British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

10 favourite Irish riders

15 minutes ago, andout said:

Mike Tams

When the late Mike Tams was in regular contact with me I understood that he and his brother were born in Canada but taken to England as children. I am intrigued that he may well have been Irish. An interesting comment andout.

15 minutes ago, gustix said:

When the late Mike Tams was in regular contact with me I understood that he and his brother were born in Canada but taken to England as children. I am intrigued that he may well have been Irish. An interesting comment andout.

He was actually born in Winnipeg, Canada but spent an awful lot of time in Ireland.....and was, maybe unofficially, known as an Irish-Canadian.

He did also ride for Ireland many times and I believe he was the Captain on several occasions.

Edited by andout

Sullivan Doyle Murphy OLeary Brady OHooligan Milligan ONeill Obama ODear

33 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Sullivan Doyle Murphy OLeary Brady OHooligan Milligan ONeill Obama ODear

Osillybegger!!!!

Edited by Guest

Not sure but wasn't Mike Fitzpatrick, 1980's reserve/second halfer at Hackney and Rye among others Irish?

may possibly have been second generation

Here's Top Ten Irish riders I have collated from previous nominations in this thread:

Fay Taylour, Dom Perry, Eric French, Alan Marr, Ginger O'Bierne, Mick Savage, Des Monson, Derek Edwards, Tommy Kieran, Alan Marr.

24 minutes ago, gustix said:

A detailed analysis of Fay Taylour's life and racing career.

https://thevintagent.com/2017/10/03/from-glorious-to-notorious-the-fay-taylour-story/

Seems like a few mistakes in there,but otherwise a good read

She surely wasn’t the first European or US dirt track rider to visit Australia!!!

Edited by iris123

30 minutes ago, gustix said:

A detailed analysis of Fay Taylour's life and racing career.

https://thevintagent.com/2017/10/03/from-glorious-to-notorious-the-fay-taylour-story/

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Seems like a few mistakes in there,but otherwise a good read

She surely wasn’t the first European or US dirt track rider to visit Australia!!!

Contact the author re the/any mistakes. I agree that USA dirt track riders raced in Australia before Fay Taylour - possibly one of them was Lloyd 'Sprouts' Elder?