British Speedway Forum
iwright71

Rob Godfrey interview in Speedway Star

Yes, a very good and interesting article by SS, reading between the lines it’s clear that Mort and Gordon, after all the hard work they put in, received some very bad treatment. Maybe there’s some more details to come out of this? 

From what I’m told Mort and PC don’t even speak to each other anymore. 

8 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Yes, a very good and interesting article by SS, reading between the lines it’s clear that Mort and Gordon, after all the hard work they put in, received some very bad treatment. Maybe there’s some more details to come out of this? 

From what I’m told Mort and PC don’t even speak to each other anymore. 

Re your first paragraph. I hardly know anything about BV since the move away from Hyde Road cause I never liked speedway on the inside of dog tracks, but when the problems at BV NSS hit the headlines I always thought there were underlying problems that never got out to the general speedway supporters. BUT, I also always thought maybe jealousy of some sort would be at its roots. The very idea that, when speedway was struggling, someone had the audacity to actually get a council to pump a large amount of money into a stadium project that actually put speedway at the centre of it, and what a superb track was the result of it.

Also, I still think that the opening meeting fiasco, there was more to that then is generally known. Sure, the track wasn’t good, and now we all know why. But for riders to refuse to ride it when they all had ridden worse tracks may times before, and many times since, I find difficult to understand.

Then Buster steps in. Chairman of the BSPA, owner of a track, wanting to take over BV. Seemed a nice gesture, but then I heard what type of Buster was thought to be.

Maybe in time someone will write a book and come clean and clear about the details....... unless there are gagging orders. Certainly I would buy a book to find the truth.

Re your second paragraph. If that is true, it is very sad to read. The two families were very, very close, I know because I came from the same small village of Partington, knew Bill and Eileen Collins, George and Hilary Morton perhaps more then the kids at that time, I am 7 years older then Peter so had a different circle of friends. The relationship between the Collins family and the Morton family was close and strong, that was obvious. So to hear there has potentially been a break down is really sad.

Edited by OveFundinFan