British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
auntie doris

Fourteen Favourite Swindon Riders

Briggs, Hitch, Broadbank, Kilby, Ashby, Adams, Zagar, Doyle, Ward, Andersen, Kildemand, Richardson, Gjedde, Stead

Edited by auntie doris

White, Broadbank, Williams, Teodorowicz, Street, Ashby, Briggs, Adams, Kilby, Richardson, Brett, Roger, Autrey, Duke

Edited by norbold
Damn auto correct!

My 14 favourite Swindon riders are Mike Broadbank, George White, Barry Briggs, Al Sparrey, Ray Harris, Bill Downton, Ginger Nicholls, Reg Lambourne, Bob Jones, Scott Autrey, Brian Brett, Neil Street, Ian Williams, Tadeusz Teodorowicz..

Here goes with my choice as regards 'the enemy from down the road'...'The Budgies'!

Martin Ashby, Bob Kilby, Mike Broadbank, Mike Keen, David Ashby, Geioff Bouchard, Bobby McNeil, Edgar Stangeland, Norman Hunter, Clive Hitch, Brian Leonard, Mick Handley, Barry Briggs, Jan Andersson.

Edited by steve roberts

Mike Keen and Geoff Bouchard great club servants, with riders such as Munday, Hitch, Holloway, David Ashby, etc., backbone of the club, and half were local lads. Hitchy my favourite with his famous fourth bend divebombs.

12 hours ago, norbold said:

White, Broadbank, Williams, Teodorowicz, Street, Ashby, Briggs, Adams, Kilby, Richardson, Brett, Roger, Autrey, Duke

Barry Duke still a familiar sight around the town with his ponytail, always has time for a chat. Still lives in Penhill.

Didn't Roger ride for the Rangers?

Of the Robins I have seen :

Briggs, M. Ashby, Hitch, Broadbank, Keen, Munday, Bouchard, Andersson, Kilby, D.Ashby, McKnight, Stangeland, Hunter and McNeil

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Barry Duke still a familiar sight around the town with his ponytail, always has time for a chat. Still lives in Penhill.

Didn't Roger ride for the Rangers?

Good to hear that Barry is still around and still with his fine head of hair!

Yes. The Roger in question is, of course, Bob, brother of Cyril and Bert. He only rode for New Cross for a short time in 1952&3. His two brothers rode for the Rangers for much longer.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Mike Keen and Geoff Bouchard great club servants, with riders such as Munday, Hitch, Holloway, David Ashby, etc., backbone of the club, and half were local lads. Hitchy my favourite with his famous fourth bend divebombs.

Hey ho here i come Hitchey great value.

• Like 1

Clark Facey, Dave Grimley, Mac Woolford, Dave Patten, Bobo Valentine, Billy Wall.               Martin Hitch, Melvin Soffe, Kevin Pope, Richard Evans, Martin Satchel, Brian Butterfield, Mathew Cross an endless crop of second halfers who give the supporters pleasure over the years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Clark Facey, Dave Grimley, Mac Woolford, Dave Patten, Bobo Valentine, Billy Wall.               Martin Hitch, Melvin Soffe, Kevin Pope, Richard Evans, Martin Satchel, Brian Butterfield, Mathew Cross an endless crop of second halfers who give the supporters pleasure over the years.

Yes Sid...used to enjoy the second halves!

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Don't forget Ralph Waller!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briggo said:

Don't forget Ralph Waller!

Yes  of course Ralph,the reserves scurry was a great way of seeing a rider develope he was then thrown in against the big boys.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Two Swindon riders from the 1940s pioneer era whose results I used to follow were Reg Lambourine and Mick Mitchell.