British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

10 Favourite Riders Who Changed Nationality

Bob Andrews, Bill Landels, Tadeusz Teodorowicz, Ronnie Moore, Joe Weichlbauer, Dave Gifford, Rune Holta, Mitch Shirra, Roman Povazhny, John Cook.

Steve

• Like 1

Pinched from Wikipedia......

Ronnie Moore

In 1950 at the age of 17, Moore was the youngest rider ever to qualify for the final of the Speedway World Championship. He won the championship in 1954 and again in 1959. He also finished runner up on three further occasions. His first win was all the more notable given the facts that he was still only 21 years of age, that he was riding with a broken leg and that he won with a maximum score.

Got to be a good candidate for your list!

7 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Pinched from Wikipedia......

Ronnie Moore

In 1950 at the age of 17, Moore was the youngest rider ever to qualify for the final of the Speedway World Championship. He won the championship in 1954 and again in 1959. He also finished runner up on three further occasions. His first win was all the more notable given the facts that he was still only 21 years of age, that he was riding with a broken leg and that he won with a maximum score.

Got to be a good candidate for your list!

Which is why he is on my list... :blink:  My mum was at Wembley that night!

Steve

• Like 1

12 hours ago, moomin man 76 said:

Joonas Kylmakorpi - one admitedly rather than ten!

Joonas being pedantic doesn’t really fit as someone who changed nationality.I think he always had dual nationality and just used whichever he fancied in his favour

One or two of the Argentinians like Sanchez or Covatti might also fall into that category of having dual nationality?

Ferjan is someone who did change nationality

There is a good chance some of the Poles were born in Germany.Plech was born in a former german town that became part of Poland a few years before he was born.Wyglenda for instance was born in Rybnik in 1941 when it was again after a gap of 20 year a part of Germany.In fact in the Bote after WW1 as to which country the people wanted to be part of,Rybnik voted with a good majority to stay in Germany,but the surrounding area was massively in favour of being part of Poland.A similar thing happened in Vojens with Germany/Denmark,where Vojens wanted to remain German,but the surrounding rural area held the majority for Denmark

Some Yugoslavians or Soviet riders changed nationality due to their former country no longer existing.Trofimov was I think Soviet and later Ukraine

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Warren said:

Peter Vandenberg

Good call! Very accomplished rider who doesn't seem too well remembered these days.

Steve

1 hour ago, andout said:

How about Mark Loram?

As far as I am aware, Mark was only ever English; he never claimed Maltese nationality.

Steve

How many USSR riders came within 'new' republics i.e Ukraine and Russia basically after the USSR (Soviet Union) changed its political status?

Didn't Swindon legend Jerzy Trzeszkowski become Swedish?

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Didn't Swindon legend Jerzy Trzeszkowski become Swedish?

Pretty sure he did, although it was at the end of his career, and I don't think he ever represented Sweden in international competition.

I came close to including him on the list...

Steve

12 minutes ago, chunky said:

Pretty sure he did, although it was at the end of his career, and I don't think he ever represented Sweden in international competition.

I came close to including him on the list...

Steve

Yes I'm sure he did and if I recall it was Jan Andersson who recommended him to 'The Robins' as they rode for the same Swedish team.

Not to forget those like ex Trelawney rider,Mirko Wolter who started out as an East German and   ended as German