British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Transponders and qualifying times introduced in GP’s in 2019

14 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT does that mean the conditions were the same for all the cars?

Nope, different tyre stratergys/compounds. Varied weather across different corners. Gusty winds,different set ups.

So many variables in motorsport to make any comparison hold any water.

6 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Yes, but all the cars in an F1 GP are on-track at the same time, so it's the same for everyone at any given moment. That's not the case with a Speedway GP.

BY god, we are on the same page:t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BT sport 2 will be showing qualifying from Warsaw on Friday 17th May 6pm.

Grand Prix itself is on BT ESPN Saturday 18th 17.30pm

• Like 1

When the individual qualifying times are known it might take forever for some riders to decide which riding number they prefer. They have trouble picking gates for heat one in a league match and very often have to consult with others before they can decide.

• Like 1

Totally unneccessary new gimmick this SGP qualifying. We are not Formula 1. Who cares about riding numbers?  

1 minute ago, Bavarian said:

Totally unneccessary new gimmick this SGP qualifying. We are not Formula 1. Who cares about riding numbers?  

No rider wants number 1 as they race after a grade 5 times.   This is a maths expert dream as some numbers who give more inside or outside gates will be shown as helpful to lead out the first bend.  But if the rider doesn't drop the clutch it means nothing.  Phil Morris said he will even up the gates which confirms your post.  If the gates are equal who cares.

Riders will be asked there reason for picking a number.   Can't wait to hear those.    Maybe an inside gate on there first two rides as that could be an advantage.

21 hours ago, Mark said:

No rider wants number 1 as they race after a grade 5 times.   This is a maths expert dream as some numbers who give more inside or outside gates will be shown as helpful to lead out the first bend.  But if the rider doesn't drop the clutch it means nothing.  Phil Morris said he will even up the gates which confirms your post.  If the gates are equal who cares.

Riders will be asked there reason for picking a number.   Can't wait to hear those.    Maybe an inside gate on there first two rides as that could be an advantage.

Surely 5 rides after a track grade would supply the most consistent track conditions during the evening? However the bigger issue for making the rider draw a bigger thing is that riders currently use/display their own race numbers, at present the draw takes place behind the scenes and the program generated from there. By bringing it into the foreground we will have the beauty of rider number 88 riding at number 4, rider #25 at number 3, rider #3 number 14 and so on, its just going to look a complete mess. 

26 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Surely 5 rides after a track grade would supply the most consistent track conditions during the evening? However the bigger issue for making the rider draw a bigger thing is that riders currently use/display their own race numbers, at present the draw takes place behind the scenes and the program generated from there. By bringing it into the foreground we will have the beauty of rider number 88 riding at number 4, rider #25 at number 3, rider #3 number 14 and so on, its just going to look a complete mess. 

I think the main complaint about riding at No.1 is the fact that tracks are generally watered during the grading process.

As for your second point, I'm not sure what you mean, as all riders use their Personal number anyway.

3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I think the main complaint about riding at No.1 is the fact that tracks are generally watered during the grading process.

As for your second point, I'm not sure what you mean, as all riders use their Personal number anyway.

I can see the watering as an issue although i could see the track being more even and giving each rider a fairer chance being a factor.

What i was meaning re the second point is that now rides use their personal numbers but the SGP process is going to bring rider number picks to the forefront so to the fans who don't think that reading the rule book is excellent bedtime fodder its going to create greater confusion. Rider #88 has first pick of riding position so rider #88 picks position #7 cue question from another observer "why doesn't he wear number 7 then?" 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:23 PM, iris123 said:

You didn’t bump into Lucifer Sam (on here) ? He uses 5 or 6 different colored pens to fill in his Programme to mark out various things !!!! :blink:

Nah, just the two ;)

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I can see the watering as an issue although i could see the track being more even and giving each rider a fairer chance being a factor.

What i was meaning re the second point is that now rides use their personal numbers but the SGP process is going to bring rider number picks to the forefront so to the fans who don't think that reading the rule book is excellent bedtime fodder its going to create greater confusion. Rider #88 has first pick of riding position so rider #88 picks position #7 cue question from another observer "why doesn't he wear number 7 then?" 

the riders complain that Phil Morris over waters and that is why Number 1 is not a good draw.    A guess but number 1 will be one of the last numbers left to pick in every GP.    

I agree the numbers riders choose make it hard for fans.    The rider with 1 on his back should be the previous year Champion.    Its a gimmick to alow riders to market there own clothing and other merchandise.   Woffinden sells his merch with 108

Edited by Mark

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, Mark said:

the riders complain that Phil Morris over waters and that is why Number 1 is not a good draw.    A guess but number 1 will be one of the last numbers left to pick in every GP.    

I agree the numbers riders choose make it hard for fans.    The rider with 1 on his back should be the previous year Champion.    Its a gimmick to alow riders to market there own clothing and other merchandise.   Woffinden sells his merch with 108

I can only recall one rider ever winning a GP riding at Number 1. Antonio Lindback at Cardiff.

This thread really proves Speedway fans will moan about anything...

Interesting point raised by Jim Lawrence (SCB Chairman) at the NSSC last night.

8 years ago they trialled transponders at an Ice meeting where Jim was the referee. In one race a rider crossed the line doing a wheelie and his transponder was too high to trigger a response to/from the under-track wiring (Receivers)

On 4/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, Noodles said:

BT sport 2 will be showing qualifying from Warsaw on Friday 17th May 6pm.

Grand Prix itself is on BT ESPN Saturday 18th 17.30pm

IT is my understanding that coverage of all practice sessions at 2019 SGPs will be screened via YouTube... certainly both Nigel Pearson and Kelvin Tatum will be in attendance.

• Like 1