British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

The Name's NOT the Same...

36 minutes ago, gustix said:

"Fork handles please!"

And you have the temerity to claim that I deviated? Bill hooks!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Wally Hill rode for Mildenhall throughout 1984   http://speedwayresearcher.org.uk/mildenhall1984.pdf

One letter away from Wally Hull of 1940s Belle Vue

Wally Hull had a more distinguished Belle Vue career than being "just a 1940s rider." This is an extract from an article by my old friend the esteemed John Chaplin in regard to Wally Hull's speedway career.

John Chaplin wrote: "Walter (Wally) Hull, a distinguished Belle Vue Ace of yesteryear who first took to the track in 1928 at the famous meeting on the Audenshaw trotting circuit just outside Manchester which was staged a mere three weeks after High Beech.

"When things really got going, he graced several pre-war London teams including Wimbledon, Lea Bridge and Hackney Wick, besides Sheffield, and was a member of the England side which defeated Australia 56-39 in the second Test of the historic first series in 1930.

"There was another tilt at the Antipodeans in the fourth Test, again at Belle Vue, which ran out another England win at 51-45.

"Wally played a significant part in the dominant Belle Vue steamroller that monopolised most of the club honours in the mid-30s right up to the war. He didn’t ride again immediately after the war when league racing returned in 1946 but made a comeback in 1947, once again in Aces colours, helping them win the National Trophy for the seventh time. Two years later, he became team manager at Sheffield, then promoted by Alice Hart.

"He has been described as tall and gentlemanly."

Edited by Guest

Bit of an easy one, but didn't Jon Cook have a short unspectacular career at Eastbourne?   One letter away from the rather more successful John Cook

4 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Steve Bass of Long Eaton (1970-73) and Steve Bast the less successful of a couple of 70s American brothers

Thanks for the unintentional nudge; Chris Bass and Bristol's Chris Boss!

Steve

A Youngster who did a dozen or more meetings for Newcastle in 1979/80, Paul Brown is just one letter and a slight rearrangement away from Paul Bowen.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

You have no idea what my deleted Post was about! Have you thought/considered that it may/was nothing related to this thread? In which case there would have been no reason to leave it standing. Next query please!

And how do you know the Post was not taken down by a Mod if there had been another Member's REPORT in regard to it? You don't - you are just surmising that I used the HIDE facility!

With respect, your posts aren't usually reportable, its just the bone headedness of them that probably is.  

I'm trying to think of a name or two to contribute as i know deviation from threads upsets you John.

Couple more Aussies; Dave Wills (West Ham) and Dave Mills (Hull).

7 hours ago, chunky said:

Couple more Aussies; Dave Wills (West Ham) and Dave Mills (Hull).

I was at Custom House the night Dave Wills had his fatal accident. A very sad night and never forgotten.

The same bloke..Broadbank/s

Andersen Andersson..Nielsen Nilsen..Olsen Olsson...

Following Mr. Plinge's tactic of rearranging letters, Aussie Mick Powell was preceded by Mike Powell, who rode one match for Newport in 1975.

Steve

5 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Andersen Andersson..Nielsen Nilsen..Olsen Olsson...

Two letters different, one letter different, two letters different.

Anyway, that's easy; we are talking about FULL names. If we kept it to just surnames, there would be many more.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Stan Stevens/Seemond Stephens