British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

US riders of the 30's

34 minutes ago, gustix said:

Then my memories of the tape top football league - also involving John White - are wrong. And what about those football matches involving Radfield and St Margaret's that were arranged in the Echo Publication offices? Perhaps the passing of 60 years has dimmed my recollections of those days? Great and wonderful days in many ways.

You may be right about when MR joined. Did he work with you John when we were in that appalling office just off Ludgate Hill? It was certainly Jack Rollin (who I took over from as Editor of World Soccer in 1970) who went to Malmo, the first World Final held in Sweden.

Going back to his book, Martin mentions about starting for Echo in their Carter Lane offices when the "whimsically eccentric" John Hyam was the editor of Speedway Star.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

You may be right about when MR joined. Did he work with you John when we were in that appalling office just off Ludgate Hill? It was certainly Jack Rollin (who I took over from as Editor of World Soccer in 1970) who went to Malmo, the first World Final held in Sweden.

That's correct Phil.

34 minutes ago, salty said:

Going back to his book, Martin mentions about starting for Echo in their Carter Lane offices when the "whimsically eccentric" John Hyam was the editor of Speedway Star.

Must be some mistake surely ? I have heard one or two descriptions, but that is the kindest so far. Maybe hasn’t aged so well :party:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Must be some mistake surely ? I have heard one or two descriptions, but that is the kindest so far. Maybe hasn’t aged so well :party:

Typo? Seems to have 16 letters too many...

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

2 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Typo? Seems to have 16 letters too many...

The late 1950s-early 1960s were a much different time. My perception then of speedway was  much different to the offerings of this era. So of course as you rightly define waiheke 1 a late 1950s-early 1960s description of me compared to now some 60 years later can either be accepted as 'better' or 'worse'. But please can you elaborate on what your comment is meant to define? Thank you .

4 minutes ago, gustix said:

The late 1950s-early 1960s were a much different time. My perception then of speedway was  much different to the offerings of this era. So of course as you rightly define waiheke 1 a late 1950s-early 1960s description of me compared to now some 60 years later can either be accepted as 'better' or 'worse'. But please can you elaborate on what your comment is meant to define? Thank you .

I know, this again is a long shot, and obviously the remark by Martin, wasn't made by you, but do you think you could come up with one or maybe more suggestions as to why he would refer to you as 'whimsically exccentric'. It might help us to understand the modern John Hyam.....This is something that I understand to be in print and possibly a number of people are asking themselves the same question

Edited by iris123
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 2:00 PM, iris123 said:

I know, this again is a long shot, and obviously the remark by Martin, wasn't made by you, but do you think you could come up with one or maybe more suggestions as to why he would refer to you as 'whimsically exccentric'. It might help us to understand the modern John Hyam.....This is something that I understand to be in print and possibly a number of people are asking themselves the same question

TBH I am not sure what the comment means in the first place. I have never ever seen a copy of the Martin Rogers book so have no   idea of any preamble leading up to the remark that may have been written. My suggestion - and I make it sincerely - is that you try to buy a copy of the Martin Rogers book. The preamble there may help you in your inquiry.

Edited by Guest
spelling error

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

TBH I am not sure what the comment means in the first place. I have never evader seen a copy of the Martin Rogers book so have no   idea of any preamble leading up to the remark that may have been written. My suggestion - and I make it sincerely - is that you try to buy a copy of the Martin Rogers book. The preamble there may help you in your inquiry.

So you yourself would find no reason to be called either ‘whimsical’ or ‘eccentric’ and would be puzzled why the two would be combined I guess ? 

On 6/8/2020 at 11:18 PM, chunky said:

Okay, gustix, why are you confused by the post I made above about Sprouts Elder?

I guess it was a rather foolish attempt on my part to stimulate some debate about Lloyd 'Sprouts' Elder. I appear to have done that but sadly the wrong sort of comments. TBH since my early years of Following speedway - more years ago than I will detail! - I have been an ardent admirer of Elder.

In another BSF time when I was known as speedyguy I often commented on what a great rider he was. And other Posters criticised me for praising him so much. Your offerings in regard to his speedway achievements do much to confirm the admiration I have always had for him. Thank you chunky.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, gustix said:

TBH I am not sure what the comment means in the first place. I have never evader seen a copy of the Martin Rogers book so have no   idea of any preamble leading up to the remark that may have been written. My suggestion - and I make it sincerely - is that you try to buy a copy of the Martin Rogers book. The preamble there may help you in your inquiry.

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

So you yourself would find no reason to be called either ‘whimsical’ or ‘eccentric’ and would be puzzled why the two would be combined I guess ? 

As you have been a 'dedicated' follower of my BSF offerings for at least the past 10 years maybe you can clarify what Martin Rogers meant with his comment? I daresay you already have one ready but need a preamble from myself to justify its use? 

Getting back on topic...

Here is a preview of the AMA National Championship, from the Los Angeles Times on 1st July, 1934.

NATION'S LEADING BIKE STARS COMPETE TODAY IN COLISEUM CLASSIC

"Roaring motorbikes will claim speed-hungry fans this afternoon when the first national short-track championship title ever to be awarded by the American Motorcycle Association in open racing will be figuratively hung up in the Coliseum. Twenty of the nation's speedway aces will have their first shot at the title in sixteen events this afternoon. Tomorrow night twenty other flat-track stars will burn gasoline and rubber on the Coliseum oval for championship points. Tuesday night the ten high-point winners in each of the two cards will be matched in the finals.

In addition to the championship laurels a gigantic cup posted by the A.M.A. for the champion, and a hefty percentage of a $3000 purse determined by points earned will be the material rewards for risking life and limb in turning up limit speeds four four laps of the track in each event. From the opening flag every speedway dare-devil will turn his motor loose to garner as many points as possible in each race, assuring the fans hair-raising action from the start.

Lloyd (Sprouts) Elder, hailed by many as the greatest motorbike pilot who ever lived, will be on hand this afternoon to demonstrate that there is nothing fictional about his English, Australian and American wins that rate him an international champion. On the same card there will be such aces of aces at flat-track sprinting as Al Chasteen of Oakland, "Bo" Lisman and others.

With District Inspector W.F. Cannon as director-general, the meet is being staged under A.M.A. sanction by the California Association of Highway Patrolmen, with proceeds to benefit widows and orphans of State traffic officers, and their convention. Official representatives of the A.M.A. in charge include Fred Ludlow, supervisor; Al Koogler, referee; Merrill Anderson, starter. and Charles Moist, head pit steward.

A new brand of thrills for those unfamiliar with the sport is guaranteed as the 275-pound bikes are broadsided into turns at a mile-a-minute clip with no clutches or brakes to aid the rider. No other type of racing puts such a test on individual skill and daring every split second the rider is on the track."

Lineup

27 - Sid Chambers, 2 - Byrd McKinney, 84 - Eddie Spadafore, 70 - Snooks Blankenburg, 4 - Sprouts Elder, 63 - Cliff Self, 49 - Chico Duarte, 10 - Burton Albrecht, 64 - Lou Casazza, 13 - "Bo" Lisman, 3 - Miny Waln, 19 - Bert Lewis, 65 - Ed Jones, 47 - Pete Coleman, 90 - Ray Holt, 83 - Frank Servetl.

Reserves - Bud Johnson, Jack Burris, Manuel Trujillo, Lou Branch.

Edited by chunky

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

3 hours ago, gustix said:

As you have been a 'dedicated' follower of my BSF offerings for at least the past 10 years maybe you can clarify what Martin Rogers meant with his comment? I daresay you already have one ready but need a preamble from myself to justify its use? 

As usual you make an evasive Post to avoid an answer when a question is fired at you. I do not readily undesand what Martin Rogers in his book implied with the 'whimsical eccentric' comment. NOR DO I CARE OR WORRY ABOUT IT. I am still in contact with Martin via FACEBOOK but have no intention what is now some 50 year old description meant. Nor do I care about. If you want a definition for it I suggest you PM him via FACEBOOK. On th´other hand - and in your usual characteristic 'assassination' mode I think you have a comment to decide what was meant. So let's have  it or  SHUT UP.

Touched a nerve John ? Don't get so upset. As for demanding answers to questions, well you are a right one to do that. Think a lot of us were waiting over a year for you to clarify a question put to you about Mike Bast. That is just one that springs to mind.......and sadly you didn't shut up in the period between the question being put to you and you answering in a satisfactory manner. So, i'll follow your example :party:

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Touched a nerve John ? Don't get so upset. As for demanding answers to questions, well you are a right one to do that. Think a lot of us were waiting over a year for you to clarify a question put to you about Mike Bast. That is just one that springs to mind.......and sadly you didn't shut up in the period between the question being put to you and you answering in a satisfactory manner. So, i'll follow your example :party:

You are correct in regard to the Mike Bast issue. It was a foolish attitude on my part and should never been allowed by me to carry on as it did. For my part I have no idea what being described as  'whimsically eccentric'.  may mean. TBH you seem far more concerned about the reference than I am. "

As a renowned 'clever rrrrsss' yourself suggest a definition of it. Or move on to another thread I am on and debunk that instead. BTW do you know the actual date from 10 years ago when you first selected me as one (there are others) of your thread victims?