British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

10 favourite Danish riders

6 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Limited to riders I've seen and with the clarification that's it favourites rather than best:

Hans Nielsen

Jens Rasmussen

Jan Staechmann

Charlie Gjedde

Niels-Kristian Iversen

Erik Gundersen

Jan O Pedersen

Brian Andersen

Per Sorensen

Thomas Jorgensen

I never saw Arne Pander ride, while Ole Olsen wouldn't be included in my favourite 1000 Danish riders - he was a complete git to Hans Nielsen! 

Totally agree Rob...and as a Wolves rider he rarely put in an appearance at Cowley (1975 especially) treating the fans with contempt as was highlighted in one of the Oxford programmes's editorial at the time. Thankfully he refused to be allocated to Oxford in 1975 and we got the sublime Dag Lovaas instead after a long complicated rider shuffle.

I do seem to recall Olsen was probably one of the few riders to be booed on winning a world individual final.But he always seemed to ride well at Plough Lane and I do remember the cries of ‘Ole,Ole,Ole..oi,oi,oi’!!!

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I do seem to recall Olsen was probably one of the few riders to be booed on winning a world individual final.But he always seemed to ride well at Plough Lane and I do remember the cries of ‘Ole,Ole,Ole..oi,oi,oi’!!!

One of my best memories from Plough Lane was when Roger and Eddie got a last-heat 5-1 (from the back) against Olsen and Shirra to earn us a draw! Brilliant race...

Steve

• Like 2

Rob is also a bit unfair as this is ‘riders’ and Robs problem with Ole is down to the time he was Danish team manager and his association with Erik,I guess.But each to their own.I know I read Michanek didn’t like Ole

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Rob is also a bit unfair as this is ‘riders’ and Robs problem with Ole is down to the time he was Danish team manager and his association with Erik,I guess.But each to their own.I know I read Michanek didn’t like Ole

Never liked Olsen, even before that. Steve Roberts has detailed why.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gustix said:

The name of Morian Hansen always rekindles the way in which he was as I see it badly treated in regard to British speedway post-war. Before September 1939 Morian had been mainly linked lithesome distinction to Hackney and also used to make infrequent midget car appearances.

In WW2 he flew with the RAF and won a medal for bravery. Offhand I think he also reached the rank of Squadron Leader.

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

I think this terrible treatment of a war hero was indicative of how we treated ‘foreigners’ who fought on our side.Even in fairly recent times with Gurkhas.And I guess special conditions were given to Lammy or were Americans still considered part of the Empire at this time?

I visited Wikipedia re Morian Hansen's war service as a Squadron Leader with the RAF. I mentioned he won a medal - I was wrong. The list is as follows:

During the war Hansen was awarded -

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, iris123 said:

...Neither did Steve Bastable very much when he rode for 'The Bees' and Coventry Team Manager Vic White felt that Olsen often undermined him. Bo Petersen was another who got the full wrath of Olsen because he didn't 'toe the line'.

Trouble with Olsen he was/is a control freak.

Here is the great Morian Hänsen on what is probably the Danish equivalent of This is your Life.Mostly in Danish,But a piece in English talking about WW2 with an English RAF guy and also one of his Danish contemporaries On the dirt tracks,Svend Age Engstrôm

https://www.dr.dk/bonanza/serie/62/her-er-dit-liv/70565/her-er-dit-liv-morian-hansen

Edited by iris123