British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

10 Favourite Riders Who Changed Nationality

Rune Holta the Polish Norwegian

Edited by auntie doris

16 hours ago, Grachan said:

Didn't Swindon legend Jerzy Trzeszkowski become Swedish?

He became rubbish as well at Swindon, a true leg end ole Jerzy!

Not the same thing however I remember Wiggy taking out a Dutch license and Marvyn Cox a German one purely for convenience due to problems they had experienced with the governing ACU within the UK.

I don't think that a rider changing his racing licence is the same as changing his nationality. The latter is a complex legal matter and can take several years to be ratified and then implemented.

Many of the riders who have been named merely changed the country where they chose - for convenience - to be licensed by.

It would be interesting to learn how many of the riders named so far actually went through a complex legal naturalisation to another country rather than just decided for convenience to race on a different country's licence?

I think all of those mentioned apart from those with a different license,Kylmakorpi the Argentine Italians possibly went through some process of getting another nationality.It might not have been s complicated two year process for those who found their original country no longer existed I.e Soviets,Yugoslavia,Czechoslovakia,East German ,But it was a process

Gregori Laguta found the process of getting a Latvian Citizenship too difficult and gave up,as apparently Latvia have a tough language test you have to pass

On 2/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, iris123 said:

Not to forget those like ex Trelawney rider,Mirko Wolter who started out as an East German and   ended as German

And West Germans who became just German! Probably because of the unification of the country. A simple and obvious matter. 

6 hours ago, gustix said:

And West Germans who became just German! Probably because of the unification of the country. A simple and obvious matter. 

That was just a term,rather than a nationality.Both sides thought they were the real Germany,but the DDR(East Germany )didn’t exist any more

In the other cases it was a big country that split into smaller territories,but in East Germany’s case it was a smaller country that joined another

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

I think all of those mentioned apart from those with a different license,Kylmakorpi the Argentine Italians possibly went through some process of getting another nationality.It might not have been s complicated two year process for those who found their original country no longer existed I.e Soviets,Yugoslavia,Czechoslovakia,East German ,But it was a process

Gregori Laguta found the process of getting a Latvian Citizenship too difficult and gave up,as apparently Latvia have a tough language test you have to pass

Timo Lahti got a swedish passport a few years ago. Yes a dual citizen.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 6:37 AM, steve roberts said:

Not the same thing however I remember Wiggy taking out a Dutch license and Marvyn Cox a German one purely for convenience due to problems they had experienced with the governing ACU within the UK.

My opinion exactly steve roberts. A change of racing licence is not the same thing as changing nationality.

48 minutes ago, tigerowl said:

Alan Rivett, Cliff Watson, Tommy Sweetman

If I remember Alan was born a Kiwi but took out Australian citizenship...or was it the other way round?

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

If I remember Alan was born a Kiwi but took out Australian citizenship...or was it the other way round?

I'd forgotten about Alan!  Yep, born in New Zealand...

Steve

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, chunky said:

Bob Andrews, Bill Landels, Tadeusz Teodorowicz, Ronnie Moore, Joe Weichlbauer, Dave Gifford, Rune Holta, Mitch Shirra, Roman Povazhny, John Cook.

Steve

Interesting one.He was born in Austria and went to Australia.He was naturalised,but lived most of his life in the UK I think.So did he remain an Aussie or did he get UK citizenship?Making him someone who changed twice?