British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moxey63

Most unfortunate team

I didn't realise how unfortunate Wolverhampton were at the time. I just wanted my team, Belle Vue, to win the match - and in doing so, the title.

I'm talking about the 1993 season. Remember, that final showdown between Wolves and Belle Vue that decided the league winners, long before the hyped-up and often manipulated Play-offs.

Although I was a keen Aces' fan at the time and got caught up in winning the title, I still felt sorry for the Wolves. But, just going through some mags from the season, I didn't quite realise the extent of Wolves' misfortune.

They had been odds on favourites to win the title, all season, having a double-figure points lead much of the time. However, at the same time Belle Vue began registering their first league points on their travels - it was as late as August - Wolves had a terrible dousing of misfortunate sprinkled over them. Within two weeks of late August-early September, they suffered three injuries that would have finished most other teams. Middle-order rider Graham Jones was injured on August 21. That was six points a match gone. Then, 10 days later Charlie Ermolenko picked up arm injuries at Poole that also wrote off his season. Another six points were gone.

But worse was to come. Twenty-four hours after the younger Ermolenko was crocked, Ronnie Correy, the number two,  broke his back while riding in Sweden for Bysarna. His year was over - indeed, the injury meant he didn't race in 1994 either. That was almost another 10 points a match gone. Wolves should have been on the canvas and counted out. But they battled on. Obviously, the loss of over 20 points from three riders took its toll. Wolves lost five in a row and their title chase hit quicksand.

Young Mikael Karlsson, for his first taste of British racing, and veteran Gordon Kennett, out in the cold after starting the year at Exeter, were introduced.

Wolves battled on as the Aces clawed back the gap on the Midland side in an interesting end to the season that, in all reality, would have been all but over had the Monmore side remained untouched.

Personally, I feel history would have been different and Wolves would have managed to hold on - but in their penultimate fixture, the final, cruellest blow came when Sam Ermolenko was injured and his year was through. It was the first race of Wolves home match with Bradford. Ermolenko, of course, was the best rider in the world and in domestic racing. It was his finest season. They had lost their kingpin, the World Champion, and did well just to hang on for a 56-52 win over the Dukes.

Wolves went into the decider with Belle Vue four riders missing from the side that had brought them to within touching distance of their second title in three years.

They borrowed Gustafsson from King's Lynn, and his paid 16 from six starts just wasn't enough to claim the draw (they lost by just a point, 53-54 ) which would have won the title for Wolves and denied Aces the dramatic last heat clincher. History would have been changed.

Ermolenko, I'd have bet, would have roared to a maximum. He had scored the full 21 at Bradford before his injury. His presence in the team alone would have encouraged lesser men to cajole an extra point or two, maybe. But he was out with a broken thigh. Not only had Wolves lost three integral members of their side - numbers two, for and five, which otherwise they'd have coasted to the league, I believe they would have dragged out a win versus the Aces - and therefore been league kings - with Sam against the Aces.

As it was, they won just thrice from their final 10 matches without their full side, and for the first time since 1979, the title had gone down to the wire.

As a fan of Belle Vue, I recall the jubilation on the terraces that night. But, at the same time, I also felt like we'd won through an own goal.

The annals of history should have been written differently. Luck swings two ways - good and bad.

Indeed, it reminds me of the previous Belle Vue title win of '82, again fortuitous after Cradley lost Penhall. 

Wolves 1993 have to be the most unfortunate team... least in my memory.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 6

Considering the tragedy that was Lokeren, West Ham has to hold that sadly unwanted title. Any other team's perceived misfortune pales in comparison.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Considering the tragedy that was Lokeren, West Ham has to hold that sadly unwanted title. Any other team's perceived misfortune pales in comparison.

I'd have titled that "Most Tragic Team."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I'd have titled that "Most Tragic Team."

I can't argue with that.

• Like 1

Interesting read that Moxey.

For various reasons I had fallen out of love with the sport from the early 90s, so although I knew that Belle Vue had won the league in 1993, I never realised the circumstances behind it. Still, the record books show that we won it! Thanks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

Interesting read that Moxey.

For various reasons I had fallen out of love with the sport from the early 90s, so although I knew that Belle Vue had won the league in 1993, I never realised the circumstances behind it. Still, the record books show that we won it! Thanks.

While I state Belle Vue were "lucky" in 1982 and '93, it was Alan Wilkinson's 1978 injury that stopped us winning the title that year.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

While I state Belle Vue were "lucky" in 1982 and '93, it was Alan Wilkinson's 1978 injury that stopped us winning the title that year.

Yes, the 1978 team were an excellent blend of youth and experience -so tragic about Wilkie. 

• Like 1

I’d gladly give back any perceived good luck that has gone The Aces way as long as we give back the misfortune that has hit us over the decades. We’d have have far more trophies in the cabinet that our, admittedly impressive number. 

• Like 1

Just a quick add on to Moxey's excellent post. Some may be thinking, so they lost a few riders, no big deal. The difference that season was guests were only allowed for your No 1 rider, which of course was Sam Ermolenko.

Where the league was really lost was a 2pt home defeat against Ipswich when we had a side of Sam Ermolenko, Peter Karlsson, Neil Evitts (riding injured and woefully out of form and confidence) RR and four juniors. Sam rattled off a 21pt max, PK may have got a max too, or close to it, but it wasn't enough.

Shane Parker decided to goad the Wolves crowd after the meeting celebrating wildly and became somewhat unpopular to say the least.

That said my opinion of Parker changed a few years later when we held a fund raising event for PK, Parker came along and was brilliant. He's a bit handy at Laserquest!

The Ermolenko crash in Heat 1 against Bradford had more ramifications as it meant we didn't get the bonus pt that match which would have won us the league that night if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

An incredible night in 93...

Seem to remember the Aces were eight points down with three races left...

A 5-0 changed the meeting...

One of the Wolves riders got help off a member of the track staff when he fell off and remounted...(Wainwright rings a distant bell)?  And after the race he was excluded...

That point made all the difference..

Huge crowd, and a great atmosphere...

34 minutes ago, mikebv said:

An incredible night in 93...

Seem to remember the Aces were eight points down with three races left...

A 5-0 changed the meeting...

One of the Wolves riders got help off a member of the track staff when he fell off and remounted...(Wainwright rings a distant bell)?  And after the race he was excluded...

That point made all the difference..

Huge crowd, and a great atmosphere...

Stephen Morris was the rider in question I believe... I think Wainwright had already been excluded in the first running of the heat. Although the memory may be playing tricks!

It was a huge crowd and great atmosphere.. if only we could relive something similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Just a quick add on to Moxey's excellent post. Some may be thinking, so they lost a few riders, no big deal. The difference that season was guests were only allowed for your No 1 rider, which of course was Sam Ermolenko.

Where the league was really lost was a 2pt home defeat against Ipswich when we had a side of Sam Ermolenko, Peter Karlsson, Neil Evitts (riding injured and woefully out of form and confidence) RR and four juniors. Sam rattled off a 21pt max, PK may have got a max too, or close to it, but it wasn't enough.

Shane Parker decided to goad the Wolves crowd after the meeting celebrating wildly and became somewhat unpopular to say the least.

That said my opinion of Parker changed a few years later when we held a fund raising event for PK, Parker came along and was brilliant. He's a bit handy at Laserquest!

The Ermolenko crash in Heat 1 against Bradford had more ramifications as it meant we didn't get the bonus pt that match which would have won us the league that night if I remember correctly.

I overlooked the bonus against Bradford when Ermolenko was injured, and the home loss vs Ipswich.

Ermolenko was some rider that season, breaking the league points record held by Hans Nielsen.

Also found it a bit ludicrous that Belle Vue used two "juniors" at reserve that were seasoned riders - Paul Smith and Max Schofield. Stretched it a little.

45 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I overlooked the bonus against Bradford when Ermolenko was injured, and the home loss vs Ipswich.

Ermolenko was some rider that season, breaking the league points record held by Hans Nielsen.

Also found it a bit ludicrous that Belle Vue used two "juniors" at reserve that were seasoned riders - Paul Smith and Max Schofield. Stretched it a little.

We also lost one of our reserves to injury in that same short time period you mentioned and had to promote a junior rider.

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Max was your captain that year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Max was your captain that year.

Belle Vue started the year with two real juniors - Peter Scully and Jon Armstrong -  before they were dumped and Shawn Venables and Mike Lewthwaite came in during April. Schofield came in for Lewthwaite at the end of May, and Smith for Venables in June after the Canadian was injured. The tinkering with the reserves finally turned Belle Vue into a decent side and they started finding form on the road. I doubt they'd have been top three without the changes.