British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moxey63

Most unfortunate team

49 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Where have I been a sore loser?

It wasn't meant to be for Wolves that season. Belle Vue scored the most pts and won the league. Simples.

All I have done is agreed with Moxey and stated that above and beyond the injuries the absence of Ermolenko for that meeting was a major factor.

Just as the absence of Nielsen would have been had Oxford had a match of similar importance and scale.

It was your initial reluctance to place any praise at all on Belle Vue, and put it all down to Wolves' injury crisis.

On balance, it's always a combination of the two. 

As others have said and I've agreed with, Wolves were very unlucky.

But, at the same time, Belle Vue made some inspirational team changes, and came from nowhere to the league title.  On the night in question, their riders showed the greater steel, while one or two of the younger Wolves bowed to the sheer pressure of the occasion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

I think Wolves are the unluckiest because they got as far as the last race before being denied, and after all that s**t they'd endured. Of the top of my head, I'd plump for Reading in 2006 as next because they lost to Peterborough in the Play-Off Final and didn't fall into a position to use double points, whereas Peterborough won the Final and benefitted enormously from the Golden Double. 

But Peterborough headed the league table, heading into the play-offs.  Were Reading that unlucky, when they failed to top the league table and subsequently also lost the play-off final?  After all, if the second leg was at Smallmead, it could be argued that it may have panned out differently and Racers snatched the verdict.  Having the second leg at home can be a big advantage in a tight situation - and Racers didn't win that right.

I'd plump for Poole 2010 instead, who headed the table by a mile, but then lost to Coventry in the play-off final.  To me, they were more unfortunate, although that's not denying Coventry, by far the better team in the play-off final.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

But Peterborough headed the league table, heading into the play-offs.  Were Reading that unlucky, when they failed to top the league table and subsequently also lost the play-off final?  After all, if the second leg was at Smallmead, it could be argued that it may have panned out differently and Racers snatched the verdict.  Having the second leg at home can be a big advantage in a tight situation - and Racers didn't win that right.

I'd plump for Poole 2010 instead, who headed the table by a mile, but then lost to Coventry in the play-off final.  To me, they were more unfortunate, although that's not denying Coventry, by far the better team in the play-off final.

Just race-points separated Reading and Peterborough that season, it was that close in the table. Peterborough gained nine points over the two legs through the double points rule, whereas Reading had opened up a lead to enable Panthers to do this. It made good speedway on SKY, but the Racers played a foolish game by actually trying to open up leads in the two legs. And it backfired, as Peterborough and their nine double-bubble points won by a point on aggregate.

If you base your argument on Peterborough topping the table and being the best team, then why do we have the Play-Offs?

And the second leg was at Peterborough.

Edited by moxey63

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

It was your initial reluctance to place any praise at all on Belle Vue, and put it all down to Wolves' injury crisis.

On balance, it's always a combination of the two. 

As others have said and I've agreed with, Wolves were very unlucky.

But, at the same time, Belle Vue made some inspirational team changes, and came from nowhere to the league title.  On the night in question, their riders showed the greater steel, while one or two of the younger Wolves bowed to the sheer pressure of the occasion.

Perhaps because the thread wasn't about praising Belle Vue, it was about "Most unfortunate team", to which I added further information to Moxey's post.

The thread only went a bit silly when Grand Central tried to make the ridiculous assertion that the absence of Ermolenko didn't mean anything. It meant everything, as the collapse of the Wolves lower end showed. That's not a knock on Belle Vue, quite the opposite, it's stating that certain Wolves riders couldn't rise to the occasion without the presence of their talismanic captain... whereas Belle Vue did. 

• Like 1

The result would have been different with Ermolenko. Just my opinion, but I felt he would have brought extra from the lesser light in Wolves' team. I had seen him, his determination, a week or so earlier at Belle Vue when he fell, was a distance behind the rest, but got up and still managed to claw back second place. He was in a class of his own at the time. He would have got a maximum against BV.  This, added to Wolves' other misfortune, would have deservedly seen them crowned Champions. And we'd never have had that last night if things had gone to plan for the Midlanders. It was a cracking occasion. But Wolves had so much bad luck.

Most unfortunate team Wolves in 2017 Grand Final, Lindgren and Thorsell out injured but Swindon cocked up the first leg, but won final by one point at Monmore..Harris poor guest, same as 2012 when Poole lost out, with Ward out., the title going to the rip roaring Rockin Robins from Wiltshire.

• Like 1

In 2008 Birmingham had a team that was many peoples pick to walk the premier league. With the likes of Kyle Legault, Adam Roynon, Phil Morris, Jason Lyons I think that was a reasonable prediction. However 13 injuries in that season put paid to that and the team (from memory) finished one of the bottom.

Not a lot of luck there.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 2:59 PM, auntie doris said:

Most unfortunate team Wolves in 2017 Grand Final, Lindgren and Thorsell out injured but Swindon cocked up the first leg, but won final by one point at Monmore..Harris poor guest, same as 2012 when Poole lost out, with Ward out., the title going to the rip roaring Rockin Robins from Wiltshire.

That would be my pick too.

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

That would be my pick too.

Doesn't come remotely close to 1993. 

Not even in the same conversation. 

Indeed you could say Wolves were lucky to even be in the final, the Lindgren/Bjerre incident at Belle Vue could have gone either way exclusion wise. Wolves didn't finish top of the league either.

The circumstances of 1993 will never be repeated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Doesn't come remotely close to 1993. 

Not even in the same conversation. 

Indeed you could say Wolves were lucky to even be in the final, the Lindgren/Bjerre incident at Belle Vue could have gone either way exclusion wise. Wolves didn't finish top of the league either.

The circumstances of 1993 will never be repeated.

It was just my opinion that I agreed with the poster. I didn’t say that it was the definitive answer to the topic.

34 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

It was just my opinion that I agreed with the poster. I didn’t say that it was the definitive answer to the topic.

So your opinion is a team that didn't even finish top of the regular standings is the most unlucky team ever? 

As nonsense goes.. that is up there.

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

So your opinion is a team that didn't even finish top of the regular standings is the most unlucky team ever? 

So you're saying a team who didn't finish top of the regular standings can't be the most unlucky team ever?  That would rule out Wolves '93, as well as many of the other leading candidates, such as Belle Vue '78, Harringay '53 and Cradley Heath  '82.  Not sure I agree with you there.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

So you're saying a team who didn't finish top of the regular standings can't be the most unlucky team ever?  That would rule out Wolves '93, as well as many of the other leading candidates, such as Belle Vue '78, Harringay '53 and Cradley Heath  '82.  Not sure I agree with you there.

Given as the 'bad luck' was after the regular standings ended. Play-offs is a completely different animal to the league based seasons. A team pretty much unaffected by injury but didn't top the regular standings and losing in the play offs isn't close to 'most unlucky team ever'. Had said team finished top by some distance and then injuries struck.. different story.

Were they unlucky? Yes. Most unlucky ever.. not even close. As already stated, they were lucky to even be in the final.

Edited by BWitcher

19 hours ago, BWitcher said:

If the thread was titled most unlucky team ever you might have a point.

Its not the definitive most unlucky team ever thread, maybe set one up to prove your point. :rolleyes:

There are many examples of unfortunate teams throughout the years, as evidenced on this thread. All are valid reasons.

• Like 1