British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Skidder1

R.I.P. Vikki Orvice

Many will have read about the sad passing of Vikki Orvice (56), most recently a senior sports reporter of Athletics and Football for The Sun.

In her early days as a junior reporter (and when the National Press used to at least give Speedway a passing mention) it was often Vikki's name that headed up the report.

I believe she was also a contributor to Speedway Star for several of the Northern and Midland clubs.

R.I.P.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Many will have read about the sad passing of Vikki Orvice (56), most recently a senior sports reporter of Athletics and Football for The Sun.

In her early days as a junior reporter (and when the National Press used to at least give Speedway a passing mention) it was often Vikki's name that headed up the report.

I believe she was also a contributor to Speedway Star for several of the Northern and Midland clubs.

R.I.P.

SHE wasn't...

Obviously not intending to doubt the sincerity of the OP,  but was it not Janine Self who is/was the speedway correspondent?

1 hour ago, Tigerblade said:

Obviously not intending to doubt the sincerity of the OP,  but was it not Janine Self who is/was the speedway correspondent?

YES

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SHE wasn't...

Apologies for the incorrect Speedway Star reference!:cry:

I was surprised to read she had a speedway link. I worked with Vikki for several years in athletics circles and she never mentioned it. Then again, did i mention i was a speedway fan? Probably not...it's usually a conversation killer.

Very sorry to hear of her passing. She was an incredibly strong woman. She had to be in a blokes world, working for the blokiest of newspapers. She fought her corner like a tiger and I felt the sharp end of her tongue more than once! But she never bore a grudge and could also be incredibly warm-hearted and humorous too. She was also a bloody good journalist. RIP

Edited by falcace

1 hour ago, falcace said:

I was surprised to read she had a speedway link. I worked with Vikki for several years in athletics circles and she never mentioned it. Then again, did i mention i was a speedway fan? Probably not...it's usually a conversation killer.

Very sorry to hear of her passing. She was an incredibly strong woman. She had to be in a blokes world, working for the blokiest of newspapers. She fought her corner like a tiger and I felt the sharp end of her tongue more than once! But she never bore a grudge and could also be incredibly warm-hearted and humorous too. She was also a bloody good journalist. RIP

It was only snippets of various sports - including speedway - when she was a young 'cub' reporter (pre-Sun and Mail) still learning her trade and being required to cover most sports especially the 'minor' ones.