British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

10 favourite Dutch riders:

My nominations for top 10 Dutch rider favourites:

Henny Kroeze, Henk Steman, Rudy Muts, Nico van Gorcum, Gerrit Kops, Jan Bosman, Cor  van Gorcum, Piet Seur, Tonny Kroeze, Wim van Hemelrijk.

Henk Steman, Henny Kroeze (who I believe registered the first 21 point maximum in the BL) and Rudy Mutts.

7 minutes ago, Graham Warren said:

Peter Vandenberg

Good point Graham Warren. However, when Peter Vandenberg and Charlie Wallis visited me at 'Speedway Star' offices just after they arrived in the UK in the mid-1950s, Peter emphasised that he wanted to be known as an Australian. His family had emigrated to Australia a few years previously.

Edited by Guest

I didn't know that Gustix. I remember he always signed autographs with his name the Dutch way.  A lovley man and the first riderI ever got to know.   By the way, did you ever write to the Speedway World?  I liked that paper as it gave better winter coverage of Australians meetings.

11 hours ago, Graham Warren said:

I didn't know that Gustix. I remember he always signed autographs with his name the Dutch way.  A lovley man and the first riderI ever got to know.   By the way, did you ever write to the Speedway World?  I liked that paper as it gave better winter coverage of Australians meetings.

I agree with the comment re excellent Australian coverage by the 'Speedway World' - I believe the reporter/photographer was Oscar Lind (?). I wrote a couple of features for the 'Monthly Speedway World' and made a few contributions to the weekly publication in the early part of 1954.

Edited by Guest

This may be off main topic but possibly the first UK appearance for Dutch riders was at Tamworth in 1947? As I recall they were taking part in a benefit for the dependents of Tamworth rider Jack Ladd (???} who died earlier that year in a Dutch meeting. 

The Dutch riders met their own travelling expenses to the meeting and donated all their prize money to a fund in aid of Ladd's dependents.