British Speedway Forum

Provincial League Riders Championship

That's the only one I saw as well. Trevor Redmond was desperately unlucky not to win. He was easily the best rider on the night and was well in front of Reg Reeves in their last ride when he shed his chain on the last bend.

Attended all five. (Obviously southern softies can't travel!)
PLRC-1960-EH-NM-TR.jpg

Edited by britmet
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, britmet said:

Attended all five. (Obviously southern softies can't travel!)
PLRC-1960-EH-NM-TR.jpg

I didn't go to any others because a) I was only 12 at the time of the first PR and b) I supported New Cross and then West Ham in the National League. I only took a passing interest in the PR. I went to the 1961 PR because it was at Harringay and I'd always wanted to go there as my dad and my brother used to support Harringay and go every week. By the time I was deemed old enough to go to speedway by my parents it had closed! So, I really went to see Harringay not the PR. Though it was a good meeting and as I said elsewhere on another thread, it finished in the race I still remember the most, not because of its quality, but because of how unlucky Trevor Redmond was and the great injustice of it as I felt at the time.

Edited by norbold
Typo

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Did you go to the internationale, that was also staged at Harringay that season.

I did. A great win for Ove Fundin.

Is that the Reg of the New X Rangers in 63, with Eddie Reeves the number 7.?

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

Is that the Reg of the New X Rangers in 63, with Eddie Reeves the number 7.?

Yes.

What was the case in 1964 with the final. The PL went black and NL riders were banned from riding on PL tracks and PL riders banned from the world championship I think. Then how did the SCB or whoever it was then allow the PL to host their showcase on an NL track? That seems a strange decision

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:07 PM, britmet said:

PLRC-1960-EH-NM-TR.jpg

I think the picture above must be from the 1960 final:

Trevor Redmond Bristol 15 Ken Middleditch Poole 13 Eric Hockaday Rayleigh 13 Tony Robinson Sheffield 11 Doug Templeton Edinburgh 10 Jack Kitchen Sheffield 9 Tony Lewis Poole 9 Wal Morton Liverpool 9 Ivor Brown Yarmouth 9 Tommy Roper Bradford 5 Johnnie Hole Bristol 5 Reg Reeves Rayleigh 4 Ray Day Bradford 3 Clive Featherby Cradley Heath 1 Cliff Cox Bristol 0 Norman Strachan Poole 0 Eric Eadon ® Cradley Heath 3 Ross Gilbertson ® Poole 3

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

What was the case in 1964 with the final. The PL went black and NL riders were banned from riding on PL tracks and PL riders banned from the world championship I think. Then how did the SCB or whoever it was then allow the PL to host their showcase on an NL track? That seems a strange decision

With difficulty.

Belle Vue stadium management (note not the speedway club) agreed to host the event before the PL and their riders were blacklisted.

The SCB attempted to threaten BV with expulsion from the league, but by then the NL position was so weak (Norwich were known to be closing) that the Aces simply threatened to go PL and the SCB folded. (Despite the blacklisting still being in place the Aces rode two late season challenge matches on PL tracks without any repercussions.)

• Like 1