British Speedway Forum
gustix

Celebration of Speedway 2019

On Sunday, February 17, 2019,  CELEBRATION OF SPEEDWAY

Will take place at Paradise Wildlife Park, White Stubbs Lane, Broxbourne, Herts. EN10 7QA. There is a donation required of £10 and this includes entry to the wildlife park and speedway museum. Entertainment includes a BBQ, Bar, Collectors’ Fayre and every hour on the hour enjoy the sound and smell of speedway history when they start up the old machines.

Contact - Mariana Flemming Tel: 01992 470490 ext 216

E-mail:   wsra-speedway@outlook.com

Edited by gustix

According to the 'long range' weather forecast (!!!!) Sunday February 17 2019 is for good weather. Let's just hope the forecasters are correct!

Very early to be bothering with weather forecasts.Just yesterday they were saying it was ok for training at Rye House,yet woke up this morning to see it was off!!!

11 hours ago, gustix said:

According to the 'long range' weather forecast (!!!!) Sunday February 17 2019 is for good weather. Let's just hope the forecasters are correct!

17 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Very early to be bothering with weather forecasts.Just yesterday they were saying it was ok for training at Rye House,yet woke up this morning to see it was off!!!

I agree with your comment. I am not a weather forecaster myself. As I said when making the original Post "...Let's just hope the forecasters are correct!..." The reference to the weather appears on many Facebook pages where an advert for the event is also displayed and I was merely quoting. The weather conditions on the day will not affect me as I have no plans at the moment to attend. I think the last one I visited was in 2007 when the base then was the old High Beech track area .

Here's the BBC long period weather forecast for the area. It is 'self updating' so use at any time - now or nearer to the date of the Celebration of Speedway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2646807

Edited by gustix
spelling error.

9 hours ago, gustix said:

I agree with your comment. I am not a weather forecaster myself. As I said when making the original Post "...Let's just hope the forecasters are correct!..." The reference to the weather appears on many Facebook pages where an advert for the event is also displayed and I was merely quoting. The weather conditions on the day will not affect me as I have no plans at the moment to attend. I think the last one I visited was in 2007 when the base then was the old High Beech track area .

I tried to find High Beech back in the 1990s,but failed miserably

9 hours ago, gustix said:

9 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I tried to find High Beech back in the 1990s,but failed miserably

The nearest tube station is Loughton, then about a 20 minute walk to this address - had you known - The King's Oak pub, Epping Forest. High Beech is situated there. One used to be able to view the pioneer track some years ago. I have no idea if it's still there.

Edited by gustix

Yes,I must have got directions from somewhere,pre-internet

I know I got the tube to somewhere far from South London and did walk at least 20 minutes and found a pub.But my girlfriend and myself were almost the only ones there.No sign of people and bikes etc.So I can only conclude I went wrong somewhere and gave up!!

18 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes,I must have got directions from somewhere,pre-internet

I know I got the tube to somewhere far from South London and did walk at least 20 minutes and found a pub.But my girlfriend and myself were almost the only ones there.No sign of people and bikes etc.So I can only conclude I went wrong somewhere and gave up!!

Did the pub look anything like the one shown?

https://whatpub.com/pubs/HEB/11470/kings-oak-high-beach

Tbh,even though it is a long time...no.I seem to recall a brick pub with little colour surrounded by trees down a quiet country road.Must have gone in the wrong direction

Forwarded message:

Celebration of Speedway 2019 by Bert Harkins

“Sunday 17th February and for Speedway fans, all roads will lead to Paradise Wildlife Park for the annual pre-season, Celebration of Speedway.
What better way to start the season than to mingle with like-minded people, meet visiting riders and hear the sound of unsilenced Speedway bikes being fired up on the hour, every hour.

The WSRA (World Speedway Riders’ Association) National Speedway Museum will be open all day with some new exhibits which include Billy’s Hamill’s “streamlined” Kenny Roberts-sponsored Grand Prix GM Speedway bike, Nigel Boocock’s blue leathers, Grand Prix body colours from Jason Doyle, Tai Woffinden, Greg Hancock and Bartoz Smarzlik plus Ivan Mauger, Simon Wigg and Peter Craven displays plus much, much more including the Museum Shop selling books, model riders, bobble hats, etc.

Another new exhibit is the famous old red and white Wembley tractor which carried the top three in the World final on its battered bonnet in the days of the one-off World Finals at Wembley’s Empire Stadium. The tractor has pride of place outside the Speedway Museum where you can have your photo taken pretending that you are the World Champion. The winner of the Speedway Star “Name That Tractor” competition will be announced and the winner will be presented with his prize by Speedway Star journalist, John Chaplin.

As you walk around the Museum, it begins with Cycle Speedway, where many young pedal pushers began and then went on to race motorcycle Speedway. Then the High Beech display showing bikes, Rudge & Douglas, and photos from when Dirt Track racing came to this country in February 1928, hence the date (February) where we gather to celebrate that great occasion.

The large Wedding Marquee will have the ‘Collectors’ Fayre’ with stands selling books, DVDs, and all sorts of Speedway memorabilia. There will be a stage in the Marquee where presenter, Craig Saul will be interviewing various Speedway visitors and a Grand Raffle. 
The World Speedway Riders Association will have a table just inside the marquee, so you can join the association on the day (riders and supporters are all welcome) which allows members free entry to Paradise Wildlife Park as often as they like plus the members’ magazine ’ Tapes Up’ which comes out four times per year.
The new WSRA President for 2019 will be Swindon Legend, The Red Devil, Mike Broadbank and his old club, Swindon will be running a coach to the event to support their former skipper. Mike will be presented with his Chain of Office on stage in the afternoon.

Outside in the car park, there are displays of bikes and some of the old ones will be fired up in the “Pits Area” on the hour, every hour, so listen out for that and get you whiff of the Speedway rider’s After Shave,….Castrol ‘R’! There will also be a vintage Wall of Death Indian Scout motorcycle which we also hope may be fired up on the day.

No need to go hungry as there will be a BBQ and bar and there are plenty of food outlets all around the Park. “Safari Sam’s” restaurant will be serving breakfast from early morning onwards.

Entry to the Celebration also allows you into the Wildlife Park with Lions (Wembley or Leicester?). Tigers (Glasgow, Sheffield or Mildenhall?) plus Meerkats, Penquins and hundreds of other animals, so all in all, a great day out.

Paradise Wildlife Park is easy to find, signposted from Junction 25 of the M25 and for non-drivers, there is a Wildlife Park mini bus service from Broxbourne Railway Station, so come along to the Celebration and have a time,……See You There!”
Bert Harkins

Edited by gustix
spelling error.