British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ZagarRacing

Who has the strongest top 3 riders??

Poole won last year with a solid line up which proved invaluable but the back up to the top two is vital as is a good reserve and if you look at number fours, Nick Morris at Wolves has to be the strongest by some way .

However it's also important to have a bargain in there and Kyle Howarth at Wolves, Ricky Wells at Belle Vue and again Morris and Thorssell at Wolves look to be on modest averages. New faces in Lidsey at Belle Vue and Becker at Wolves could be bargains and Lampart at Swindon could be a bargain in some opinions as could Bjerre at Aces.

As as for stronger top three, will agree with Swindon but strongest top four and most potential look to be Wolves

Have always hated ultra top heavy sides, for me a solid team with at least one good reserve is the better way to go. 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Have always hated ultra top heavy sides, for me a solid team with at least one good reserve is the better way to go. 

Oh I don’t know, I quite liked our 98 team with Rickardsson, Gollob and Chris Louis in it

:P

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

Funnily enough even though my memory is pretty good I can remember very little about 1998 :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Oh I don’t know, I quite liked our 98 team with Rickardsson, Gollob and Chris Louis in it

The last truly great UK speedway team. Over 20 year ago. Ouch. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

3 hours ago, ouch said:

I don't know about that, there's been some pretty decent teams since.

Wolves 2016 top five of Lindgren, Woffy, Peter Karlsson, Masters and Thorssell.

It was only just over 2 years ago but sounds like someone's dream team now

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ouch said:

Magic holder ward, probably the closest trip in recent memory!

will never forget the season of 98, not only were Ricksrdssson gollob and Louis an imperious top 3 Scotty emerged that season and as a young lad Toni svab was my favourite rider!

The only real disappointment was savalas clouting not being able to fulfil his undoubted natural talent - never got his confidence back after a couple of hefty crashes sadly

• Like 1

Gordon Kennett, Kelly Moran & Ron Preston (Eastbourne) in 1982 was a pretty impressive threesome. However after Paul Woods there was very little else to offer!

Edited by steve roberts

51 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Gordon Kennett, Kelly Moran & Ron Preston (Eastbourne) in 1982 was a pretty impressive threesome. However after Paul Woods there was very little else to offer!

and far from being the top hl trio that season. penhall gundersen grahame and ross morton collins definitely stronger.

and you could argue olsen, knudsen, shirra or sigalos cook eriksen were comparable.

none of those sides had a bottom.three as weak as eastborne though, albeit Cradley had equally rubbish reserves.

39 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

and far from being the top hl trio that season. penhall gundersen grahame and ross morton collins definitely stronger.

and you could argue olsen, knudsen, shirra or sigalos cook eriksen were comparable.

none of those sides had a bottom.three as weak as eastborne though, albeit Cradley had equally rubbish reserves.

I wasn't actually suggesting that they were the best that season although the three Eastbourne lads registered averages all over nine points a meeting unlike those at Belle Vue, Coventry and Ipswich. Eastbourne's tail end let them down badly as I intimated and it's something that Ron Preston was quoted as saying same in an interview in 'Backtrack' some years ago.

Edited by steve roberts

Probably the best team I can remember the Stars ever having was back in '72  when our team was Betts;  Simmo; Howard Cole as heat leaders  Phil Crump and Ian Turner as 2nd strings, with Bob Humphries and Barry Crowson as reserves.   A strong team by any standards,  but we still weren't good enough to win...:(

On 2/16/2019 at 6:55 AM, 89buttons said:

Magic holder ward, probably the closest trip in recent memory!

will never forget the season of 98, not only were Ricksrdssson gollob and Louis an imperious top 3 Scotty emerged that season and as a young lad Toni svab was my favourite rider!

The only real disappointment was savalas clouting not being able to fulfil his undoubted natural talent - never got his confidence back after a couple of hefty crashes sadly

In my living memory the team of 98 for Ippo was the strongest I can remember. Only other team I can remember close to that would be one of the Cradley teams of the 80’s.

• Like 1

Hard to say being a wolves fan but that Cradley team in the 80s not sure of year with Ravn and Jan O Pedersen at reserve has to be strongest I've ever seen they would hit 55 pts every home match and only 13 heats those days.