British Speedway Forum

10 favourite South African riders

My 10 favourite South African riders: Henry Long, Doug Davies, Keith Harvey, Fred Wills, Buddy Fuller, Doug Serrurier, Roy Bester, Fred Lang, Arthur Duncan, Cecil de la Porte.

The last South African who I can trace as racing in the UK in recent years is Byron Becker about 10 years ago. Have there been any others since then?

Edited by Guest

Was Dave Collins British who moved to South Africa, or was he South African?

Dave Collins is a Londoner.He was born near the old West Ham track and started to support them as a young boy in 1938. In WW2 he served in the Royal Navy. Soon after the war ended he emigrated to South Africa and worked as a gold miner to earn money to buy a speedway bike and raced from 1948 to the late 1960s-early 1970s. Most of his racing career was in South Africa but he also came to Europe and rode for a couple of British tracks and also in Holland and Spain. Now in his early 90s he lives with his wife in Natal and has phoned me a couple of times in recent months.

Edited by Guest