British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

10 favourite British riders

Guest compost
13 hours ago, chunky said:

Doing a little research, and it seems Basil quite a name in the National League Division Three. In 1947, he was the backbone of the Eastbourne team, and won both the Supporters Cup and a qualifying round of the British Riders Championship. He then switched to Tamworth, where he was a heat leader, and then moved to Aldershot where he was a star for several years. He won the 1950 Easter Cup at Tongham against the likes of Jack Instead, Pat Flanagan, and Vic Gooden.

Steve

Easy to miss Basil as he was overshadowed by Trevor Redmond in 1950 & 51 and by Geoff Mardon in 51 (again).

Sadly on the way down in 52 he was still a heat leader for us despite riding for a side obviously on the way out.

Must admit I did do a search and came across a page of cigarette cards with Basil and quite a few I have no memory of,plus a few well known names,including a sporty  Briggo!!

I can’t ever remember seeing the cigarette card collection before.So it is always good to come across a surprise or two

Edited by iris123