Kurilenko

Trofimov

Sayfutdinov

Lagta G.

Laguta A,

Gordeev

Klementiev

Checkranov

Plechanov, V.Gordeev,G.Gordeev, Laguta, A.Laguta, Sayutdinov, Trofimov, Khlinovsky,  Kuzmin, Klementiev.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Oordeev Bros (although they were once viewed with suspicion by the West as being one of the same!), Chylnovski, Paznikov, Trofimov, Pavlov, Kuzmin, Starostin, Kuznetsov.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:37 PM, steve roberts said:

Oordeev Bros (although they were once viewed with suspicion by the West as being one of the same!), 

Never heard that.I do know one of the Wiesböck twins,Alois was banned at one time,because he rode as his brother,Josef in a world championship quali!!!

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Never heard that.I do know one of the Wiesböck twins,Alois was banned at one time,because he rode as his brother,Josef in a world championship quali!!!

Goes back to when Vladimir received a years ban after using nitro during the 1971 World Final. Valeri then suddenly appeared on the international scene in 1972 and for a couple of years they never appeared together in a meeting in the west and a conspiracy theory began to develop that they were one in the same...hard to believe I know but I do remember the rumours and counter rumours flying around at the time. If I remember they eventually appeared together in Britain during a test series in 1974...unfortunately the Oxford meeting was cancelled and it wasn't until 1976 that I got to see the Russians in action (Swindon)

Good story if nothing else and probably fabricated by mischeivious western journalists at the time!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Re the Gordeev brothers.... I was browsing through Wikipedia about a week ago, just going through a few years of world championship qualifiers ie Continental, European etc, and there was a meeting that both brothers scored. Now if they had been the same person that must have been an interesting meeting when they raced against each other. Cant remember what year or what championship, but my eyes did not deceive me. 

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Good story if nothing else and probably fabricated by mischeivious western journalists at the time!

Well someone I guess at the Star also came up with the story about how Coventry’s East German,Gerhard Uhlenbrock escaped Communism hidden in a sidecar or maybe he had his family hidden.Anyway it was fake news as it is known nowadays

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Well someone I guess at the Star also came up with the story about how Coventry’s East German,Gerhard Uhlenbrock escaped Communism hidden in a sidecar or maybe he had his family hidden.Anyway it was fake news as it is known nowadays

I recall that Garry Middleton was instrumental in getting Gerhard a team place at Coventry in 1973.

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Re the Gordeev brothers.... I was browsing through Wikipedia about a week ago, just going through a few years of world championship qualifiers ie Continental, European etc, and there was a meeting that both brothers scored. Now if they had been the same person that must have been an interesting meeting when they raced against each other. Cant remember what year or what championship, but my eyes did not deceive me. 

I think that westerners were suspicious because they hadn't apeared together outside the communist block together which is how the story came about I guess. Good old 'cold war' speculation and mistique which then surrounded the old Eastern block. I do remember reading about it so I'm sure it wasn't just my memory playing tricks. May have been Dave Lanning who was always upto a trick ot two!

Edited by steve roberts

Dear old the late Dave Lanning RIP. I recall in the 1950s he claimed the then 'Speedway Star' columnists Danny Carter and Angus Kix were the same person.:icon_smile_clown:

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

As has been said, the idea of them being one and the same was just a crazy idea based on the western distrust of Eastern bloc nations at the time - and perhaps a little Lanning sensationalism!

They both rode in the 1976 World Team Cup final at White City. I think that was the only time I saw them together in person, but they were also in the 1975 final.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

As has been said, the idea of them being one and the same was just a crazy idea based on the western distrust of Eastern bloc nations at the time - and perhaps a little Lanning sensationalism!

They both rode in the 1976 World Team Cup final at White City. I think that was the only time I saw them together in person, but they were also in the 1975 final.

Steve

I think that that 'rumours' escalated because, obviously, Vladimir was barred from the World stage during 1972 Valeri suddenly appeared and rode in the 1972 World Final at Wembley and no one in the west was aware of him. As a matter of interest he was involved in the Briggo crash. In 1973 Valeri rode again in the World Final but didn't ride in Britain during the Daily Mirror World League competition whereas brother Vlad did. However Valeri did then ride at Wembley that same year during the World Team Cup whereas Vlad didn't.

Of couse they eventually teamed up together in Britain during the test series in 1974 and the rumour makers were made to eat their words. I recall that it was all good fun back then and speculation rife but of course proved pure nonsense.

Vladimir_Gordeev_01.jpg

... and here is a picture of the Gordeev Brothers !

Valeri is seen on the left side of this picture (wearing the USSR No.9 racejacket) and his elder brother Vladimir is on the right

• Like 1