British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

10 favourite women riders

My list of favourite 10 women speedway riders: Dot Cowley, Eva Asquith, Gladys Thornhill, Fay Taylour, 'Sunny' Somerset, Jessica Lamb, Angel McAlan, Kelly Watkins, Maxine How, Katie Mason.

Again I haven't seen any unless you count one of the LADA Wembley Indoor Meetings where I think a woman rode but can't recall a name (Bobbi something?)

Edited by steve roberts

We had and have a few girls racing on our speedways and longtracks here in Germany. Our current number one is 17-year old Celina Liebmann.

Nadine Frenk was quite a usefull long-track and grass-track rider until a few years ago.

In the 1970s there was Petra Lange, to the best of my knowledge the very first German female solo rider in long-track racing, and in the late 80's-early 90's Tanja Jöckel rode speedway at senior level. She even rode Overseas in the Argentinean Championships.

Currently there's plenty of girls competing in the youth classes here iin Germany.

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 1

There was also the twin sisters (Grosser I now remember)here in North Germany about 5 years back that were doing well until Egon Müller backed them for big things and then they disappeared :D

Also remember seeing a couple of other local women riding,Jessica Bilgenroth who wasn’t too bad and Sarah Strawinsky who swapped to being a sidecar passenger.Then of course quite a few Danish girls took up the sport.Sabrina Bøgh being the most successful female of recent times.The beautiful Jørgensen who was signed by one of the Polish clubs as a publicity stunt!!

Edited by iris123

Sabrina Bogh certainly was the most successful of all the young speedway girls I remember.

Michaela Krupickova from the Czeh Republic was also quite good a few years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Again I haven't seen any unless you count one of the LADA Wembley Indoor Meetings where I think a woman rode but can't recall a name (Bobbi something?)

That was American Bobbi Hunter.

Others appearing at indoor events were Julie Cross (Simon's sister) and Maxine Hill. I used to work with Maxine. She rode for the Hackney junior team, and was a VERY good grass-tracker.

Lisa Whibberly rode for Arena Essex juniors, and there was another girl at Exeter around the same time, although I can never remember her name...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Didn't Steve Bastables sister have a race against someone in the 70s at Dudley Wood

25 minutes ago, bruno said:

Didn't Steve Bastables sister have a race against someone in the 70s at Dudley Wood

I remember her having a go, but not sure where.  Her name was Pauline, I believe...

Steve

37 minutes ago, bruno said:

Was it Peter Collins' sister Anne?

The only woman speedway rider I have seen is Jessica Lamb who rode at Wimbledon in 2005.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

The only woman speedway rider I have seen is Jessica Lamb who rode at Wimbledon in 2005.

I've seen quite a few riders riding like an old woman...

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, gustix said:

My list of favourite 10 women speedway riders: Dot Cowley, Eva Asquith, Gladys Thornhill, Fay Taylour, 'Sunny' Somerset, Jessica Lamb, Angel McAlan, Kelly Watkins, Maxine How, Katie Mason.

I was once told but never had a clarification of a comment that 'Sunny' Somerset was the sister of post-WW2 Bristol riders Billy, John and Graham Hole.

Sticking to those I have seen the five that impressed me most were:

Jessica Lamb, Carly Gittus, Hayley Perault, Charlene Kirtland and Rachelle Kerr (sister of Chris).

Sabrina Bogh is undoubtedly the best female rider of the modern era; Celine Liebmann and Maja Aamand look to be the best of those currently active

Lisa Whibberly has the clever or cruel nickname of ‘whibberly wobbly’ I seem to remember