British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

US riders of the 30's

27 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Say what you want Iris  you  i do respect  you very much ( Chunky not so because he never backs down sulks like a bitch)so we have had our differences but we always seem  to move on.Chunky does not and he has  now involved Norbold who now hates me not to worry eh!!!!  the forum is dying anyway best to just read and say nothing.

You reckon I don't back down? You are the one who keeps the grudges going, despite the fact that I have never considered us to "be at war".

If I believe in something, why should I back down? At least I use fact, logic, reason, and statistics to substantiate my viewpoint. If YOU believe that strongly in something, it would probably help your case if you attempted the same, rather than resorting to name-calling and insults, ridiculously false accusations, and downright lies.

To say that I have "involved" norbold is downright stupid. Norman is a well-respected and mature individual who is old enough to make his own mind up about things. When I was going through stuff with gustix, YOU (as a complete outsider) -  decided to get involved - totally of your own free will. To suggest that Norman DIDN'T do a similar thing, and/or is my puppet, is a despicable claim, and you should be ashamed of yourself. It is not a case of "loyalty" to me, merely a case of reading - and comprehending - what is there in black and white.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gustix said:

Like yourself I have the utmost difficulty in coming to terms with chunky and tend to support your comment to a large extent.

Look John, we have had our problems, but I don't dislike you. I dislike the way you carry on sometimes, when we should just be discussing speedway, and you really don't do yourself any favours. I have conversed with you on a number of occasions, on BSF posts, FB groups, and by PM on both, and much of it is me offering friendly advice - which you tend to ignore.

I have told you many times that you are (and should be) a valuable member of this forum. Would I do that if I really had a problem with you?

Yes, a few days ago, I was annoyed with you. Why? Because you were being rude and very ignorant to an individual who asked you legitimate questions. I questioned when you posted Mike Kemp's photo, after the discussion we had about copyrights. I wasn't rude or aggressive, and I wasn't making fun of you; I simply made a friendly suggestion that you indicated that you had permission (to save any hassle on here). You got in a huff over that, for some reason.

I'm sorry, but it still shocks me (and many others on here) that you didn't recognise Plechanov, Moore or Mauger. However, you got in a huff over that. It is true that you have contradicted yourself several times regarding your career/non-career as a speedway journalist. If you contradict yourself like that, don't be surprised when people mock you.

When you have genuine questions, I am happy to help wherever possible - as I am when ANYBODY needs assistance. I was grateful when you corrected one of my recent posts - and I acknowledged it. I genuinely am (I know Sidney will disagree) a nice guy, and will help anyone in any way I can. I just have a low tolerance for stupidity...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Norbold  who i respect as much as anybody in the speedway world that I have ever met has been swayed by Chunky.

Quite right, Sidney. I am an idiot with no mind of my own and easily swayed by a man I have never met. I was totally unable to read all the posts on this Forum and make up my own mind and just fell under Chunky's Svengali-like influence.

It's very instructive to learn what your real opinion of me is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, chunky said:

Look John, we have had our problems, but I don't dislike you. I dislike the way you carry on sometimes, when we should just be discussing speedway, and you really don't do yourself any favours. I have conversed with you on a number of occasions, on BSF posts, FB groups, and by PM on both, and much of it is me offering friendly advice - which you tend to ignore.

I have told you many times that you are (and should be) a valuable member of this forum. Would I do that if I really had a problem with you?

Yes, a few days ago, I was annoyed with you. Why? Because you were being rude and very ignorant to an individual who asked you legitimate questions. I questioned when you posted Mike Kemp's photo, after the discussion we had about copyrights. I wasn't rude or aggressive, and I wasn't making fun of you; I simply made a friendly suggestion that you indicated that you had permission (to save any hassle on here). You got in a huff over that, for some reason.

I'm sorry, but it still shocks me (and many others on here) that you didn't recognise Plechanov, Moore or Mauger. However, you got in a huff over that. It is true that you have contradicted yourself several times regarding your career/non-career as a speedway journalist. If you contradict yourself like that, don't be surprised when people mock you.

When you have genuine questions, I am happy to help wherever possible - as I am when ANYBODY needs assistance. I was grateful when you corrected one of my recent posts - and I acknowledged it. I genuinely am (I know Sidney will disagree) a nice guy, and will help anyone in any way I can. I just have a low tolerance for stupidity...

The last sentence says it all you have arrogance in abundance.You have no intention of backing down on anything even if you are right or wrong a real shame but hey that is your personality and choice.

10 hours ago, chunky said:

You reckon I don't back down? You are the one who keeps the grudges going, despite the fact that I have never considered us to "be at war".

If I believe in something, why should I back down? At least I use fact, logic, reason, and statistics to substantiate my viewpoint. If YOU believe that strongly in something, it would probably help your case if you attempted the same, rather than resorting to name-calling and insults, ridiculously false accusations, and downright lies.

To say that I have "involved" norbold is downright stupid. Norman is a well-respected and mature individual who is old enough to make his own mind up about things. When I was going through stuff with gustix, YOU (as a complete outsider) -  decided to get involved - totally of your own free will. To suggest that Norman DIDN'T do a similar thing, and/or is my puppet, is a despicable claim, and you should be ashamed of yourself. It is not a case of "loyalty" to me, merely a case of reading - and comprehending - what is there in black and white.

My point was why did Norbold post to me to STOP it ???? why not you ???? you helped greatly towards the trouble on this thread.I truelly regret offending Norbold that was never my wish and believe it or not i dont hate or dislike you.

51 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

My point was why did Norbold post to me to STOP it ???? why not you ???? you helped greatly towards the trouble on this thread.I truelly regret offending Norbold that was never my wish and believe it or not i dont hate or dislike you.

Because Chunky wasn't doing anything that needed to be stopped Sid. He made reasonable points, and you have posted aggressively in response. We all respect you as a poster who speaks his mind and knows his speedway, but on this thread - in my view - it is you who is in the wrong in the interaction with Chunky. Not on opinions - we all have different ones of those- but in the way you have posted. 

I want my thread back :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You could always start another one... :rofl:

• Haha 1

I was thinking of putting this one on hide and starting from scratch. Might wait till gusto has gone though. In the meantime I would love it if anyone has some info on US riders in the 1930s. I’d even be ok with 2930s or 1940s. Board track stuff from 1914 not so much

30 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I was thinking of putting this one on hide and starting from scratch. Might wait till gusto has gone though. In the meantime I would love it if anyone has some info on US riders in the 1930s. I’d even be ok with 2930s or 1940s. Board track stuff from 1914 not so much

Other than odd newspaper reports, there doesn't seem to be that much info readily available. The problem is that there never seemed to be much separation between true speedway and other motorcycle disciplines. Even back to the early days, riders seemed to be competing against each other on the boards tracks and on dirt, and even when the board tracks died out, that never really changed (there were some big dirt tracks that could never really be classed as speedway). Of course, we never had the purpose-built (or at least purpose-laid) tracks over here...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Stop your butthurt whinging and go set up a FB group...

• Haha 1

Here is a clipping from the Fresno Bee on Tuesday, September 24, 1935.

"Prospects for an all-star scratch lineup for the final weekly short track motorcycle races Thursday night in the Fresno State College Stadium were given another boost today with the entry of two additional riders, one of whom will be making his first appearance here this season.

Byrd McKinney, Pasadena "strongman" of the short track and Tiny Carroll are the latest additions and bring the total of "zero" riders entered for the final chance for points to qualify in the national championships to seven.

Already entered are two former champions, Cordy Milne, 1934 titleholder, and Wilbur (Lammy) Lamoreaux, 1933 champion, and Ken Scofield, Pete Colman, and Sam Arena.

McKinney's entry, his first here this season, will provide another week of strongman art on the track. The husky blond rider from Pasadena rates as one of the shortest in the game, along with Big Bo Lisman, and the two furthered their claims to that honor by placing second and third Sunday in a hill and road race at the Ascot Speedway in Los Angeles.

Lisman will not ride here this week.

The program will be featured with trick riding by Putt Mossman, world champion stunt rider, his wife and sister, Mrs. Ray Grant and one match race to be announced tomorrow.

Mossman and his "bag o' many tricks" will be a complete new lineup including one with the three lined up on the motor as it travels 50 miles an hour down the track.

Additional handicap stars for the program also were announced today and include Leonard Andres of Stockton, Dick Wulzen of Merced, Al Lauer of Sacramento and Bud Laughlin of Sacramento.

Al Chasteen, Shorty Campbell, Chico Duarte, a newcomer from Los Angeles, Rusty Roberts, and Ray Grant already are entered in that division."

• Like 1

Great. I have found lots of previews, but actual results are pretty bare and maybe add that a League meeting was held and give a score, but never seen any heat details or scorers. And I guess whoever held the official results they have probably been lost by now

47 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Great. I have found lots of previews, but actual results are pretty bare and maybe add that a League meeting was held and give a score, but never seen any heat details or scorers. And I guess whoever held the official results they have probably been lost by now

You're 'avin a larf, mate! I don't think there has EVER been anything "official" as far as results and scores in American speedway, except in the short-lived league racing. The formats for domestic meetings are basically just a series of qualifying races with riders advancing according to position, and nobody is interested in keeping scores...

A few years ago, they had a meeting in Springfield, Illinois, which was actually run (under the jurisdiction of the AMA) as a qualifier for the US National Championship. It was a standard 20-heat, 16-rider format. I think I was the only person in the entire place with any kind of scorecard (I printed my own). Seriously.

People were whining because they had no idea what was going on, and wondered why a rider with three last places was still riding? They have no concept of anything other than a win-and-advance system, and certainly no inclination to keep any kind of scores.

Results are just listed as "Scratch Main" and "Handicap Main", and nothing that happens before the finals is considered worthy of record-keeping.

Edited by chunky
  • Haha 1

From the San Pedro News Pilot:

McKinney Again Winner of Motorcycle Feature

Los Angeles, June 15, 1935

"Byrd McKinney, Pasadena rider, walked off with his second consecutive victory in a week here last night when he won the feature scratch event in motorcycle race in 1 minute, 8.6 seconds. Clocked in behind him, in the order named, were Earl Farrand, Glendale, Cordy Milne, Pasadena, and 'Peewee' Cullum, Los Angeles."

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1