British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Transponders and qualifying times introduced in GP’s in 2019

Hope they remember to place the ponder in the same place in every bike. :lol:

• Like 2

SGP must have used the same person to write and put this release out as the bspa do for the rules etc. 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

Hope they remember to place the ponder in the same place in every bike. :lol:

Good point

Also what happens when one rider reaches the line on the back wheel with the bars slightly crossed against a rider pointly dead straight

The straight wheel could reach the line first but the transponder be behind the rider with the crossed bars.....

46 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

SGP must have used the same person to write and put this release out as the bspa do for the rules etc. 

Paul Burbidge is the main writer ??

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Good point

Also what happens when one rider reaches the line on the back wheel with the bars slightly crossed against a rider pointly dead straight

The straight wheel could reach the line first but the transponder be behind the rider with the crossed bars.....

If all the ponders are at the same place, thats it and up to you how to finish the race. If you had a wheelie by accident, your loss if you lose because of it. In cross country skiing they have their ponders in a bracelet around the ankle I think. Thats why they always try push their leg forward when finishing.

I’ve actually lost a podium finish in radio controlled car racing way back in time because my ponder was mounted at the back of my car. Had I mounted it on the very nose end of the car (which I did after the race in question) I would have made that extra lap and passed the other guy cos his battery faded. I’m not bitter about it... Just that sometimes at night I wake up and think about... :lol:

1 minute ago, f-s-p said:

If all the ponders are at the same place, thats it and up to you how to finish the race. If you had a wheelie by accident, your loss if you lose because of it. In cross country skiing they have their ponders in a bracelet around the ankle I think. Thats why they always try push their leg forward when finishing.

I’ve actually lost a podium finish in radio controlled car racing way back in time because my ponder was mounted at the back of my car. Had I mounted it on the very nose end of the car (which I did after the race in question) I would have made that extra lap and passed the other guy cos his battery faded. I’m not bitter about it... Just that sometimes at night I wake up and think about... :lol:

That would be a fundamental change to who wins a race though

At the moment its any part of the bike cutting the plane of the finishing line (usually the front wheel) but would now be the transponder

18 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

That would be a fundamental change to who wins a race though

At the moment its any part of the bike cutting the plane of the finishing line (usually the front wheel) but would now be the transponder

If you incorporate the ponder in to the fork cover, thats it and everyone knows the deal and cant complain.

11 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

If you incorporate the ponder in to the fork cover, thats it and everyone knows the deal and cant complain.

Agree thats seems the logical position. Need to be identically placed independantly and the riders not allowed to meddle

That should cover almost all eventualities

If I was Woffinden, I'd make sure I recorded the slowest time in free practice so he gets the best of the track after a fresh grade

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

If I was Woffinden, I'd make sure I recorded the slowest time in free practice so he gets the best of the track after a fresh grade

HOW does that work? I'm confused... surely the best way to get the starting number you want is to be the fastest? If you are the slowest you get what is left after 15 others have made there pick.

1 minute ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HOW does that work? I'm confused... surely the best way to get the starting number you want is to be the fastest? If you are the slowest you get what is left after 15 others have made there pick.

He is talking about the free practice before the flying laps, which determine 1 to 16 start. Presumably the slowest in free practice goes 1st in the flying laps.

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

No, it says the slowest in free practice gets to record a time in the qualifiers first and fastest last.

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

No, it says the slowest in free practice gets to record a time in the qualifiers first and fastest last.

AS I understand it the track will be graded after each flying lap... may be wrong but it would be unfair if that wasn't the case.

8 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Ah, so Free Practice becomes a slow bicycle race! :D

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Ah, so Free Practice becomes a slow bicycle race! :D

If I was a rider yes. Would certainly want to do my flying laps on a tip top track