British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

10 favourite Welsh riders

Here are a few Welsh riders to set the thread going: Phil Morris, Tony Atkin, Tom Brown, Jamie Westacott, Craig Gough, Nick Mallett.

Four more to add to my list!!!!!

Edited by Guest

off the top of my head I have only seen Taffy Owen and Phil Morris.Neither of whom I would consider a favourite

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

off the top of my head I have only seen Taffy Owen and Phil Morris.Neither of whom I would consider a favourite

I'm sure you've seen another... The Plough Lane legend, Phil Vance!

Steve

• Like 1

Just now, chunky said:

I'm sure you've seen another... The Plough Lane legend, Phil Vance!

Steve

Well I never knew he was a taffy!!!Thought he was a local

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Well I never knew he was a taffy!!!Thought he was a local

I wondered if you knew that? Always used to see him outside South Wimbledon station grabbing a kebab after the meetings!

His legs made Les McGillivray look like Steve Schofield...

Steve

• Haha 1

I would add the following...… Freddie Williams, Eric Williams, Ian Williams, Ivor Hughes, Tom Oakley, Cyril Francis, Bob Hughes

Edited by BL65

10 hours ago, BL65 said:

I would add the following...… Freddie Williams, Eric Williams, Ian Williams, Ivor Hughes, Tom Oakley, Cyril Francis, Bob Hughes

I had no idea that Tom Oakley was Welsh. If that is the case we can also add his younger brother Bob to the list.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

I had no idea that Tom Oakley was Welsh. If that is the case we can also add his younger brother Bob to the list.

I have checked the source of the information and it is incorrect, thanks for highlighting it.

I believe Nathan Stoneman is Welsh, as was Kevin Price.   

Wasn't Glyn Taylor also born in Wales?

Had to laugh at the idea of Nicky Mallett as a suggestion for favourite Welsh rider.   Would he ever come in a list of favourite anything?  Maybe "favourite suspected arsonist (never proven)"?

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

I believe Nathan Stoneman is Welsh, as was Kevin Price.   

Because Glyn Taylor may have been born in Wales would not have automatically made him Welsh. As his parents were Australian his birth most likely would have been registered at the Australian Embassy which would thus have determined his nationality.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, gustix said:

Because Glyn Taylor may have been born in Wales would not have automatically made him Welsh. As his parents were Australian his birth most likely would have been registered at the Australian Embassy which would thus have determined his nationality.

Since he rode in the Conference League for Wolves, I would assume he has dual British/Australian nationality.   He was certainly born in Wales as I said.

53 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

23 minutes ago, gustix said:

8 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Since he rode in the Conference League for Wolves, I would assume he has dual British/Australian nationality.   He was certainly born in Wales as I said.

As a comparison - I recall a South African rider (his name escapes me) riding in the Conference League circa 2004-2005. He had no nationality links to the UK.

Wimbledon who were in the same league at this time had an Australian and New Zealander in their teams over their CL seasons.