US riders of the 30's

One thing I found a while back are the teams for season 1933

Loyola

Milne brothers, Lammy and Burton Albrecht

Long Beach

Bo Lisman, Earl Farrand, Shorty Campbell,George Lannon

San Diego

Mark Porter, Kenny Schofield, Miny Waln, Byrd McKinney

If that remained constant, then as they say, i'll eat my hat if Loyola didn't win

Edited by iris123

From the San Pedro News Pilot, September 6, 1933. Please note the apparent duplication of the "scratch finals" (I assume one was the handicap final).

"Wilbur (Lammy) Lamoreaux featured the Long Beach Motospeedway motorcycle racing program last night, winning every race he entered but one in which he spilled on the last lap. Lamoreaux took the scratch final from Cordy Milne, Bo Lisman, and Jack Milne, in that order, in 1:11.6. Shorty Campbell won the scratch final from Burton Albrecht and Jack Milne in 1:14.6 after Lamoreaux had spilled. Albrecht beat Ed Hinkle and McKinney nosed out Jack Milne in the match races. The Loyola Lions walked off with first honors, 75-51, in the team match races with the Long Beach Pirates."

12 minutes ago, iris123 said:

One thing I found a while back are the teams for season 1933

Loyola

Milne brothers, Lammy and Burton Albrecht

Long Beach

Bo Lisman, Earl Farrand, Shorty Campbell,George Lannon

San Diego

M. Parker, Kenny Schofield, Miny Waln, Byrd McKinney

If that remained constant, then as they say, i'll eat my hat of Loyola didn't win

Where did you get that info? I have found a programme that lists those teams, and the entire schedule for the evening. That "M. Parker" is Mark Porter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chunky said:

Where did you get that info? I have found a programme that lists those teams, and the entire schedule for the evening. That "M. Parker" is Mark Porter.

Not sure. Just a note I made. Just have the date October 1933. And you are right with Mark Porter, my dodgy writing

I know in 1934 Emeryville entered as well as the Red Devils and Sam Arena was riding for them. Also have a recollection that one team entered whilst the league was already underway around that time

Edited by iris123

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Not sure. Just a note I made. Just have the date October 1933. And you are right with Mark Porter, my dodgy writing

Then I am sure you will be interested in https://speedwayprograms.com/index.html

There are some incredible finds on there from tracks I never knew existed! It's a goldmine of information. Google is a great friend...

• Like 1

Although I also have a preview from 29 September 1933

San Diego Loyola Lions v Long Beach Pirates

San Diego team

Miny Waln, Mark Porter (C), Byrd McKinney, Rusty Roberts

Mark being a San Diego boy was a unanimous choice as captain

The Pirates have won 3 in a row v Loyola at home and hope to make it 4

I guess this might be a US style that the home team is listed last ? 

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Although I also have a preview from 29 September 1933

San Diego Loyola Lions v Long Beach Pirates

San Diego team

Miny Waln, Mark Porter (C), Byrd McKinney, Rusty Roberts

Mark being a San Diego boy was a unanimous choice as captain

The Pirates have won 3 in a row v Loyola at home and hope to make it 4

I guess this might be a US style that the home team is listed last ? 

That sounds about right...

Looks like I have an apology to make. Seems like they DID keep scores in some meetings, although that may just be in Championship meetings. I still don't suppose many Americans were ardent scorekeepers and statisticians like we anoraks...

11 minutes ago, chunky said:

Looks like I have an apology to make. Seems like they DID keep scores in some meetings, although that may just be in Championship meetings. I still don't suppose many Americans were ardent scorekeepers and statisticians like we anoraks...

No apology needed.

I do also have one. San Diego won 41-Loyola 28 and Long Beach 5 pts from October 1933

On 5/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, waiheke1 said:

Because Chunky wasn't doing anything that needed to be stopped Sid. He made reasonable points, and you have posted aggressively in response. We all respect you as a poster who speaks his mind and knows his speedway, but on this thread - in my view - it is you who is in the wrong in the interaction with Chunky. Not on opinions - we all have different ones of those- but in the way you have posted. 

THANKS .

On 5/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, waiheke1 said:

Because Chunky wasn't doing anything that needed to be stopped Sid. He made reasonable points, and you have posted aggressively in response. We all respect you as a poster who speaks his mind and knows his speedway, but on this thread - in my view - it is you who is in the wrong in the interaction with Chunky. Not on opinions - we all have different ones of those- but in the way you have posted. 

Unless you are a total fool  and i know you are not,     noboldies fool, Waike).    Chunky is clever for me I don't really care either way my way of posting is no worse than his his posting against Gustix/ right/ Wrong.Over a period he has been unpleasant nasty .at times and that is my honest opinion he gets AWAY wth it myself i don't believe i. would get a way with it.

We've moved on, why can't you ?

Just let us get on with the topic. If you have nothing to contribute, go to another

Just let us get on with the topic. If you have nothing to contribute, go to another

Thanks Iris good old Iris , you do a great job to contribute.BUT if you don't like what  i say YOU go on to another thread,

Why  don't you f.... yourself and move on ??!!! 

Don't  EVER preach to to me  is that clear anough .!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Thanks Iris good old Iris , you do a great job to contribute.BUT if you don't like what  i say YOU go on to another thread,

Why  don't you f.... yourself and move on ??!!! 

Don't  EVER preach to to me  is that clear anough .!!!!!

I was being polite.Not sure why you bring this back up after days have gone by. If you want a barney, I think Norbold started a thread just for us

I was being polite.Not sure why you bring this back up after days have gone by. If you want a barney, I think Norbold started a thread just for us

Really do you ever   replyi that Politely??.Norbold is a nobody to me now shame  really liked him but we move on eh!!