British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

revamped Dev League 2019

REVAMPED DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE FOR 2019

Following a successful AGM for the Midland and Southern Development Leagues at Perry Barr Stadium, Birmingham the format and teams for the 2019 season is now known.

The new campaign sees a revamped set up with the amalgamation of the two leagues following the withdrawals of several clubs in 2019. The league will now be known as the Midland and Southern Development League (M + SDL) with six teams involved with a possible seventh with Weymouth awaiting news of being based at another track in 2019 .

The teams will meet once home and away with the league decided on points only with the team at the top of the table at the end of the season crowned champions.

Coming to the start line definitely are Birmingham Bulls, Carmarthen Dragons (at Stoke), Isle of Wight Wizards, Milton Keynes Knights (at Birmingham), Plymouth and Reading Racers(at Eastbourne).

Missing from the 2018 two league set up are Belle Vue, Kent, Peterborough and possibly Weymouth for differing reasons .

It means that 2018 champions in each section Kent and Peterborough are not back to defend their titles. Plymouth return to the fold taking over from Exeter who raced out of their track last year.

The league will again be co-ordinated by Birmingham co-promoter Laurence Rogers , who continues his long association with this league.

Each team will nominate squads of six riders with a rider pool of others formed to enable sides to use these riders when they are missing and although guests can be utilised when sides are shorthanded the use of rider replacement is to be a last resort when at short notice a side cannot track four riders. Any interested riders who are not in squads and want to be included in the rider pool are asked to e-mail their contact details and base to : laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk

Additionally the Northern Junior League and the new M+SDL co-ordinators are preparing rider lists so that any opportunities for meetings in the two leagues can incorporate them when teams are in need of riders.

The race format for the M+SDL remains unchanged with four rider teams over 6 heats with opportunities for 125/ 150 , 250 and Y500 races after heats 2, 4 and 6 but points scored not counting in team totals.

Eligibility for teams has changed slightly with clubs allowed to still use two riders named in National League teams at the start of the season. This can be one rider with a NL average of less than 3.01 and one less than 2.01 or two riders less than 2.01. If their average goes above this throughout the season they are still eligible to ride in this league. Additionally if another member of any squad gains a NL team place after the start of the new season this does not affect their eligibility or that of others in the initial squad. Riders must be British on a UK passport riding on an ACU licence.

The six clubs are looking at staging the League Riders Championship with a possible neutral venue being looked at .

League Co-ordinator Laurence Rogers was very pleased with the outcome of the AGM, “ There was a lot of co-operation between the clubs at the AGM and the solution to amalgamate the two leagues was the most sensible solution . It is a pity that we have lost a few clubs but the league will continue to offer young rider their first step into team and league racing. If you look at he long list of riders who started at this level from 2011 who progressed on to higher leagues then the Development League certainly has and will continue to do its job in British Speedway.”

“Belle Vue will do some challenge meetings at this level and Scunthorpe have shown an interest in doing the same. It is a pity that Peterborough are not back to try to make it three league wins in a row whilst we hope that Kent and Weymouth can be back at the tapes again in the near future.”

“The most important thing is that this level of league speedway continues and that the sides trying to get the sport back at Milton Keynes, Reading  etc finally achieve that aim but whilst they strive for this they keep those club names alive”

2019 M+SDL :     Birmingham,  Carmarthen , Isle of Wight, Milton Keynes, Plymouth, Reading. Weymouth (tbc).

An amalgamation was the only way to go. With unfortunately losing some teams, it wasn't viable to run the 2 leagues separately. It's desperately disappointing that it seems to be getting harder to run development league Speedway when we thought we were blossoming last year. Still a bigger league offers more matches for clubs if not for those riders who would have ridden in both. All in all its not a terrible outcome, at least there are still opportunities.

No mention is made of losing Exeter from the old SDL.  Are the Falcons now riding as Plymouth and, if so, where does that leave those who are trying to revive the name of the Exeter Falcons to British speedway?

Is the reason Kent are missing,because their senior team (except one) are a Development team in itself? :D

22 hours ago, pine490 said:

No mention is made of losing Exeter from the old SDL.  Are the Falcons now riding as Plymouth and, if so, where does that leave those who are trying to revive the name of the Exeter Falcons to British speedway?

I think that's a question best answered at Exeter's AGM on Monday 18th...

Thanks.  I have no particular connection with Exeter but try to follow the development league situation, albeit obviously not as closely as you, as I am an old Reading Racers fan and am pleased to see the Racers name back on track, and could not help noticing that the post above and the SGB web site both make mention of Kent, Peterborough, Belle Vue and possibly Weymouth all being lost to the development league scene, and the addition of Plymouth, but there is no mention at all of Exeter.

Always good to know there are still Racers fans around! Roll on next Monday, hopefully ithe Plymouth/Exeter situation doesn't affect the work going on behind the scenes

Whilst I'm pleased that development league speedway will continue, Is it not  a little unfair to expect lads (and most likely their dads) from the Midlands and the North to travel all the way down to the Isle of White and Plymouth at their own expense? Will their be sufficient sponsorship to cover their costs?

• Like 1

To be honest a lot of them, particularly the Midland boys were in the SDL anyway... i guess they want to ride their bikes, but i think most clubs now manage to help with sponsorship in some way

• Like 1

Certainly a very sad outcome and whilst the reasons for not running are various the over riding fact is that largely clubs don't want to host these teams. This is shown even more prominently by Weymouth having a promotion, naming half a squad and then having no available track. With so many midweek tracks it makes a league even harder to be sustainable and despite the willingness of many riders (which is often over looked when NL team selections are considered)  this year will see another mass of cobbled together away teams and ultimately more riders lost to the sport.

Enthusiast: I wonder if at some point Gustix will say something positive about current British Speedway?

Realist: Not a chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gustix said:

A not yet taken place conversation:

Enthusiast: I want to watch Birmingham Bulls. Where is their actual track?

Supporter: They race at Stoke.

Enthusiast: Well I'll go to watch Carmarthen Dragons then.

Supporter: Again you will have to go Stoke.

Enthusiast: A bit bewildering. How about Isle of Wight Wizards?

Supporter: In that case you need to visit Birmingham.

Enthusiast: My workload takes me to Milton Keynes so I can visit them.

Supporter: Errr! You have to go Birmingham then.

Enthusiast: I know there is a senior team at Plymouth. No problems involved there.

Supporter: Sorry, they are actually based at Eastbourne.

Enthusiast: Reading was an old established team years ago. They look a likely venue.

Supporter: They are a fair distance from where the name implies. It's Eastbourne again.

Enthusiast: In that case I'll switch to football and watch Tottenham.

Supporter: I think you will find they may use Wembley Stadium!

Enthusiast:    Well that's the last time I stop an old man in Penge High Street and ask for information.   I think he must have dementia.    He doesn't realise that Birmingham Bulls race at Birmingham, Isle of Wight Wizards race on the Isle of Wight, and Plymouth race at Plymouth.    I'm glad I didn't ask him about Mason Wear or any of the teams in Football League 1.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gustix said:

A not yet taken place conversation:

Enthusiast: I want to watch Birmingham Bulls. Where is their actual track?

Supporter: They race at Stoke.

Enthusiast: A bit bewildering. How about Isle of Wight Wizards?

Supporter: In that case you need to visit Birmingham.

Enthusiast: I know there is a senior team at Plymouth. No problems involved there.

Supporter: Sorry, they are actually based at Eastbourne.

I don't understand the joke.    Why is "Supporter" lying to "Enthusiast" about where teams race?    Why is he sending him to Birmingham to watch IOW instead of telling him where the IOW track is?  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gustix said:

This is an edited version of the original AGM reporto which the 'never yet taken place' interview was based. The venues for the teams in that were based on these AGM comments. On reflection I now understand more fully what was indicated and that the underlined teams were 'homeless'.

I unreservedly apologise for the extremely foolish 'mock interview' that I wrote up. My best wishes to the league for a successful 2019 season. 

The way you mis-read that original post is almost on Starman levels.  Astonishing.

I notice you've held your hands up and apologised in similar fashion on many threads recently where your trolling has backfired spectacularly.

Perhaps taking a moment or two to think before you post would be some wise advice. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

The way you mis-read that original post is almost on Starman levels.  Astonishing.

His typical behaviour. 

He posts something incredibly stupid in an attempt at trolling.   Then when the trolling attempt fails massively, he makes up some other nonsense and edits a post pretending he had made a mistake.

He usually does it on threads he started, so that once he's made a fool of himself he can delete the thread.   But he didn't start this one, so all he can do is pretend his trolling was an error

Very sad. 

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1