British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The name's the same!

Just to set things moving - how many riders have there been with the same name. Here's one 'duplicate' to the ball rolling - Bob Harrison.

And just missing out over one letter - Ron Clarke and Ron Clark.

Jan Pedersen

Brian Clark the Peterborough Panther and Brian Clark the Scottish junior (circa 70s)

Steve Baker the Halifax Duke and Steve Baker the Boston junior. 

Edit .... The Doctor - not forgetting Jiri (George) Stancl!  

Edited by Tigerblade
PS
  • Like 1

Rob Grant

There's been at least 3  Pete Smiths

2 x Peter Karlsson

2 x Ian Stead

2 x Graham Jones

John Jorgensen and Johnny Jorgensen

I think there were at least 2 Jan Andersens as well as Jan Andersson

2 x John Williams  (one who went by the name John J Williams)

2 x Paul Coopers.  (One rode for Scunthorpe at Quibell Park , one rode for Scunthorpe at the EWR)

2 x Finn Jensen

Edited by WalterPlinge

1 hour ago, WalterPlinge said:

There's been at least 3  Pete Smiths

2 x Peter Karlsson

2 x Ian Stead

2 x Graham Jones

John Jorgensen and Johnny Jorgensen

I think there were at least 2 Jan Andersens as well as Jan Andersson

2 x John Williams  (one who went by the name John J Williams)

2 x Paul Coopers.  (One rode for Scunthorpe at Quibell Park , one rode for Scunthorpe at the EWR)

2 x Finn Jensen

Damn you! This is one of my favourite categories and you've stolen all these from me!

Still, there was :

Ian Williams (Swindon / Wimbledon junior)

The much-discussed Barry Lee (West Ham junior / Rayleigh).

Andy Buck (Eastbourne etc / Middlesbrough)

Jack Bibby (Aussie at Sheffield and Hackney / Crayford)

Steve

Edited by chunky

I am really enjoying the responses to the thread - especially those that specify where the same-names rode rather than just giving a name. Nevertheless it is all most interesting. 

BTW I mentioned two Bob Harrisons - the best known Bob Harrison was the old-time England, Belle Vue and West Ham rider. I think the 'other' Bob Harrison was circa 1950s - possibly rode for Aldershot and Long Eaton?

Ron Clarke was best known post-war as an England and Bradford rider. I think the rider Ron Clark rode for England in junior test matches and his club was Hastings.

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, chunky said:

Damn you! This is one of my favourite categories and you've stolen all these from me!

Still, there was :

Ian Williams (Swindon / Wimbledon junior)

The much-discussed Barry Lee (West Ham junior / Rayleigh).

Steve

Of course the Barry Lee who was a West Ham junior went into car racing and was for many years a leading driver in various formulas. There used to be two page features about him in 'Motoring News' at one time. He also wrote a much acclaimed book about his car racing and so far as I know still attends many car events where he is a welcome and much acclaimed guest.

Edited by Guest

Tommy Price - one from the North who rode for Liverpool and Preston  and the one born in Cambridge who rode for Wembley and won the World Championship in 1949. As totally confused by Brian Belton in his book, Hammerin' Round!

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Tommy Price - one from the North who rode for Liverpool and Preston  and the one born in Cambridge who rode for Wembley and won the World Championship in 1949. As totally confused by Brian Belton in his book, Hammerin' Round!

He wasn't the first to do that! Remember, the 1937 Speedway Riders set of ciggy cards from Players' did the same thing years before...

Steve