British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The Good Old Days

It did make me laugh what Mr Godfrey said in the speedway star this week  that he believes speedway was overrated in the 60s,70s,80s.He believes it is every bit as good nowadays if not better, i really thought that was a strange comment to make.lf he is correct why have  the crowds dropped off  so badly? but what i will say is Scunthorpe for racing is one of best tracks that i have  ever seen racing and Mr Godfrey should be applauded for that.

• Like 1

It's incredible to reflect that the 20,000 attendances I used to be part of at New Cross circa late 1940s probably exceeds the total overall number of weekly spectators for all British tracks these days.

4 hours ago, gustix said:

It's incredible to reflect that the 20,000 attendances I used to be part of at New Cross circa late 1940s probably exceeds the total overall number of weekly spectators for all British tracks these days.

Incredible and demoralising. As a boy watching the Hammers I thought it would never end. Being at Wembley for the 1981 world final I thought the same. Sad how wrong I was.