speedway name!

Who does Steady Woffy Bomber ride for?

Brian Brett, Ron How, Bob Andrews, Colin Pratt, Roy Trigg, Ray Wilson, Terry Betts, Peter Craven, Ivor Hughes, Ron Mountford

2 hours ago, BL65 said:

Brian Brett, Ron How, Bob Andrews, Colin Pratt, Roy Trigg, Ray Wilson, Terry Betts, Peter Craven, Ivor Hughes, Ron Mountford

Was chatting to Colin at Swindon last year, about the time he beat Knutsson at New Cross 63, PL Select v Southampton.The penultimate meeting at the Pan.

Edited by auntie doris

5 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Was chatting to Colin at Swindon last year, about the time he beat Knutsson at New Cross 63, PL Select v Southampton.The penultimate meeting at the Pan.

He could also have mentioned the time he beat Ivan Mauger twice at Cradley Heath in 1970, in heats 11 and 13 of a league match.  At that stage Ivan was riding in his 7th meeting of the season and had taken part in 26 races, winning 24, paid for a win behind Soren Sjosten in one race and failing to finish due to machine trouble in the other.  A memorable performance by CP.

• Like 2

Guest compost

Mine would be

Jack Parker, George Newton, Joe Abbott, Basil Harris, Bernie Leigh, Martin Ashby, Terry Betts, Dave Mullett, Lee Richardson & Carl Stonehewer

On 2/4/2019 at 1:30 PM, compost said:

Mine would be

Jack Parker, George Newton, Joe Abbott, Basil Harris, Bernie Leigh, Martin Ashby, Terry Betts, Dave Mullett, Lee Richardson & Carl Stonehewer

I first saw Jack Parker at New Cross in April 1946. George Newton when he made his post-war return also New Cross in 1948. Joe Abbott when he captained Harringay in a match at New Cross in 1947.  

Of the other riders named I saw Martin Ashby riding for Swindon at Wimbledon circa 1980s.

I can also recall that I saw Terry Betts but cannot pinpoint for who although it would have been at Wimbledon circa 1980s. 

The other riders with due respects to them are just speedway names to me.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:30 PM, compost said:

Mine would be

Think I can safely say I have at least heard of,if never seen,all the riders named on this thread,but Basil Harris is a new one for me!!

On 2/3/2019 at 9:36 AM, BL65 said:

From this list the only rider I never saw is Ivor Hughes. I won't detail when I actually saw the others for the first time.

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Think I can safely say I have at least heard of,if never seen,all the riders named on this thread,but Basil Harris is a new one for me!!

This may surprise you, but he is an ex-Don! Never really established himself there, but was at Plough Lane in the immediate post-war years. Also rode for Aldershot, Eastbourne, and Tamworth.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

I was wondering why he turns up in someone’s favourites.Was he known as a spectacular rider or a good team rider etc.Just out of interest

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

I was wondering why he turns up in someone’s favourites.Was he known as a spectacular rider or a good team rider etc.Just out of interest

As I said, he never really established himself at the higher level, but I think he was decent in the lower leagues. From what I have seen in a very few photos, he seemed a little ungainly, although that wasn't unusual at that time with the foot-forward style.

Obviously, you can find info on speedway researcher, although it is fragmented because of the different teams. If you Google his name, there doesn't seem to be any singular concise resource, and being well before my time, I can't really add too much.

As far as being a "favourite", there is more to it than simple ability and achievement. For instance, one of the first names on a list of favourites for me would be Jim Tebby. Jim was a good family friend, and we would meet at his house, then go to Ron How's pub and play darts! One of the loveliest guys I ever knew, and that is why he is a personal favourite of mine.

Basil could have been the same... I just wish it was easier to find stuff on riders like him.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Nigel Boocock, Les Owen, Peter Craven, Terry Betts, Michael Lee, Kenny Carter, Mark Loram, Simon Wigg, Lee Richardson, Chris Harris

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Doing a little research, and it seems Basil quite a name in the National League Division Three. In 1947, he was the backbone of the Eastbourne team, and won both the Supporters Cup and a qualifying round of the British Riders Championship. He then switched to Tamworth, where he was a heat leader, and then moved to Aldershot where he was a star for several years. He won the 1950 Easter Cup at Tongham against the likes of Jack Instead, Pat Flanagan, and Vic Gooden.

Steve

Guest compost
On 2/4/2019 at 1:30 PM, compost said:

I choose the above as the title of this thread was 'favourite British riders' rather than 'best' or 'greatest'.  They are My favourites.

I have never seen 3 of them ride (and a fourth only once in a demonstration) but that doesn't stop me from looking out for them when I see results or articles. I cheer them on in their endeavours even if those endeavours happened 50, 60, 70 years ago, to me it doesn't matter !!!

For me, Jack is the greatest British Speedway rider of all time and quite possibly the greatest Speedway rider ever - that is my opinion and I know others will disagree.  Ho hum.

My grandfather spannered for George in his very early days.  I wish I had managed to get him to record his stories about this but alas didn't and they are now gone. To overcome his disabilities and continue (or return to if you like) racing was just amazing.  Not quite the fairy tale ending the story needed though.  And a leg-trailer to boot too !

Joe is just one of those riders that kept on getting up and coming back (until that awful day when he didn't).  He epitomises the rough, tough, hard rider of the early days.

Basil ?  Well I have never seen him ride and only know about him from the history books.  But he was Our mainstay, Our highest points scorer and the person who took the most rides for us during our short track life.  I refer to Aldershot btw.  No way could I miss him out.  He was one of the top NL Division 3 riders between 1947 and 1952.  Some will sneer at choosing a 3rd Division rider (it is my choice) but why not ?  They provide us with entertainment, thrills and excitement so it's a fair choice (in imho).

GOBL is the first of the riders listed that I have actually seen in League action.  He was a trier and a very nice chap.  In my eyes he was way above riders like DJ and JD, not in skill or achievements but in that something that drew me to the sport.  RiP Bernie.

Crash, Bettsie and Mullett are all riders that I have admired and who were team men (or if you'd prefer, appeared to be team men from the view of a total on-looker/outsider).

Lee was a rider that I saw in his first season at Reading.  He was destined for greatness.  Sadly not to be.

Carl as a 2nd Division rider flew the flag in those early GP's for all those who were never going to be stars.  I think we need our underdogs.