1+1 from 4 at Bristol

1 from 3 home v Bristol

5 League Matches:

0 from 3 at King's Lynn

0 from 2 at Wolves

0 from 1 home v Leicester

0 from 2 at Ipswich

0 from 3 at Poole

Come on, frigbo, at least tell the whole story!

Against Reading, he score his point in the only race he finished (two falls and an EF), and beat the mighty Franz Kreimoser.

At Bristol, he scored his point in one of only two races he finished (two more falls), and it came at the expense of Phil Crump - who didn't finish...

At home to Bristol, he actually beat Soren Sjosten - and he managed to finish all three races he started.

So, in those challenge matches, he rode eleven times.  He suffered four falls and an EF.  In the six races he finished, he scored four (paid) points, yet only "beat" one rider... That could be a record in itself?

Steve

I think Claes Jensen of Poole has the record nailed for beating fewest riders, Steve.

Raba was actually leading heat 8 by some distance at Bristol, before inexplicably falling off all on his own....

And I reckon he "beat" two - we can't underplay his contribution! :)

Edited by frigbo

3 minutes ago, frigbo said:

I think Claes Jensen of Poole has the record on that score, Steve.

Oh, I know he has a much worse points-scoring record!  Just one from 29 rides, but I don't have a complete breakdown of his rides...  Jensen is probably the worst rider is have seen at a truly competitive level (if you can in fact call him competitive).

I was talking about the record of Raba scoring four paid points from beating only one rider!  I'm sure that hasn't happened too often!

Steve

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Oh, I know he has a much worse points-scoring record!  Just one from 29 rides, but I don't have a complete breakdown of his rides...  Jensen is probably the worst rider is have seen at a truly competitive level (if you can in fact call him competitive).

I was talking about the record of Raba scoring four paid points from beating only one rider!  I'm sure that hasn't happened too often!

Steve

I think I'm right in saying Jensen's only point came from a Richard Hellsen engine failure.

Christophe Cayre of Isle Of Wight takes that accolade for me I think.

11 minutes ago, frigbo said:

I think I'm right in saying Jensen's only point came from a Richard Hellsen engine failure.

Christophe Cayre of Isle Of Wight takes that accolade for me I think.

That's what I have been trying to find out, and that really wouldn't surprise me!

I can't comment on Cayre as that was after I emigrated, and I don't know anything about him, except that he didn't score a point in nine rides.  Of course, there are those who witnessed Timmy Joe Sheppard's appearance at Hackney in 1975, and still claim that he was the worst...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Veijo Tuoriniemi  recommended by the great Bob Redford also had a torrid time for the Budgies.Going back to Raba believe his figures tell a wrong story I do believe there was a good rider in there somewhere.

Edited by Sidney the robin

9 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Veijo Tuoriniemi  recommended by the great Bob Redford also had a torrid time for the Budgies.Going back to Rabs i believe his figures tell a wrong story I do believe there was a good rider in there somewhere.

He had a reasonable introductory season at Eastbourne in 1980(?) and looked useful.

I guess that one time 'Rebel' Bob Kilby was my all-time favourite 'Budgie'. Having read his son's (Lee) book only re-emphasises that view. A tremendous read giving a great insight into Bob...and a great character to boot!

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I guess that one time 'Rebel' Bob Kilby was my all-time favourite 'Budgie'. Having read his son's (Lee) book only re-emphasises that view. A tremendous read giving a great insight into Bob...and a great character to boot!

Great book a great read there is a picture in the book of Kilb beating Briggo in heat 1 of the Swindon v Exeter match.I love that  picture Bob had a great time at the Country ground and he was hard to beat there.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, iris123 said:

Nobody mentioned one of my favourites,Andrew Silver!! spectacular rider,but maybe Swindon wasn’t one of his best tracks?I remember him more at Rye,Arena and his appearances at Plough Lane

Silver was brilliant at Swindon - at least he was in my selective memory where he regularly passed people "for fun" and was a master of the first bend cut-back that Tai Woffinden gets a lot of praise for today. Probably my all-time favourite rider.

• Like 1

Good to hear someone else appreciated his style.Must admit I have a number of Swindon faves,as for some reason I sort of adopted Swindon as my second team for a few years in the 70s.But only ever visited the track once.Well i only ever visited Swindon twice in my life so far

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Good to hear someone else appreciated his style.Must admit I have a number of Swindon faves,as for some reason I sort of adopted Swindon as my second team for a few years in the 70s.But only ever visited the track once.Well i only ever visited Swindon twice in my life so far

The reason we moved from souf-east London to Swindon in 1967.The old man liked the football and speedway teams. Well that and the free council house with the job like.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

That surprises me? I wouldn't say I was a regular there, but I found it a very quick and easy run down the M4. Probably the last time I went there was a World Championship round, and if my memory serves me correctly, it was won by Andrew Silver. Can't remember what year, but it was on a Sunday. Grachan may be able to help me there!

Regarding Silver, I never really took to him for some reason. I don't know if was all the hype or what. Very talented rider, but very much an under-achiever, I feel.

Steve

Would that have been in 1986?

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/10705/17th-1986

That was a Sunday meeting...

Edited by frigbo

10 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Would that have been in 1986?

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/10705/17th-1986

That was a Sunday meeting...

Yeah, looking at the line-up, pretty sure that was the one; thanks!

I remember that Silver rode well, but now, seeing Alan Grahame winning, that does ring a bell. I have a pretty good memory - sometimes - but when I think about that being 33 years ago, that is scary!

Steve