British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

revamped Dev League 2019

On 2/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, Speedway fan said:

REVAMPED DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE FOR 2019

Following a successful AGM for the Midland and Southern Development Leagues at Perry Barr Stadium, Birmingham the format and teams for the 2019 season is now known.

The new campaign sees a revamped set up with the amalgamation of the two leagues following the withdrawals of several clubs in 2019. The league will now be known as the Midland and Southern Development League (M + SDL) with six teams involved with a possible seventh with Weymouth awaiting news of being based at another track in 2019 .

The teams will meet once home and away with the league decided on points only with the team at the top of the table at the end of the season crowned champions.

Coming to the start line definitely are Birmingham Bulls, Carmarthen Dragons (at Stoke), Isle of Wight Wizards, Milton Keynes Knights (at Birmingham), Plymouth and Reading Racers(at Eastbourne).

Missing from the 2018 two league set up are Belle Vue, Kent, Peterborough and possibly Weymouth for differing reasons .

It means that 2018 champions in each section Kent and Peterborough are not back to defend their titles. Plymouth return to the fold taking over from Exeter who raced out of their track last year.

The league will again be co-ordinated by Birmingham co-promoter Laurence Rogers , who continues his long association with this league.

Each team will nominate squads of six riders with a rider pool of others formed to enable sides to use these riders when they are missing and although guests can be utilised when sides are shorthanded the use of rider replacement is to be a last resort when at short notice a side cannot track four riders. Any interested riders who are not in squads and want to be included in the rider pool are asked to e-mail their contact details and base to : laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk

Additionally the Northern Junior League and the new M+SDL co-ordinators are preparing rider lists so that any opportunities for meetings in the two leagues can incorporate them when teams are in need of riders.

The race format for the M+SDL remains unchanged with four rider teams over 6 heats with opportunities for 125/ 150 , 250 and Y500 races after heats 2, 4 and 6 but points scored not counting in team totals.

Eligibility for teams has changed slightly with clubs allowed to still use two riders named in National League teams at the start of the season. This can be one rider with a NL average of less than 3.01 and one less than 2.01 or two riders less than 2.01. If their average goes above this throughout the season they are still eligible to ride in this league. Additionally if another member of any squad gains a NL team place after the start of the new season this does not affect their eligibility or that of others in the initial squad. Riders must be British on a UK passport riding on an ACU licence.

The six clubs are looking at staging the League Riders Championship with a possible neutral venue being looked at .

League Co-ordinator Laurence Rogers was very pleased with the outcome of the AGM, “ There was a lot of co-operation between the clubs at the AGM and the solution to amalgamate the two leagues was the most sensible solution . It is a pity that we have lost a few clubs but the league will continue to offer young rider their first step into team and league racing. If you look at he long list of riders who started at this level from 2011 who progressed on to higher leagues then the Development League certainly has and will continue to do its job in British Speedway.”

“Belle Vue will do some challenge meetings at this level and Scunthorpe have shown an interest in doing the same. It is a pity that Peterborough are not back to try to make it three league wins in a row whilst we hope that Kent and Weymouth can be back at the tapes again in the near future.”

“The most important thing is that this level of league speedway continues and that the sides trying to get the sport back at Milton Keynes, Reading  etc finally achieve that aim but whilst they strive for this they keep those club names alive”

2019 M+SDL :     Birmingham,  Carmarthen , Isle of Wight, Milton Keynes, Plymouth, Reading. Weymouth (tbc).

Weymouth Wildcats to race at Wimborne Road Poole in 2019.  Meetings will take place on Thursdays after the Pirates SGBP meeting on dates still to be advised.  On those selected dates, the Pirates will forego any interval, so that the Wildcats can follow on immeadiately the Poole meeting ends,

More details to follow......

• Like 3

On 2/14/2019 at 2:34 PM, gustix said:

A not yet taken place conversation:

Enthusiast: I want to watch Birmingham Bulls. Where is their actual track?

Supporter: They race at Stoke.

Enthusiast: Well I'll go to watch Carmarthen Dragons then.

Supporter: Again you will have to go Stoke.

Enthusiast: A bit bewildering. How about Isle of Wight Wizards?

Supporter: In that case you need to visit Birmingham.

Enthusiast: My workload takes me to Milton Keynes so I can visit them.

Supporter: Errr! You have to go Birmingham then.

Enthusiast: I know there is a senior team at Plymouth. No problems involved there.

Supporter: Sorry, they are actually based at Eastbourne.

Enthusiast: Reading was an old established team years ago. They look a likely venue.

Supporter: They are a fair distance from where the name implies. It's Eastbourne again.

Enthusiast: In that case I'll switch to football and watch Tottenham.

Supporter: I think you will find they may use Wembley Stadium!

Actually the Isle of Wight Wizards will race at the Isle of Wight for their home meetings. The squad will be made up of either Islanders or regular members of My First Skid - also located on the Isle of Wight

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Actually the Isle of Wight Wizards will race at the Isle of Wight for their home meetings. The squad will be made up of either Islanders or regular members of My First Skid - also located on the Isle of Wight

I think you missed the joke Barry.  

• Sad 1

Surprised Reading haven't approached Swindon about racing there due to locality, especially with the situation now where they will be running standalone meetings following training schools at Arlington.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pete cc said:

I think you missed the joke Barry.  

There wasn't a joke to miss.

It was resident troll "Gustix" being an idiot.   When everyone pointed out he was being his usual trolling self he deleted his posts (as he normally does), leaving the thread looking rather odd apart from the fact that he can't delete what others had already quoted.

• Like 2

Let's get back to good news...

Racers Move Closer To Home.
The air is full of excitement and methanol fumes as the Reading Speedway management team have made a shock last minute switch in their plans for the 2019 season.
The exiled Racers team will still take their place in the Midland & Southern Development League but will now race their home matches just down the M4 at Swindon after travelling to Eastbourne for the last two seasons.
Racers' Emma Pike contacted the Wiltshire club when there were rumours concerning the future of the Eastbourne raceway at the end of last season, but there seemed to be no chance of a move.
With Eastbourne continuing to race but moving the Development League matches to Sundays- where they would stage stand alone matches - the club were all set for another season in Sussex.
However a last minute offer from Robins co-promoter Lee Kilby proved to be too good to turn down for the bosses of the nomadic team.
Emma quickly asked team managers Gene Carter and Mat Stevens to contact the riders who had already committed to 2019 to ensure they could accommodate not only the change in venue, but also in race night. The Racers will stage six "home" league matches which will follow Swindon's Premier League contests on either Monday or Thursday nights. 
Emma commented "While we remain ever grateful to the Eastbourne management for continuing to accommodate us, this was really a no-brainer. We're so excited to be able to offer all those Reading fans that have missed seeing their team for so long, the opportunity to travel just along the M4 to see the winged wheel on track again. Also we hope to take advantage by securing more sponsorship, which as an amateur club with no income, we rely on massively."
While Swindon is currently the closest the Racers can possibly get to racing in Reading, the management team haven't given up on bringing the club home and their fourth member, Andy Griffin, has been busy meeting people regarding the search for a suitable site. 
With Kilby's addition to the promotional ranks at Swindon, the club agreed it is important to support the Development League level of the sport.
Lee stated "We're really happy to help the Racers get on track a bit closer to home, with the added bonus of giving the Robins fans some extra value for money. We'll be offering six extra heats of action at no extra charge on the gate at least six times during the season, which is great news"
Emma and her team wished to express their gratitude to Lee and rest of the Swindon management for facilitating this arrangement, as the clubs now confer on dates for the Racers matches, with full details to be released soon.

• Like 1

Great news Skydog, Swindon is much more sensible for lots of reasons, and good luck to all concerned. 

On 2/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, Reliant Robin said:

Surprised Reading haven't approached Swindon about racing there due to locality, especially with the situation now where they will be running standalone meetings following training schools at Arlington.

Maybe someone heard me!

Look forward to seeing the Racers at Swindon in 2019

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

Maybe someone heard me!

I so wanted to reply to you but I couldn't!!

• Like 1