British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

US riders of the 30's

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

New Jersey isn't normally considered to be Central USA, John. It is on the eastern seaboard. I think those areas in the Central time zone, which New Jersey and New York for instance aren't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Time_Zone

This might be causing some confusion when you are enquiring about Central US speedway

Thank you!!! I have deleted/HIDE the item. Strange now to view a CORRECTED quote when its origin no longer exists on the BSF. Have a nice day!!!

Edited by Guest

On 2/5/2019 at 10:36 PM, chunky said:

Please stop getting so butthurt, John. As I said on another thread, I have had conversations with you and explained why some people have a problem with some of the stuff you post. It is not always WHAT you post, but the WAY you post it.

You aren't stupid - yes, I believe that - but you often act like you are. Worse than that, you act like everybody else is. Talk about Byrd McKinney, that's fine, but don't make out that we will be clamouring to answer you when we already know what the answers are. Directing people to your own articles is fine - sometimes - but you really don't need to do it as an automatic response to a topic.

Just some friendly advice...

Steve

Hmmm! Not how I see things on the BSF! There's a much friendlier attitude IMO on FACEBOOK. 

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Hmmm! Not how I see things on the BSF! There's a much friendlier attitude IMO on FACEBOOK. 

A friendly bit of advice from a BSF member- in that case why don`t you pi$$ off to Facebook. :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gustix said:

11 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

A friendly bit of advice from a BSF member- in that case why don`t you pi$$ off to Facebook. :)

Your response typifies the attitude of many - NOT ALL - devotees to the BSF. I am on Facebook - I have been for about six years. Your response does much to illustrate my opinion in regard to the differences in member attitudes on the BSF as compared tp FB. WELL DONE!

Edited by Guest

Why the hell would you suddenly dig up and quote a post that is over a year old?

If (if...) there is a friendlier attitude on FB, it's because YOU don't treat everybody like sh!t! Still, you've been kicked out of groups on FB, and are barred from others, so what does THAT tell you? Besides, most of us are on FB too, and I have seen some of the crap you have posted there...

Why can't you act like an adult?

Why the endless self-promotion, and hijacking of threads to make it "all about gustix"?

Why can't you answer a legitimate question, which is common decency?

Why do you have to act like a little child, and just sit there for hours on end clicking on emojis?

Why do you act like you're superior to the rest of us, just because you worked for a local newspaper?

How sad is it when a "speedway journalist" - and one who supposedly concentrates on the "years gone by" - can't recognise Igor Plechanov, Ronnie Moore, and Ivan Mauger?

Why do you act like none of us know anything about speedway? YOU are the one who freely admits that you haven't been interested in speedway for some 60 years, yet individuals like myself have a full lifetime of following the sport.

Please John, just act like a normal person...

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Why the hell would you suddenly dig up and quote a post that is over a year old?

If (if...) there is a friendlier attitude on FB, it's because YOU don't treat everybody like sh!t! Still, you've been kicked out of groups on FB, and are barred from others, so what does THAT tell you? Besides, most of us are on FB too, and I have seen some of the crap you have posted there...

Why can't you act like an adult?

Why the endless self-promotion, and hijacking of threads to make it "all about gustix"?

Why can't you answer a legitimate question, which is common decency?

Why do you have to act like a little child, and just sit there for hours on end clicking on emojis?

Why do you act like you're superior to the rest of us, just because you worked for a local newspaper?

How sad is it when a "speedway journalist" - and one who supposedly concentrates on the "years gone by" - can't recognise Igor Plechanov, Ronnie Moore, and Ivan Mauger?

Why do you act like none of us know anything about speedway? YOU are the one who freely admits that you haven't been interested in speedway for some 60 years, yet individuals like myself have a full lifetime of following the sport.

Please John, just act like a normal person...

Isn't there an old saying something like 'the cuckoo has landed'? It certainly seems to have happened here. 

Regarding the riders I did not recognise in a photo. It was an awful print. I was not anyway a 'speedway journalist' but the sport was just one of several sports that  I have been interested in to a certain extent over the years. 

So far as my involvement with FB is concerned I note your remark but cannot recall any adverse comments in regard to items that are posted. There's a very basic reason why this does not happen which appears to have escaped you?

53 minutes ago, gustix said:

Isn't there an old saying something like 'the cuckoo has landed'? It certainly seems to have happened here. 

Regarding the riders I did not recognise in a photo. It was an awful print. I was not anyway a 'speedway journalist' but the sport was just one of several sports that  I have been interested in to a certain extent over the years. 

So far as my involvement with FB is concerned I note your remark but cannot recall any adverse comments in regard to items that are posted. There's a very basic reason why this does not happen which appears to have escaped you?

But on the sites on FB that I use, you are ADMIN.....so highly unlikely you would get adverse comments, they are your sites you do what you want but just recently you have had complaints about Fundin, Fundin, Fundin .....and even then you continue to put out photo's of him......gets boring after a while.

2 minutes ago, andout said:

But on the sites on FB that I use, you are ADMIN.....so highly unlikely you would get adverse comments, they are your sites you do what you want but just recently you have had complaints about Fundin, Fundin, Fundin .....and even then you continue to put out photo's of him......gets boring after a while.

Thanks for the Post. I note the comment re Ove Fundin. Are the actions you mentioned in Old Time Speedway on Facebook? I cannot seem to find what you mention but very much appreciate you drawing my attention to this happening.

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

Thanks for the Post. I note the comment re Ove Fundin. Are the actions you mentioned in Old Time Speedway on Facebook? I cannot seem to find what you mention but very much appreciate you drawing my attention to this happening.

I think there is a reason you have to start your own groups John. That way you don’t get much bother, but don’t get many comments anyway. One or two of the groups seem to have died a death or get about 3 posts a day. Mostly those that share things all over the place....

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Regarding the riders I did not recognise in a photo. It was an awful print.

That is a feeble excuse - particularly as there were THREE separate photos!

The Wimbledon team photo you posted wasn't the greatest quality, but it was certainly good enough for me to immediately identify the riders.

Steve Hone's photo of Ronnie and Ivan was in no way an awful print, and everybody else identified them easily enough.

Worse than that was the photo of Tommy Sweetman and Igor Plechanov. That was a large - and very clear - portrait, and you identified Tommy okay...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gustix said:

So you note the comment........AND immediately put out another Fundin photo in FB.........Sorry John but you are getting what you deserve.......

22 minutes ago, andout said:

So you note the comment........AND immediately put out another Fundin photo in FB.........Sorry John but you are getting what you deserve.......

That happened the other day, when we were talking about photo copyrights. Immediately after we had warned John of the dangers of posting such items, he followed by posting another on here!

"I was not anyway a 'speedway journalist' but the sport was just one of several sports that  I have been interested in to a certain extent over the years."

Thanks for clearing that up, John.

Oh, by the way, can you remind us who wrote this?

“Over the years I have written on a freelance basis for most speedway publications - 'Speedway Gazette,' 'Speedway Reporter,' 'Speedway News,' 'Speedway World' and many more. In 1954, when the Southern Area League started I offered to write about the competition for the 'Speedway Star' and they agreed….It was the start of a link that led to me being offered a full-time post at 'Speedway Star' in 1955… I stayed in that post until 1962.

“I was out of speedway journalism for more than 9 years, but resurfaced in 1972 when I was involved as a freelance writer and sub-editor with the 'Speedway Mail' which I ceased links with in 1984.

“There came another lengthy period out of speedway until Wimbledon's return as a Conference League track in 2002 when I resumed old links with 'Speedway Star' as the track reporter, also contributing items on overseas speedway.

“I…did edit in the early 1960s the first two editions of the annual 'Speedway Digest.' In recent years since about 1998 I have been a contributor to the 'Vintage Speedway Magazine' and more recent times to 'Classic speedway.'”

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, norbold said:

Thanks for clearing that up, John.

Oh, by the way, can you remind us who wrote this?

“Over the years I have written on a freelance basis for most speedway publications - 'Speedway Gazette,' 'Speedway Reporter,' 'Speedway News,' 'Speedway World' and many more. In 1954, when the Southern Area League started I offered to write about the competition for the 'Speedway Star' and they agreed….It was the start of a link that led to me being offered a full-time post at 'Speedway Star' in 1955… I stayed in that post until 1962.

“I was out of speedway journalism for more than 9 years, but resurfaced in 1972 when I was involved as a freelance writer and sub-editor with the 'Speedway Mail' which I ceased links with in 1984.

“There came another lengthy period out of speedway until Wimbledon's return as a Conference League track in 2002 when I resumed old links with 'Speedway Star' as the track reporter, also contributing items on overseas speedway.

“I…did edit in the early 1960s the first two editions of the annual 'Speedway Digest.' In recent years since about 1998 I have been a contributor to the 'Vintage Speedway Magazine' and more recent times to 'Classic speedway.'”

Thank you.

So, I'm not the only one who is getting confused? :blink: 

John does seem to contradict himself a lot, doesn't he? He switches from journalist to layman depending on how he thinks it will benefit his status.

2 hours ago, andout said:

2 hours ago, chunky said:

That happened the other day, when we were talking about photo copyrights. Immediately after we had warned John of the dangers of posting such items, he followed by posting another on here!

I am bewildered by both comments! Not unusual with items on the BSF. Please clarify (1) what FB group are the Ove Fundin photos appearing on -  its TITLE please. (2) And Chunky please clarify in regard to the photo Post. I have no idea what you are commenting about.