British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

US riders of the 30's

2 hours ago, chunky said:

That was Bob Sarkegian, who had an Indian dealership in San Diego. He was actually a pretty accomplished rider, often being mentioned alongside such legends as Ralph Hepburn, Jim Davis, and Ray Weishaar.

That is good. At the time they were both riding Harley’s and of course it was those 10 mile races etc not 4 lap speedway. It could well be the Harley link that took Elder to Oz as I did find a connection on the Frank Arthur thread that a Harley dealership in Oz invited riders over at first

12 hours ago, chunky said:

You know, I actually wondered the same thing! Maybe that should be 1926/27 instead? Thing is, perhaps he hadn't actually taken up "speedway" at that point?

The trouble with the bios on the Hall of Fame is that they aren't usually that detailed, certainly not enough for people like us! I've actually been trying tonight, to find more specifics on his non-speedway career.. 

Anther piece from wiki, that I would query

In Australia Elder raced against top Australian as well as several top British and American riders who also spent the winter months racing in the Australian summer

Now I am not sure how many times Elder went to Australia, but I don't think any 'top British ' rider went there until 1929/30. Fay Taylour I think was possibly the first after speedway started in the Uk, who went after the 1928 season.By the time a lot of good British riders went, Sprouts was doing the South America trips. Not 100% on that though

But of course he did write a book which probably sets out his career in detail

https://www.amazon.com/romance-speedway-Sprouts-Elder/dp/B0010ZWMZK

Edited by iris123

14 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Anther piece from wiki, that I would query

In Australia Elder raced against top Australian as well as several top British and American riders who also spent the winter months racing in the Australian summer

Now I am not sure how many times Elder went to Australia, but I don't think any 'top British ' rider went there until 1929/30. Fay Taylour I think was possibly the first after speedway started in the Uk, who went after the 1928 season.By the time a lot of good British riders went, Sprouts was doing the South America trips. Not 100% on that though

But of course he did write a book which probably sets out his career in detail

I agree 100%. At least there was racing in the US prior to 1928, which is why some of them went to Aussie, but I would question British riders going there.

That 1925/26 comment I made last night, when he supposedly travelled with Cecil Brown and Eddie Brinck; I haven't found - as yet - any trace of Brinck appearing there that early, and the earliest mention I have of Brown is 1926.

Yeah, I would LOVE to get a copy of "The Romance of the Speedway", but even if I can find one, it won't be cheap...

8 hours ago, iris123 said:

That is good. At the time they were both riding Harley’s and of course it was those 10 mile races etc not 4 lap speedway. It could well be the Harley link that took Elder to Oz as I did find a connection on the Frank Arthur thread that a Harley dealership in Oz invited riders over at first

This is interesting though, as it shows Elder in Australia in 1927 using and wearing Indian Motorcycle gear

https://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/nachrichtenfoto/american-speedway-racer-sprouts-elders-at-the-nachrichtenfoto/539491723

and an early pic ?

https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/lloyd-sprouts-elder-is-considered-one-of-the-fathers-nachrichtenfoto/156317547

Edited by iris123

9 minutes ago, chunky said:

I agree 100%. At least there was racing in the US prior to 1928, which is why some of them went to Aussie, but I would question British riders going there.

That 1925/26 comment I made last night, when he supposedly travelled with Cecil Brown and Eddie Brinck; I haven't found - as yet - any trace of Brinck appearing there that early, and the earliest mention I have of Brown is 1926.

Yeah, I would LOVE to get a copy of "The Romance of the Speedway", but even if I can find one, it won't be cheap...

A cool $948-05 on Amazon! Better hurry as there is only one available ;)

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

A cool $948-05 on Amazon! Better hurry as there is only one available ;)

Yeah, I mean an AFFORDABLE one, Steve!

Strange thing is, I have an extensive book collection, mostly non-fiction. I was looking for a copy of Sir Thomas Beecham's autobiography, "A Mingled Chime". The cheapest I could find on Amazon was $80; I found a number elsewhere (various sites) that were less than $10! I ended up paying $8.

I did find a copy of Elder's book (no longer available) for $60. Even if I can find one for $200-300, that is very manageable - and a helluva lot cheaper than forking out a grand!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, iris123 said:

As I said earlier, he won his first Golden Helmet on a Rudge, and the next two on an Indian. We also know he rode a Harley...

12 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I mean an AFFORDABLE one, Steve!

Strange thing is, I have an extensive book collection, mostly non-fiction. I was looking for a copy of Sir Thomas Beecham's autobiography, "A Mingled Chime". The cheapest I could find on Amazon was $80; I found a number elsewhere (various sites) that were less than $10! I ended up paying $8.

I did find a copy of Elder's book (no longer available) for $60. Even if I can find one for $200-300, that is very manageable - and a helluva lot cheaper than forking out a grand!

I would dearly like to own a first edition of  "On the Origin of Species" but seeing that one was sold at auction for £162,950 I may well have to set my ambitions somewhat lower!

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I would dearly like to own a first edition of  "On the Origin of Species" but seeing that one was sold at auction for £162,950 I may well have to set my ambitions somewhat lower!

Um, I think it's the trains or the book!

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Um, I think it's the trains or the book!

I could sell the Rolls...if only!   

Interesting, if off topic

Edgar Elder, the original driver of this 1938 “Farmall Special” Midget, made a name for himself in the early days of circle track racing as a driver, designer and builder. Born in 1923 and hailing from Fresno, California, Elder grew up around racing and was introduced to motorsports early; his father, “Sprouts” Elder, was not only a legendary motorcycle racer but also half of the team that invented the Harley-Davidson “Knucklehead”-derived Drake midget race car engine, paving young Elder’s way into the sport. During Edgar’s formative years, the Fresno area was a hotbed of early circle track racing development, and he would go on to design and build several well-performing midgets while developing his own driving career—one that spanned the West Coast and brought him to some of the more well-known tracks of the Midwest. The days of Edgar’s race car helmsmanship came to an abrupt end, however, after a particularly serious crash at the famed Gilmore Stadium in Los Angeles before the track was torn down in 1952. Still, he would go on to make a name and career for himself in the sport as he crewed, designed and built winning midgets, even designing and building a few Indy cars by the early ‘60s. The Farmall Special—named for its warmed-over 123 CI Farmall 4-cylinder and originally driven by Edgar—was campaigned across Northern and Central California from 1938 through the mid-‘60s and possesses a provenance made more historically important because of Edgar’s well-rounded and documented contributions to the golden era of independent circle track racing, USAC and the Indy series.

• Like 1