British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

US riders of the 30's

45 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Really do you ever   replyi that Politely??.Norbold is a nobody to me now shame  really liked him but we move on eh!! 

You've let yourself down badly over the past week Sid. I said to Steve Roberts I thought you should stay, after the last problem, but you just don't let things go. Enough from me Sid. You can stay or go, but I am not getting into another debate with you

Edited by iris123

54 minutes ago, iris123 said:

You've let yourself down badly over the past week Sid. I said to Steve I thought you should stay, after the last problem, but you just don't let things go. Enough from me Sid. You can stay or go, but I am not getting into another debate with you

GREAT STUFF Iris, you  and good old STEVE can lick each other''s behinds for ever .For me personally don't give a F....  about you two you can keep rocking and rolling for ever .Norbold  really hurts me to say it but hey that  that is life

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Chunky is clever for me I don't really care either way my way of posting is no worse than his his posting against Gustix/ right/ Wrong.Over a period he has been unpleasant nasty .at times and that is my honest opinion he gets AWAY wth it myself

You make false accusations and you resort to name-calling, and you claim that I am the nasty one?

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Thanks Iris good old Iris , you do a great job to contribute.BUT if you don't like what  i say YOU go on to another thread,

Why  don't you f.... yourself and move on ??!!! 

Don't  EVER preach to to me  is that clear anough .!!!!!

So it's okay for YOU to preach to others?

Why should iris move on to another thread? This is HIS thread, so I don't see why he should abandon it just because you have got yourself into a pother and have hijacked it.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

GREAT STUFF Iris, you  and good old STEVE can lick each other''s behinds for ever .For me personally don't give a F....  about you two you can keep rocking and rolling for ever .Norbold  really hurts me to say it but hey that  that is life

Iris and I have had our issues in the past - quite heated, in fact - but we are both mature enough to move on without bearing grudges. And PLEASE, don't say anything about norbold; the situation between you two is ENTIRELY of your own doing.

I know this is from 1940, but you said that was fine. This is from the Madeira Tribune, dated 18 July, 1940.

Glendale Ghost Will Augment Rider's Ranks

"Heavy traffic and competition of 1935 and 1936 when the short track motorcycle racing jockeys drew top crowds of between 5000 and 6000 fans to the Fresno State college stadium is in store for the fifth consecutive week on the quarter mile track here Saturday night beginning at 8 o'clock.

Promoters of the weekly flat track sports announced today Earl Farrand, the well known Glendale Ghost who used to make sport in springing upsets over Lammy Lamoreaux, Corfu and Jack Milne and others, is being sought to augment the ranks of the scratch riders this week.

The races, booked for an 8 p.m. starting time, consume approximately two hours running time."

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

I know this is from 1940, but you said that was fine. This is from the Madeira Tribune, dated 18 July, 1940.

Glendale Ghost Will Augment Rider's Ranks

"Heavy traffic and competition of 1935 and 1936 when the short track motorcycle racing jockeys drew top crowds of between 5000 and 6000 fans to the Fresno State college stadium is in store for the fifth consecutive week on the quarter mile track here Saturday night beginning at 8 o'clock.

Promoters of the weekly flat track sports announced today Earl Farrand, the well known Glendale Ghost who used to make sport in springing upsets over Lammy Lamoreaux, Corfu and Jack Milne and others, is being sought to augment the ranks of the scratch riders this week.

The races, booked for an 8 p.m. starting time, consume approximately two hours running time."

Great stuff . I did a few days ago come across a speedway meeting in Fresno in the 80s. But it was in Selland Arena on ice

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Great stuff . I did a few days ago come across a speedway meeting in Fresno in the 80s. But it was in Selland Arena on ice

Well, over the last 30 or 40 years, there have been a lot of indoor ice meetings around the US (I've been to several), but information is a lot harder to find that when outdoor meetings were advertised in the papers back in the 30's. Until now, I never realised that Fresno was such a hotbed of activity back then.

Just now, chunky said:

Well, over the last 30 or 40 years, there have been a lot of indoor ice meetings around the US (I've been to several), but information is a lot harder to find that when outdoor meetings were advertised in the papers back in the 30's. Until now, I never realised that Fresno was such a hotbed of activity back then.

Home of Sprouts Elder. But when I looked on wiki for the famous sons and daughters of Fresno, his name wasn't amongst them

There's an accepted reason for the demise of major USA speedway activity from the late 1930s.

Edited by Guest

Now, here is an interesting one! I know this is a little later, but this was from "The Billboard" magazine! They apparently had a regular "Speedway Round-Up" feature, with nearly everything about cars (mostly midgets), but there was this, from November 23, 1946.

"LOS ANGELES - Wilbur (Lammy) Lamoreaux, Glendale, Calif., won the night speedway national motorcycle title by capturing four straight races at Lincoln Park Stadium here Sunday (3) before 3,000 fans. He edged out Jack Milne, of Pasadena, 20 points to 19. Jimmy Gibb, of Hollywood, was third with 17; Byrd McKinney, Pasadena, 17 (lost in run-off with Gibb); Earl Farrand, Glendale, 14; Burton Albrecht, Monterey Park, 14."

Something I did find interesting, was a get together of motorcycle racers in Caifornia in 1963. The Milne brothers attended and it stated flowers were sent to a very ill Lammy(who sadly died not long after). But it was said that some film was shown of flat track, plus night speedway and of the Milne's and the world final where the US took all the podium spots. Being in California I would have thought there would be a good bit of footage of speedway, but nothing seems to be online

16 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Home of Sprouts Elder. But when I looked on wiki for the famous sons and daughters of Fresno, his name wasn't amongst them

That is a little odd, seeing that he was really was a well-known public figure, and there is quite a bit off stuff online. Here is a tribute to Sprouts from the September 1957 issue of American Motorcyclist magazine (I have included the spelling mistakes!)

"Lloyd "Sprouts" Elder has received the final checkered flag! To present riders, the name doesn't mean much, but to the old-timers, it means that one of the greatest short track racers has passed on. Sprouts was known all over the world.

England will remember him as one of the founders of cinder track racing which become so popular in the early thirties, in fact, crowds of 75,000 were common. South America will remember him as the world champion and Australia will recall that he was the best exponent of the short track broadslide.

We will always remember him as one of the finest, most loyal supporters that the AMA had. Sprouts was instrumental in organizing the Eastern circuit of short tracks when the boys were riding every night in the week! He got the two circuits going on the coast, in fact one track at Long Beach was built to his specifications, sunken pits, etc.

He visualized several circuits and winding up with a World Series and we had a couple of them. After he hung up his handlebars he served as AMA referee for the East and later he joined the California Highway Patrol where he served with distinction. He was severely injured while on duty and only his indomitable spirit and will to win kept him alive.

In the past years he has loafed and taken life easy. The sport of motorcycling owes "Sprouts" much, and we know that the Milne brothers, Cordy and Jack, Lammy Lamoreaux, Jimmy Gibbs, Crocky Rawding, Bennie Kaufman, and Bo Lisman, all former cinder track stars, will echo our statement that there was only one kingpin "Sprouts Elder".

To know him was a pleasure, to be his friends was a privilege. He lived, ate, and slept motorcycles. Old "No. 4" has passed on; but that spirit will forever be present whenever and wherever motorcycles are mentioned."

• Like 2

Another track I was not familiar with, in Stockton, CA. This was from the San Pedro News Pilot, on 2nd July, 1935.

Miny Waln Cops Feature Bike Race at Stockton

"Miny Waln, Syracuse, N.Y., won the final scratch event of a motorcycle racing program marked by several spills at the Stockton speedway last night. Sam Arena, San Jose, finished second to the former national champion in the main race."

• Like 1

Okay, gustix, why are you confused by the post I made above about Sprouts Elder?

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Okay, gustix, why are you confused by the post I made above about Sprouts Elder?

A. Because he is easily confused

B. Because he is an attention seeking troll

C. Because he is a sad old man with nothing better to do

D. All of the above

Take your pick...

• Like 1