British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moxey63

Most unfortunate team

By bringing in Paul and Max, John Perrin made the sort of changes that in the modern day Matt Ford makes to win league titles. 

Their impact on the team was tremendous, and not just on track in terms of the points they produced at 7 and 8. Without them the Aces would have never been within touching distance of Wolves come that fateful night even with all their misfortunes.

The Northern junior grass track alumni of Joe, Stoney, Paul and Max had quite an effect on galvanizing them into a real 'team' and on the night itself it was critical.

The truth is that the pressure on the riders that night was quite enormous and sadly Steven Morris and John Wainwright succumbed to it badly ... Whilst their counterparts Paul and Max thrived on the atmosphere, outscorng them hugely. 

PS..  Shawn Moran was the captain in 93. Max Schofield was captain for the second half of 1995.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

By bringing in Paul and Max, John Perrin made the sort of changes that in the modern day Matt Ford makes to win league titles. 

Their impact on the team was tremendous, and not just on track in terms of the points they produced at 7 and 8. Without them the Aces would have never been within touching distance of Wolves come that fateful night even with all their misfortunes.

The Northern junior grass track alumni of Joe, Stoney, Paul and Max had quite an effect on galvanizing them into a real 'team' and on the night itself it was critical.

The truth is that the pressure on the riders that night was quite enormous and sadly Steven Morris and John Wainwright succumbed to it badly ... Whilst their counterparts Paul and Max thrived on the atmosphere, outscorng them hugely. 

PS..  Shawn Moran was the captain in 93. Max Schofield was captain for the second half of 1995.

Very good points.

It's also why the absence of Ermolenko on that night was so critical, not just for his on track riding, he literally WAS Wolverhampton at the time and his presence alone was worth 4-6pts extra across the team with the way he inspired other riders.

Edited by BWitcher

16 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Very good points.

It's also why the absence of Ermolenko on that night was so critical, not just for his on track riding, he literally WAS Wolverhampton at the time and his presence alone was worth 4-6pts extra across the team with the way he inspired other riders.

Quite true.... But, then again ...

The Karlsson's were certainly up for it that night and Henka put in a lot more effort as a guest than others hiding in Wolves clothing.

No matter how considerable Sam's talents were nothing would have been capable of improving the performance of Evitts and Kennett that night. And the reserves were out of their depth before a wheel was turned. Psyched out of it.

Devine intervention may not have been sufficient.

It really was a fantastic night .... For us.

Edited by Grand Central

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Quite true.... But, then again ...

The Karlsson's were certainly up for it that night and Henka put in a lot more effort as a guest than others hiding in Wolves clothing.

No matter how considerable Sam's talents were nothing would have been capable of improving the performance of Evitts and Kennett that night. And the reserves were out of their depth before a wheel was turned. Psyched out of it.

Devine intervention may not have been sufficient.

It really was a fantastic night .... For us.

I think you've completely missed the point.

At that time Ermolenko improved the performance of every single rider in the side, especially the lesser ones. The reserves wouldn't have been psyched out had he been there. He was that good and that much of a captain in those days.

Not only that, but his mere presence would have intimidated Belle Vue, his absence gave them a massive boost.

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

I think you've completely missed the point.

At that time Ermolenko improved the performance of every single rider in the side, especially the lesser ones. The reserves wouldn't have been psyched out had he been there. He was that good and that much of a captain in those days.

Not only that, but his mere presence would have intimidated Belle Vue, his absence gave them a massive boost.

Oh no i didn't miss your point.

I just considered it and, upon reflection, disagreed with it.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Schofield and Smith were brought in mid-season at a time Belle Vue hadn't won on its travels - 12 matches, 12 straight defeats. Usually, any side that has come that far without winning on the road would surely have been also-rans - based on a normal league system and not the Play-Offs, in which just a top-four spot sufficient to begin with.

In 1993, Belle Vue had won all 12 home matches and it wasn't until  Ipswich on August 12 they picked up anything on the road. Usually such a dormant start - in round-robin matches and excluding the Play-Offs, which Matt Ford's club manipulates within an inch of preciseness - that's form of a mid-table side.

At the end of August, Belle Vue were 13 points adrift of Wolves.

When you remember, also, the third place point that Wolves’ reserve Stephen Morris thought he had picked up after crossing the line against the Aces, and then taken away as he had fallen earlier and gained outside assistance from a member of the track staff, would have given Wolves a draw - and the title!

Edited by moxey63

4 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Oh no i didn't miss your point.

I just considered it and, upon reflection, disagreed with it.

Which shows you have absolutely no idea about the topic discussed.

Indeed the points you made only further highlighted and boosted the point I made.

As I have said before October 25, 1993 ... Best night of my Speedway watching life.

Somehow, after reading this topic,  it feels all the sweeter.

24 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

As I have said before October 25, 1993 ... Best night of my Speedway watching life.

Never up for discussion, it was an amazing night and as a Belle Vue fan would have been unbelievable.

Doesn't change the facts you are wrong about the impact Ermolenko not being there had. Note.. it wasn't even just he was injured, it was he was not there, lying in a hospital bed.

Belle Vue took advantage and rose to the occasion. There are no sour grapes here like you are trying to insinuate.

Great thread.

BWitcher being a sore loser - and then denying being a sore loser.  ;)

PS Wolves '93 are one of the most unfortunate teams in terms of missing out on a league title. I would also suggest Belle Vue '78 and Harringay '53.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 3

I think Wolves are the unluckiest because they got as far as the last race before being denied, and after all that s**t they'd endured. Of the top of my head, I'd plump for Reading in 2006 as next because they lost to Peterborough in the Play-Off Final and didn't fall into a position to use double points, whereas Peterborough won the Final and benefitted enormously from the Golden Double. 

Edited by moxey63

56 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Great thread.

BWitcher being a sore loser - and then denying being a sore loser.  ;)

PS Wolves '93 are one of the most unfortunate teams in terms of missing out on a league title. I would also suggest Belle Vue '78 and Harringay '53.

Where have I been a sore loser?

It wasn't meant to be for Wolves that season. Belle Vue scored the most pts and won the league. Simples.

All I have done is agreed with Moxey and stated that above and beyond the injuries the absence of Ermolenko for that meeting was a major factor.

Just as the absence of Nielsen would have been had Oxford had a match of similar importance and scale.

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

On the way out one particularly peed off/slapped arse Wolves fan who has been gobbing off all night after virtually every heat when victory had seemed a formality, said something of the sort of "Yowve unli wun it boi wun point, an if weed av ad Sammoi yowd err not wun it"!!..

We replied laughing..

"Yeh!, we know!!!"  :D

As we walked past we then asked the people running the 'megastore' if they had any 'Wolves 93 Champions' car stickers...

They were not very friendly in reply.....  :D

Although that could have been down to the big stack of brown boxes piled up behind them....

Boxes full of what we will never know...!  ;)

What a night, truly it compares for me with United winning the title in 93 after 26 years, and Barca 99...

Pity you couldn't bottle it and produce the same crowds and drama today..

• Like 2

Exactly, Belle Vue won, you don't feel anything less about the victory because the other side had injuries/bad luck or whatever it might be and rightfully so.

That's sport.. the ecstasy of victory, the agony of defeat. Wolves lost that night, but I'm so glad I was there to experience it.

This is why I enjoy the play-offs so much, it's the closest thing to replicating it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Exactly, Belle Vue won, you don't feel anything less about the victory because the other side had injuries/bad luck or whatever it might be and rightfully so.

That's sport.. the ecstasy of victory, the agony of defeat. Wolves lost that night, but I'm so glad I was there to experience it.

This is why I enjoy the play-offs so much, it's the closest thing to replicating it. 

The difference now though BW is that Wolves would run with three or four guests (all small track ringers) and RR for their missing riders rather than do what they did in 93 and have to reshuffle their team through signings...

Meaning the same 'play off' nowadays would be another contrived farce..

Henka guested that night and therefore it could be argued that this was 'contrived', but for me as his presence had no bearing on his own team's chances of the League it seemed 'fair enough'...

Maybe calling him a 'short term loan' signing would have been more professional than calling him a 'guest', however him being there (on a very good incentive too I believe) meant two very even teams on display...

When Speedway is done that well you do have to wonder why they don't try and do it more often..