British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

10 favourite Danish riders

Ole Olsen,Morian Hansen,Niels Sörensen,Erik Gundersen,Hans Nielsen,Finn Thomsen,Nicki Pedersen,Hans Andersen,,Charly Gjedde,Kenni Arendt

Edited by iris123

H.Nielsen, J.Rasmussen, Sorensen, B.Petersen, J.O.Pedersen, Rosenkilde...no way Olsen would get on any favourite list of mine!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

H.Nielsen, J.Rasmussen, Sorensen, B.Petersen, J.O.Pedersen, Rosenkilde...no way Olsen would get on any favourite list of mine!

Thought maybe Pander would make your list,even though he was just before your time,I guess

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Thought maybe Pander would make your list,even though he was just before your time,I guess

Yes I'm only including riders I have seen ride and unfortunately Pander was before my time although when mum worked at the local health centre she recalls that he was a regular visitor!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Two 'Great Danes' from pre-WW2 - Morian Hansen and Baltazar Hansen. Post WW2 I used to follow with interest the career of Arne Pander.

28 minutes ago, gustix said:

Two 'Great Danes' from pre-WW2 - Morian Hansen and Baltazar Hansen. Post WW2 I used to follow with interest the career of Arne Pander.

Not Baltazar,but Baltzer Hansen is the name of the pre-war Dane

Just to put the evidence of a previous discussion

Edited by iris123

Finn Thomsen, Bo Petersen, Erik Gundersen, Jan O. Pedersen, Hans Andersen and Nicki Pedersen-although only the last few years, as he's been the only rider to interfere with the nauseating Monster 'love-in' in the gp's.

20 hours ago, iris123 said:

Not Baltazar,but Baltzer Hansen is the name of the pre-war Dane

Just to put the evidence of a previous discussion

Yes of course that was based upon the 'Greatest Five Ever?' (Blimey I created that thread over one and half years ago!) whereas this thread is about favourite Danes and to re-iterate Olsen wouldn't make my list.

Edited by steve roberts

26 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes of course that was based upon the 'Greatest Five Ever?' (Blimey I created that thread over one and half years ago!) whereas this thread is about favourite Danes and to re-iterate Olsen wouldn't make my list.

I thought it was fairly clear I only linked to the old thread to present the evidence about Baltzer Hansen’s name.I didn’t fancy trawling the net yet again,to seek out the links.

It had nothing to do with any of your posts or choices 

• Like 1

Nielsen Gundersen Olsen Iversen Korneliessen Gjedde Nahlin Karger Andersen Kildemand

On 1/30/2019 at 8:24 AM, iris123 said:

Ole Olsen,Morian Hansen,Niels Sörensen,Erik Gundersen,Hans Nielsen,Finn Thomsen,Nicki Pedersen,Hans Andersen,,Charly Gjedde,Kenni Arendt

The name of Morian Hansen always rekindles the way in which he was as I see it badly treated in regard to British speedway post-war. Before September 1939 Morian had been mainly linked lithesome distinction to Hackney and also used to make infrequent midget car appearances.

In WW2 he flew with the RAF and won a medal for bravery. Offhand I think he also reached the rank of Squadron Leader.

Post-war British speedway restricted to only British and what are now known as British Empire/Commonwealth riders. Based on his wartime career and the fact he was living in the UK, Hansen appealed against the ban so he could resume his British speedway career. His application was rejected.

As a result Hansen returned to Denmark and for several years competed infrequently in speedway meetings in Denmark and Germany.

Edited by Guest

I think this terrible treatment of a war hero was indicative of how we treated ‘foreigners’ who fought on our side.Even in fairly recent times with Gurkhas.And I guess special conditions were given to Lammy or were Americans still considered part of the Empire at this time?

Limited to riders I've seen and with the clarification that's it favourites rather than best:

Hans Nielsen

Jens Rasmussen

Jan Staechmann

Charlie Gjedde

Niels-Kristian Iversen

Erik Gundersen

Jan O Pedersen

Brian Andersen

Per Sorensen

Thomas Jorgensen

I never saw Arne Pander ride, while Ole Olsen wouldn't be included in my favourite 1000 Danish riders - he was a complete git to Hans Nielsen! 

• Like 1