British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Transponders and qualifying times introduced in GP’s in 2019

Just read the article myself and I think it’s a load of crap... Being going to speedway 40 years and I think it should be all about skill not who is the fastest... I think Formula 1 Grand Prix is like watching paint dry.. Hopefully speedway Grand Prix wont be going the same way 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

Just read the article myself and I think it’s a load of crap... Being going to speedway 40 years and I think it should be all about skill not who is the fastest... I think Formula 1 Grand Prix is like watching paint dry.. Hopefully speedway Grand Prix wont be going the same way 

It will be interesting to see what the riders percieve to be the best draw. Hopefully this move by the FIM/BSI will mean the riders collectively ask the Extraleague to move the fixtures scheduled which clash with GP qualifying

http://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/7269/

Agree with Keith.  We are now giving the fastest rider the chance to pick the best staring position.   No sense in that to give open and close racing.   Formula One puts the fastest car at the front and we have zero over taking.  Rubbish.

This is a statisticians dream to calculate the best gate permutation at each GP track.   Can there be a No1 best gate pick at any track ?   If there isn't any advantage this seems a waste of time and effort. 

Unless I'm convinced by other posters I'm thinking riders will only be wanting to avoid having a particular gate twice at some tracks.  Or more importantly any starting number that means they have to ride all 5 races after a track grade.   EDIT - told this is Postion 1 only

After the 2019 season I'll be interested to know what effect having first pick or last pick on gates has on overall results.

Edited by Mark

PERSONALLY think this is something that will appeal to the riders more than the general public, most of whom won't see the time trials anyway. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

http://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/7269/

Agree with Keith.  We are now giving the fastest rider the chance to pick the best gate.   No sense in that to give open and close racing.   Formula One puts the fastest car at the front and we have zero over taking rubbish.

This is a statisticians dream to calculate the best gate permutation at each GP track.   Can there be a No1 best gate pick at any track ?   If there isn't any advantage this seems a waste of time and effort. 

Unless I'm convinced by other posters I'm thinking riders will only be wanting to avoid having a particular gate twice at some tracks.  Or more importantly any starting number that means they have to ride all 5 races after a track grade.  

After the 2019 season I'll be interested to know what effect having first pick or last pick on gates has on overall results.

Only the Rider drawn at No.1 gets 5 starts after the track grade, but he does get two starts off the I/S gate.

• Like 1

Seems a bizzare move.  Surely the best races often occur when a top rider is often a less than favourable gate and has to pick their way from the back.  One rider gating seven times from the same start position does not provide the best racing.

Edited by lucifer sam

I like the idea.  Fair play for trying something new.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Only the Rider drawn at No.1 gets 5 starts after the track grade, but he does get two starts off the I/S gate.

Who do we know that may have software that could tell us the stats from the 2018 comp as regards the most successful draw over the series down to the least successful ?

Edited by racers and royals

So the fastest rider from friday can pick 5 red gates for saturdays meeting? Because thats what is says. It doesnt say the fastest can pick his starting number..

Edited by f-s-p

24 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PERSONALLY think this is something that will appeal to the riders more than the general public, most of whom won't see the time trials anyway. 

the quicker riders will love it as they will get a bigger advantage over the slower riders on gate picks.    what is the point with that if we want to see exciting racing.

Edited by Mark

Sorry don’t understand this?  It means that the fastest rider can pick in starting position in the 1-16 with those pre determined gates? Or that in each individual race the fastest rider can choose his starting gate as in all 5 rides from gate 1?  What happens in the semis and finals? Gate positions given out as previous to highest point scorers or the fastest in practice?

6 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

So the fastest rider from friday can pick 5 red gates for saturdays meeting? Because thats what is says. It doesnt say the fastest can pick his starting number..

It is what it says.

I only hope it's poorly worded and means the rider can pick his "draw position" rather than his "start position", as it states.

Edited by lucifer sam

9 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Who do we know that my have software that could tell us the stats from the 2018 comp as regards the most successful draw over the series down to the least successful ?

we need Smolinski back in the GP, he said even when he sits on the toilet he is thinking.     the crafty German would find a mathmatical advantage in all the stats.