British Speedway Forum

I saw this and was very surprised, in a nice way.

I watch Grantchester religiously (if you'll pardon the pun) every week.

Great Programme enhanced, for me anyway, by the Speedway pictures on the wall. Let's hope for more of the same.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I saw this and was very surprised, in a nice way.

I watch Grantchester religiously (if you'll pardon the pun) every week.

Great Programme enhanced, for me anyway, by the Speedway pictures on the wall. Let's hope for more of the same.

On another site someone has actually confirmed the dates of the magazines on the wall, and they actually match the year the latest series is set.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

On another site someone has actually confirmed the dates of the magazines on the wall, and they actually match the year the latest series is set.

WE were approached by the producers of Grantchester some time ago about using the magazines and to ensure there were no copyright issues, which of course there were not. 

• Like 4

this really isn't a cause for celebration: it merely underlines that the sport is seen as an historical activity.

• Like 1

Perhaps the Vicar's use of speedway items on the wall in 'Grantchester" has something to do with speedway's Last Rites which here in the UK we appear to be increasingly witnessing?

Here we go something nice is turned into a negative by the usual suspects:blink::rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Here we go something nice is turned into a negative by the usual suspects:blink::rolleyes:

i wouldn't describe myself thusly. Obviously they need props that reflect the times and i merely reflected. Sorry to spoil your day

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

this really isn't a cause for celebration: it merely underlines that the sport is seen as an historical activity.

Erm Speedway is a historical activity.  It has a 90 year history.

They could hardly use the posters of Craig Cook, Matej Zagar and co.,( as used in Waterloo Road),  because Grantchester is set in the 1950s.      

Waterloo Raod is set in the present day, hence present day speedway posters. Grantchester is set in the 50s, hence the 50s posters.

The football references in Grantchester will be to Stanley Matthews, not Lionel Messi.

11 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

I would be interested to know what dates these magazines are. The 'Speedway News' was bought by the 'Speedway Star' circa 1956 and then published for some years as 'Speedway Star & News'. And as an old saying goes - which Phil may raise a smile at? - "Bob's your uncle!"

1 hour ago, WalterPlinge said:

Erm Speedway is a historical activity.  It has a 90 year history.

They could hardly use the posters of Craig Cook, Matej Zagar and co.,( as used in Waterloo Road),  because Grantchester is set in the 1950s.      

Waterloo Raod is set in the present day, hence present day speedway posters. Grantchester is set in the 50s, hence the 50s posters.

The football references in Grantchester will be to Stanley Matthews, not Lionel Messi.

fair enough Walter

3 hours ago, gustix said:

I would be interested to know what dates these magazines are. The 'Speedway News' was bought by the 'Speedway Star' circa 1956 and then published for some years as 'Speedway Star & News'. And as an old saying goes - which Phil may raise a smile at? - "Bob's your uncle!"

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THINK it was 1954 ... before my time but not yours John:party:

I actually signed the deal on behalf of Echo Publications (London) Ltd and passed their cheque on behalf of the 'Speedway Star' to buy the 'Speedway News' title. The News editor Len Went also signed the deal, which was witnessed by the famed speedway photographer Alf Weedon. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

I actually signed the deal on behalf of Echo Publications (London) Ltd and passed their cheque on behalf of the 'Speedway Star' to buy the 'Speedway News' title. The News editor Len Went also signed the deal, which was witnessed by the famed speedway photographer Alf Weedon. 

LEN Went later became Press Officer at Wembley Stadium for many years.