British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Transponders and qualifying times introduced in GP’s in 2019

23 minutes ago, Trees said:

It's the profit they make that speedway misses out on ...

But how much profit would there be to miss out on if Cardiff would only be KL or Coventry for 8k crowd by BSPA?

If they make money, they’ve earned it.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

AND BSI pay the FIM millions each year for the commercial rights.

Not exactly millions - a couple of million a year, and the exact amount appears to be linked to certain earnings. It certainly also used to be the case that the FIM paid the prize money out of this as well.

On 5/19/2019 at 7:49 AM, Trees said:

So the PZM take all the gate monies, sponsorship and TV monies from that GP? If they do then great .... I eat my words, well done BSI!

Has been reported in Sportowe Fakty that Gorzow kept all the receipts for the GPS held there. Council paid fee to bsi in order to promote city. So in the speedway club did very well out of the deal 

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Not exactly millions - a couple of million a year, and the exact amount appears to be linked to certain earnings. It certainly also used to be the case that the FIM paid the prize money out of this as well.

MORE than one million is millions...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MORE than one million is millions...

How much did they pay for the rights 24 years ago?  I'm guessing that's the only money they paid to the FIM?  One year to run, then what?

10 minutes ago, Trees said:

How much did they pay for the rights 24 years ago?  I'm guessing that's the only money they paid to the FIM?  One year to run, then what?

IT wasn't 24 years ago ... John Postlethwaite and BSI first bought the commercial rights from the FIM in 1999/2000 and then JP sold out to IMG, the current holders whose contract is up for renewal in 2021. IMG also pay licence fees to the FIM for each SGP. 

Believe there are a number of companies showing an initial interest in the SGP and SON but IMG and their relatively new American owners are a vast organisation with a great deal of financial muscle and if they deem it worthwhile reinvesting then I would imagine they would be in the driving seat. 

31 minutes ago, Trees said:

Google it to find out. I recently read that sum from a Finnish magazine but cant rember the timeframe, sum or currency exactly so there’s no point of writing them here. It was public info.

22 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

IT wasn't 24 years ago ... John Postlethwaite and BSI first bought the commercial rights from the FIM in 1999/2000 and then JP sold out to IMG, the current holders whose contract is up for renewal in 2021. IMG also pay licence fees to the FIM for each SGP. 

Believe there are a number of companies showing an initial interest in the SGP and SON but IMG and their relatively new American owners are a vast organisation with a great deal of financial muscle and if they deem it worthwhile reinvesting then I would imagine they would be in the driving seat. 

Of course they didn't take over straight away after the end of the one off finals, apologies!  It annoys me to the core that these 'companies' are reaping the benefits of league speedway but it's the way of the world so ..........

Is it permissible to return to the subject of this topic? :rolleyes:

I note that the top 7 riders in qualifying, all finished outside the top 7 in the GP scores. Working down the qualification list, all the riders from 8th downwards (including those not there) "improved" their position.

To put it another way, the top scorers and their qualifying positions were:

Patryk Dudek  10th
Fredrik Lindgren  11th
Niels-Kristian Iversen  8th
Leon Madsen  9th
Bartosz Smektala  12th
Bartosz Zmarzlik  "16th"
Antonio Lindback  13th

Based this rather limited statistical sample, it doesn't look like qualifying well, necessarily leads to the best final score.

56 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Based this rather limited statistical sample, it doesn't look like qualifying well, necessarily leads to the best final score.

Personally, I would think that it's the mid-table qualifiers (and lower) who have the advantage, as they can choose who their opponents are, and where they are starting from. Being one of the fastest only really gives you the option of choosing the races and gates; you just have to wait and see what happens from there.

Steve

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

Personally, I would think that it's the mid-table qualifiers (and lower) who have the advantage, as they can choose who their opponents are, and where they are starting from. Being one of the fastest only really gives you the option of choosing the races and gates; you just have to wait and see what happens from there.

Steve

Interesting slant. It will certainly take some quick thinking based on the choices made by riders ahead of you in the process. Maybe riders will concentrate on just a small number of their opponents as the championship develops.

As one of the riders pointed out in interview, even the gate choice wasn't that much of an advantage since the riders don't go from the gate(s) in practice. I still think I'd tend to go out in heat 4 as my first ride since you can at least see any obvious track problems or advantages from watching the first three. 

An early conclusion for me,  is that it's probably too early to tell if there is any advantage based on qualification position.

There has been a little rule change... the slowest rider from free practice will not automaticly start at first for the qualifying but there will be a draw now. 

16:30: draw for qualifying
17:30 - 19:00: free practice
19:00 - 20:00: qualifying

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

There has been a little rule change... the slowest rider from free practice will not automaticly start at first for the qualifying but there will be a draw now. 

16:30: draw for qualifying
17:30 - 19:00: free practice
19:00 - 20:00: qualifying

Sensible as the previous system was stupid.  Discussed on here as open to manipulation. 

If we can see the loophole why cant the organisers.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

I finding the qualifying system more interesting at the third gap then the first. Obviously the slowest in practice going first was ditched by round 2, that was needed. Now riders are being interviewed after they selected their rider number, so now we getting into the riders mind as to why they chose that number. Only an ardent speedway fan would appreciate the whole qualifying system though, I think. To someone channel flicking it would look very boring and not particularly turn people on to the sport, but I don’t think that is the purpose.