British Speedway Forum
iwright71

Rob Godfrey interview in Speedway Star

7 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Please can we get back on topic i.e. the underwhelming and depressing article by the uninspiring vice chairman Godfrey....?

no point the thread is fukt now, start one on tropical fish

Edited by Byker Biker

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Trouble is I don't have those facilities on my TV...don't subscribe to anything other than the 'bog' standard!

The number of studio and pitchside experts deployed to live sport broadcasts is becoming ludicrous. David Coleman and his like didn't need that, and what is more they wouldn't have tolerated it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

no point the thread is fukt now, start one on tropical fish

Are you sure that RobGodfrey is aware of the difference between, freshwater fish, UK sea fish or tropical fish? An area for confusion if ever there was one were he to be asked to comment on it.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

The number of studio and pitchside experts deployed to live sport broadcasts is becoming ludicrous. David Coleman and his like didn't need that, and what is more they wouldn't have tolerated it.

Yes and all those 'screaming' commentators with their over the top commentary. Kenneth Wolstenholme ("They think it's all over...") was once quoted as saying that one should keep the commentary simple and not feel the need to constantly talk/shout but let the action often speak for itself.

Edited by steve roberts

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes and all those 'screaming' commentators with their over the top commentary. Kenneth Wolstenholme ("They think it's all over...") was once quoted as saying that one should keep the commentary simple and not feel the need to constantly talk/shout but let the action often speak for itself.

Sadly it seems the first rule of commentating is to ensure no silences, but of course this is the age of constant noise, much of it of poor quality. Barry Davies was another from the old school now consigned to obsolescence, Peter Alliss is probably the only surviving one.

I am certain that Rob Godfrey would agree with this.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Sadly it seems the first rule of commentating is to ensure no silences, but of course this is the age of constant noise, much of it of poor quality. Barry Davies was another from the old school now consigned to obsolescence, Peter Alliss is probably the only surviving one.

Don't forget John Arlott, Brian Johnson, Henry Blofeld etc... :cheers:

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Don't forget John Arlott, Brian Johnson, Henry Blofeld etc... :cheers:

Steve

I liked their little stories, when time and excitement allowed. Good chat in the box during the last test matches. :P 

• Like 1

It's worth pointing out that the broadcasters mentioned (all very good) were public service broadcasters. I suspect that people working for Sky, BT are expected to 'big it up', as I believe the expression is to convince viewers that what they're paying to watch is worth the fee.

42 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I liked their little stories, when time and excitement allowed. Good chat in the box during the last test matches. :P 

...and of course the classic Brian Johnson and Jonathan Agnew interlude!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and of course the classic Brian Johnson and Jonathan Agnew interlude!

We agree with each other more that we realise Steve. :approve:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

We agree with each other more that we realise Steve. :approve:

....call it mutual respect from a distance!

• Thanks 1

Well I for one am looking forward to reading about Rob Godfrey's thoughts about sports broadcasters in this week's Star. 

• Like 1

Back on topic and I think it is crystal clear from the article and other comments over the years that what Godfrey really doesn't ever want is one big League, I have always thought he sees the Championship as a Northern League and the Premier as a Midland ( south of Belle Vue) /Southern League and probably wants an 8/8 9/9 type split and 2 home and 2 away. I'm not sure how close he and Buster are, but it looks a bit of a dictatorship at the moment

The fact that it took so long apparently for Birmingham and Eastbourne to be ratified to the CL in the winter and in that 5 page article he could not mention Somerset; Birmingham or Eastbourne once again proves the point. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2019 and what the reaction to either One Big league or a North/South split is in 2020 as it seems a few Clubs already "hanging on" like Redcar / Newcastle (Nissan) and Swindon (Honda) plus others in Midlands (Wolves / Birmingham / Leicester) could be hit by sudden collapse in Car Industry and associated supply chains; and any even small loss of core support could impact on pretty much every Team, with very few exceptions.

• Like 4

On 2/12/2019 at 6:07 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

While this thread maybe full of aggression, the forum as a whole is packed with ideas from long standing, thinking and committed fans about how to improve the sport. Some are ridiculous, some are unworkable and some require the injection of unfeasibly huge amounts of cash. Some, however, might just be worth a try.

Problem is, with the exception of Barry Bishop, Neil Watson, Jayne Moss & Laurence Rogers not one single promoter or team manager engages with fans on this forum. Indeed, most of them treat it with utter contempt and even loathing. I should point out that Barry attracts 4 likes for every post he makes, a truly remarkable reflection of just how much his contribution is valued. 

Even if paying customers make constructive comment or suggestion, then, they aren't even read.

Its also indicative of just how those who run the sport view the fan who pays every week. The number of accounts of the quite dreadful way paying customers are treated is damning - I know, I have had some of that.

I'd say that much of the vilification is deserved. For me, the worst is the cheating, one-upmanship and culture of favours and corruption at the heart of the sport that leaves fans totally disillusioned. Its a bit of a long shot to say that without the decision to prevent Workington riding on Fridays last season the Comets might have survived - a decision motivated by the most appalling self interest - but it certainly didn't do them any favours.  I could probably name half a dozen occasions when rulings have been made that were completely contrary to the rules of the sport at the behest of one promoter or another.

The BSPA can legitimately blame the weather, landlords, riders, the press and heaven knows who else for the problems that the sport faces. But they can't get away from that one and I don't think the damage it has done can be overestimated. 

it is true to say that I do take time to read the forum and there is good reason for this... I, on behalf of our clubs, learn from it. I sense feeling in the written word, and I look for information and idea that can make our product better - I ask myself almost daily "How can I improve our show?" or "What makes speedway night the best it can be and how can I encourage our fans, volunteers, sponsors and riders as proud of the club as Martin and I are?" Small questions with many, many answers. So reading regularly allows me to understand what makes us as fans tick, how can I make our club stand out. So, once again I thank everyone for their contribution on the forum and as I always say... positivity sells, belief inspires, entertainment equals entry value and constructive interaction is as important as a pat on the back. Thank you See you trackside.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Barry Bishop and his partner Martin Widman do this (Barry usually, Martin is doing everything else :D).

Thing is its not difficult to appreciate your customers and the worst of it is I could probably cite about another half dozen examples similar to the above. 

I actually think things are getting better. Belle Vue's Adrian Smith, certainly, is both approachable and personable :approve: 

Actually I clean the air fence every week  :):) and you know what i am like in the build up to the meeting.... I view it from your perspective in that I want it to be just right for when our fans and visiting fans eneter the stadium - from the moment you enter until you leave you are mine... and it is my duty to entertain you 

• Like 2