British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

10 favourite Irish riders

A challenge to find 10 Irish speedway riders. There was activity in both the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland circa late 1940s early 1950s period. The only Irish riders I can trace at the moment are Dom Perry, J Costello, F Cipa.

Edited by Guest

I don't recall having ever seen one?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I don't recall having ever seen one?

Dom Perry had an all-too-short career with Wimbledon in the early 1950s. 

Here's some more Irish riders from the early 1950s. Tommy Kieran, Alan Marr, Paddy Cullen, Ginger O’Byrne, Paddy O’Lone, Danny Spinel.

So far nine names overall, there must be one more to make it the 'magical 10'!

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, gustix said:

A challenge to find 10 Irish speedway riders. There was activity in both the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland circa late 1940s early 1950s period. The only Irish riders I can trace at the moment are Dom Perry, J Costello, F Cipa.

I remember Richie Tyler from Ireland, doing a second half at Halifax (late60s-early70s).

1 minute ago, foamfence said:

I remember Richie Tyler from Ireland, doing a second half at Halifax (late60s-early70s).

Well done. Overall I think we now have the 'magical 10' named. And weren't the two Canadians Mike and Les Tams who were at Eastbourne in 1947, then over the next few seasons in Ireland both of Irish descent?

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

Excellent foamfence. Lots of little known Irish riders named in the Link.

Let’s not forget my supplier link from which you subsequently copied the names in one of your postsB)

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Let’s not forget my supplier link from which you subsequently copied the names in one of your postsB)

Indeed not. Full acknowledgments to you.

16 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

surely the most famous Irish rider ever was Fay Taylour?

Be difficult to include her in ‘favourite’ seeing as she was classed a traitor,even though she was quite possibly the best Irish rider of them all.But she was also probably the most famous,as you say