British Speedway Forum
iwright71

Rob Godfrey interview in Speedway Star

Sheffield are trying by getting involved with the ice hockey team, money off for their season ticket holders and the team attending a hockey match

8 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Sheffield are trying by getting involved with the ice hockey team, money off for their season ticket holders and the team attending a hockey match

There was a strong connection with 'Cheetahs' fans and the Oxford City 'Stars' Ice Hockey Team back during the eighties. Many fans followed both sports and it generated enthusiasm for both sports. Speedway fans would meet at the rink during the off speedway season and chew the fat whilst enjoying the antics on the ice!

Edited by steve roberts

There was  was always a strong connection between Speedway and Ice Hockey going back pre war 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

There was  was always a strong connection between Speedway and Ice Hockey going back pre war 

Yes I even recall that there was a magazine that incorporated both sports.

33 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Sounds like a good idea.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Were a number of hockey teams based near speedway , Wembley and Harringay spring to mind

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Sounds like a good idea.

For this to really work Speedway and Ice Hockey teams need the same name as in Wembley Lions and Harringay Racers, a pity Peterborough did not see this.

Not sure how or when the names came about but there was already a Panthers Ice Hockey team, with a famous history. Who can forget legendary Chick Zamick?

Edited by wealdstone

5 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Who can forget legendary Chick Zamick?

Or George Beech for Wembley Lions! Or the great referee, Ernie Leecock, who would have a nervous breakdown at what goes on these days on a Hockey Rink. 

32 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Or George Beech for Wembley Lions! Or the great referee, Ernie Leecock, who would have a nervous breakdown at what goes on these days on a Hockey Rink. 

Remember them all and more.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 10:12 AM, cityrebel said:

It's hard to be positive Barry when your local tracks fold. Lakeside, Rye House, Workington & Buxton are the latest casualties, with probably more to follow. I genuinely hope speedway survives these uncertain times. I've been a fan for 51 years, from boy to man, yet every year it gets harder to go. The venues get less and the options are harder. Fingers crossed for a successful season for all tracks, but it could be a bumpy ride.

Yep I appreciate that, and you are right it does get harder. That's probably because of your 50 friends at speedway you are now the only one attending. This is the start point. On the island I recalled what it was like for me as a kid at speedway - I had different friends there, in the main, to my friends from School and Sea Cadets. So it is this that we have focused on with the island... fun, family, friendship, entertainment, community, value for money (kids always free for anything related to speedway).. speedway on the island is a show, of which the racing is the main event sure, but there are lots of little side events from mascots, to face painting, home made specials in the cafe, pits open.... even me getting a megaphone to drive the fans nuts  :) but its a fun experience... and this is what, in my view, every track should be looking at. To be fair, we have seen a big increase in this across speedway over the last season or so.

While I do appreciate it is hard to be positive...  and I have been there beleive me... I am always positive about what we do on the Island because I totally believe it in, totally believe we can make it better (why we regularly have discussions on our show - for everyone to contribute).

Finally it is pride... we are very proud of our club. To me you visit my home when you come to Smallbrook, and while there will be problems from time to time I am very happy to explain them if needed, I am always happy to have feedback contructive or positive, and I would be gutted, totally, if fans had a crap time with us.

See you trackside and thanks for the feedback :)

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 2:13 PM, Gambo said:

Slightly off topic, but relevant to Barry, I would like to thank him for his 'attendance' at last week's Nuneaton SSC talk in.

Barry was due to appear in person but had a late change of plans with a business trip to Thailand (or Phillipines?), but still took part via a video link/facetime despite the fact that it was 3:00 am in Asia. He was on-line for quite a while and gave quite detailed responses to questions and didn't seem in a hurry to get some shuteye!

Thanks Barry.

yep that was fun.... I was in Thailand. I had to do it before for a fans forum we had and it worked pretty well, so when I realised I would have to travel, it was my duty to try to see if the same set up would work and it did actually really well.

You are right I didnt really want to end there because I would /was thinking about all the other questions I could have answered had I stayed on the line. I love our sport, our club, and working with Martin, so if people believe in what we are doing, ask questions, offer ideas, give input... it makes absolute sense to participate in them. I am always very thankful for the invitation to be honest.

In an interview with Chris Morton in this weeks Speedway Star he emphasised that promoters must put the fans first and foremost giving them  value  for money and to be treated properly .

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, barrybishop said:

so if people believe in what we are doing, ask questions, offer ideas, give input... it makes absolute sense to participate in them.

Sadly no other promoter is prepared to break the mould of "it's our game and we run it how we like". Godfrey and Chapman included. Neither are "people people" or show any serious interest in the opinion of fans.

• Like 1