British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

A favourite speedway era

1974-1984

2000-2006

1970 to 1980 for me. Tracks galore in London and the South East. The loss of West Ham in 1972 and Tommy in 1976 were the real low points of the decade for me personally.

• Like 1

1948 to 1955 at Bristol. absolutely potty about speedway then. Being so young obviously made a difference. In the winter I could play a card game called "Skido" where you could move riders around a track. I adapted the rules so that I could play it solo and ran whole meetings over 14 heats using names taken from old programmes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frigbo said:

1974-1984

2000-2006

What are your specific reasons please for these two favourite eras frigbo?

Edited by Guest

1974 was the first year I went and 1984 was the last year of the top league having a decent number of teams in it. 

2000-2006 was an era where my enthusiasm was re-ignited by Swindon's Premier League side and the return to the Elite. I put some money into the club in 2006 and felt it was taken for granted - as a result my enthusiasm has waned every season until now where it's non-existent.

On 2/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, frigbo said:

1974 was the first year I went and 1984 was the last year of the top league having a decent number of teams in it. 

2000-2006 was an era where my enthusiasm was re-ignited by Swindon's Premier League side and the return to the Elite. I put some money into the club in 2006 and felt it was taken for granted - as a result my enthusiasm has waned every season until now where it's non-existent.

I know the feeling frigbo. My interest as an active follower of the sport evaporated years ago. If the nearest closed track to me - which would be Crystal Palace - reopened I doubt that I would visit a meeting. And at most the walking distance timeframe  from my home at most would be 20 minutes!