British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The name's the same!

7 hours ago, gustix said:

And just missing out over one letter - Ron Clarke and Ron Clark.

7 hours ago, gustix said:

Another so VERY nearly - Wal Morton and Val Morton.

3 hours ago, gustix said:

Ron Clarke was best known post-war as an England and Bradford rider. I think the rider Ron Clark rode for England in junior test matches and his club was Hastings.

These would have been good contributions if the title of the thread had been "The Name's Not the Same" :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, CottonOn said:

These would have been good contributions if the title of the thread had been "The Name's Not the Same" :D

I'm so glad YOU said that, and not me or iris123...

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, norbold said:

Tommy Price - one from the North who rode for Liverpool and Preston  and the one born in Cambridge who rode for Wembley and won the World Championship in 1949. As totally confused by Brian Belton in his book, Hammerin' Round!

7 hours ago, chunky said:

He wasn't the first to do that! Remember, the 1937 Speedway Riders set of ciggy cards from Players' did the same thing years before...

Steve

Speedway Museum Online carries both sets of cigarette cards. I could see no reference on Ogdens in regard to Tom Price, but there is one on Players which appears correct?

PLAYERS CIGARETTE CARDS

Speedway
Riders

Tommy Price

(Liverpool)

Thomas Arthur Price, a Lancashire lad born at Burscough Bridge in 1907, started his speedway career at Preston soon after the sport reached England. He retired after riding for several Northern tracks, but came back in 1934 to assist Birmingham when that team was revived. Went back to Lancashire to lead the Liverpool team in 1936, and again captained the side. He was runner-up in the 1936 Provincial Riders’ Championship, being only two points behind the winner, George Greenwood.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/cigarettecards.html

49 minutes ago, gustix said:

Speedway Museum Online carries both sets of cigarette cards. I could see no reference on Ogdens in regard to Tom Price, but there is one on Players which appears correct?

PLAYERS CIGARETTE CARDS

Speedway
Riders

Tommy Price

(Liverpool)

Thomas Arthur Price, a Lancashire lad born at Burscough Bridge in 1907, started his speedway career at Preston soon after the sport reached England. He retired after riding for several Northern tracks, but came back in 1934 to assist Birmingham when that team was revived. Went back to Lancashire to lead the Liverpool team in 1936, and again captained the side. He was runner-up in the 1936 Provincial Riders’ Championship, being only two points behind the winner, George Greenwood.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/cigarettecards.html

The confusion appears to be that while the character details are correct in regard to the northern based rider, the illustration used is in fact the better known 1949 world champion Tommy Price of Wembley.

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Ales Dryml.

Antonin Kasper

Lubos Tomicek

Piotr Pawlicki

One was Polish junior champ in 1983 the other a couple of decades later

14 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

There's been at least 3  Pete Smiths

2 x Peter Karlsson

2 x Ian Stead

2 x Graham Jones

John Jorgensen and Johnny Jorgensen

I think there were at least 2 Jan Andersens as well as Jan Andersson

2 x John Williams  (one who went by the name John J Williams)

2 x Paul Coopers.  (One rode for Scunthorpe at Quibell Park , one rode for Scunthorpe at the EWR)

2 x Finn Jensen

Given that I'm a Sheffield fan, how on earth could I have forgotten about Pete Smith (the one with the glasses in the mid 70s was from Sheff, even though he never rode for the Tigers), and Ian M. Stead and the other Steads! 

I seem to remember a Paul Cooper riding for Newcastle in 1986 as well, don't know if he would have been the same one at Quibell Park, bearing in mind the last time that place was used for speedway was 1978. I know he wasn't the same one that rode for Sheffield in the 2000s. 

Wasn’t there two Damian Balinski’s?The elder being the uncle of the younger?

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Wasn’t there two Damian Balinski’s?The elder being the uncle of the younger?

The ex-swindon rider

https://speedway.com.pl/riders/damian-balinski/

His brother:

https://speedway.com.pl/riders/dariusz-balinski/

and his nephew:

https://speedway.com.pl/riders/damian-balinski-2/

20 hours ago, norbold said:

Tommy Price - one from the North who rode for Liverpool and Preston  and the one born in Cambridge who rode for Wembley and won the World Championship in 1949. As totally confused by Brian Belton in his book, Hammerin' Round!

Hammerin' round confused a lot of us trying to read it. Did the author ever go to watch racing at West Ham.

• Like 1

In 1946 there was Jack White at Sheffield and Jack (D) White at New Cross.

Peter Thompson at Bradford in 1956 and his namesake at Exeter in 1974.

Richard Knight (King's Lynn) and Richard (R) Knight at Stoke in 1994.

Rob Homer (Birmingham 1971) and Rob Homer (Stoke 1994).

Ron Cooper (Cradley Heath mid-1960s) and Ron Cooper (Boston late-1970s).

John McKinlay (Cradley Heath Juniors late-1980s) and his father John (Ken) McKinlay.

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Hammerin' round confused a lot of us trying to read it. Did the author ever go to watch racing at West Ham.

I doubt it very much. Just about the only passages that were accurate were the ones he lifted word for word from my Speedway in London without any thanks or acknowledgement whatsoever.

• Like 1

There are also the two Danes who I think might be related

Kenneth Hansen & Kenni Hansen,who I guess his full name is also Kenneth.I Danish they also have their middle name,so maybe qualify for the other thread

Kenneth Kruse Hansen

Kenni Trasborg Hansen

35 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Mason Wear and Mason Wear. the rider and  the sponsor.

Good one, although I thought we concluded his surname was Weir?

• Confused 1