British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ZagarRacing

Who has the strongest top 3 riders??

After 98 along came the lesser known at the time east anglian elite league team containing Crump, Sullivan and the unsung Tesar to win the EL Championship, KO Cup, Craven Shield and provide the riders champion and all with around half of the team that dominated the Premier League the season before those were the days when speedway was proper speedway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

Hard to say being a wolves fan but that Cradley team in the 80s not sure of year with Ravn and Jan O Pedersen at reserve has to be strongest I've ever seen they would hit 55 pts every home match and only 13 heats those days.

Yes that was quite a team - 1983? -  Gundersen, Wigg, King with Alan Grahame and Phil Collins as 2nd strings. Think a young Simon Cross got a few meetings too?

Cross was the number 8 in the squad I believe. Jan O finished the season at number 7 in the averages on a 7+ figure. Lance King rode at number 2 partnering Wiggy, with Collins and Grahame at 4 and 5.  An amazing team. 

6 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Cross was the number 8 in the squad I believe. Jan O finished the season at number 7 in the averages on a 7+ figure. Lance King rode at number 2 partnering Wiggy, with Collins and Grahame at 4 and 5.  An amazing team. 

Phil Crump scored a full maximum against them though!

My selective memory has conveniently forgotten what the rest of the Swindon team scored in that match!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Best team ever (through gritted teeth). Everything just clicked.

And yet on paper, Wigg was stepping up a division and was still relatively unproven at top level, Pedersen was a raw debutant, Ravn was dropped and unwanted by Belle Vue and King started the season as a very young second string still establishing himself. But they were all absolutely brilliant - even the existing spine of the team Gundersen, Collins and Grahame stepped up a another level.

Ipswich all round double winning team from 84 deserves a mention , 

Sanders and Knight  1-2 

Cook and Doncaster 5-4 

But Kai Niemi ( replacing Siggy ) was a revelation at the number 3 position 

Great team  !.

..Back on topic, I'd say Wolves have the strongest 3 on paper 

Edited by WestGorton1884

Baring mind i'm on the last bit of a70cl bottle .So allow me some slack lads for a bit of fun...  :blink: 4 or 5 rides will cross over all the time. so from 14 rides. top 3 riders by ave.

Swindon Home 31

Away  26

P boro Home 28

Away 25

Wolves Home 28

Away 25 

BV Home 29

Away 24

Would never rule Poole out of anything though. But gave up :)

Edited by Bald Bloke

Swindon top 3 is way ahead of any other team.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Col said:

Swindon top 3 is way ahead of any other team.

Swindon 24.01

Wolves 23.28

So not way ahead.

18 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Swindon 24.01

Wolves 23.28

So not way ahead.

But in Doyle, Swindon have a rider who can win heats 13 & 15 at any track.  Something Wolves lack.  Both are probably past their peak but Batchelor is a few years younger than Schlien, and Batchelor is still competing in Poland & Sweden not the Championship.  Batchelor was also a GP rider for a couple of years something Schlien never was or will be.  Would suggest there is probably a little more to come from Musielak, not convinced there is from Thorsell.

Strangely if someone had asked who have the strongest top 4, I'd probably have gone for Wolves.

2 hours ago, Col said:

But in Doyle, Swindon have a rider who can win heats 13 & 15 at any track.  Something Wolves lack.  Both are probably past their peak but Batchelor is a few years younger than Schlien, and Batchelor is still competing in Poland & Sweden not the Championship.  Batchelor was also a GP rider for a couple of years something Schlien never was or will be.  Would suggest there is probably a little more to come from Musielak, not convinced there is from Thorsell.

Strangely if someone had asked who have the strongest top 4, I'd probably have gone for Wolves.

Wolves do have the strongest top 4 indeed.

i agree that Swindon have the strongest top 3 by the way, just pointing out they aren’t as way ahead as you stated.

matters not one jot what riders do abroad, the averages are for what they achieved in UK racing. And figures show the top 3 of Wolves isn’t way behind as you indicated.

otherwise I agree.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:04 PM, stevebrum said:

Swindon 24.01

Wolves 23.28

So not way ahead.

7 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Wolves do have the strongest top 4 indeed.

i agree that Swindon have the strongest top 3 by the way, just pointing out they aren’t as way ahead as you stated.

matters not one jot what riders do abroad, the averages are for what they achieved in UK racing. And figures show the top 3 of Wolves isn’t way behind as you indicated.

otherwise I agree.

Going by that,Belle Vue have a stronger top 4 don't they:P:wink:

16 hours ago, tellboy said:

Not convinced, but allot depends how Bewley does, post injury.

26 minutes ago, Col said:

Not convinced, but allot depends how Bewley does, post injury.

don't worry dan will be fine better than last season :party:

17 hours ago, tellboy said:

No, Wolves top 4 = 29.88 compared to 28.85 for BV

However Swindon Robins top 4 = 30.43, mainly due to the massive average for Doyle of 9.8